new toy ;o) mac 2-10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain dangers

partner 1633B (skil) chainsaw
Reaction score
mcculloch 2-10 project 003.JPG mcculloch 2-10 project 002.JPG I thought I would share the unboxing of my new project/addition to the private collection. a nice old McCulloch 2-10 with lots of compression, hope to get it running in the next week ? were these sws automatic oilers as well as manual over-ride ? captain dangerous

Attachments

• mcculloch 2-10 project 006.JPG
    mcculloch 2-10 project 006.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • mcculloch 2-10 project 005.JPG
    mcculloch 2-10 project 005.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • mcculloch 2-10 project 004.JPG
    mcculloch 2-10 project 004.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
its a runner and and the automatic oiler is working, I have had it started this morning ;o) but unfortunately it does not tick-over at all no matter where the screw is set. I did look at the diaphragm and would go as far to say it could be the original? it had more wrinklesmac 2-10 carb 005.JPG /crinkles than Nora Battie's stockings ;o) are these kits still available? obviously I don't want to buy a carb kit if the problem is somewhere else like the primer ? I have no experience whatsoever of this type of carb, can they be swapped with a walbro etc should the original carb be unfixable ? I don't think the primer is working on it as it appears to suck and blow from the delivery pipe ? any answers/opinions will be greatly appreciated, photo bellow ;o)

That is the single needle version, the L adjustment is the threaded needle to the right, you make the H adjustment with that fillister head screw, literally controls how far the throttle opens but more importantly controls how far the "L" needle is pulled open which ultimately meters the fuel flow at high speeds.

There were several different primer types, but many used a small duck bill valve on the outlet, your is probably melted away. They are NLA, but you can drill the bore for them slightly to make use of the Homelite 69451 red duck bill valve. Diaphragms for those are frequently available on e-bay, check your carefully as there were at least 5 different versions of that diaphragm and they do not all interchange freely.

DSC07250.JPG

DSC07266.JPG

It is possible to swap them out, but the factory provided solution was a new tank bottom (to match the SDC carburetor) and a different AF cover to add some height. This also requires a different throttle and choke linkage, etc.

DSC03863.JPG

I have a 5-10 that someone made their own adapter to fit the SDC carburetor, but that solution won't work for your 2-10 as the AF cover is too short to accommodate the added height.

McCulloch 5-10 DC13.jpg

You might be surprised that with a few days soaking in fuel and with the proper adjustments that carburetor will function except for the primer.

Mark

P.S. I know who Nora Battie is...

Attachments

• McCulloch - 10 Series Carburetor.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
That is the single needle version, the L adjustment is the threaded needle to the right, you make the H adjustment with that fillister head screw, literally controls how far the throttle opens but more importantly controls how far the "L" needle is pulled open which ultimately meters the fuel flow at high speeds.

There were several different primer types, but many used a small duck bill valve on the outlet, your is probably melted away. They are NLA, but you can drill the bore for them slightly to make use of the Homelite 69451 red duck bill valve. Diaphragms for those are frequently available on e-bay, check your carefully as there were at least 5 different versions of that diaphragm and they do not all interchange freely.

View attachment 608978

View attachment 608979

It is possible to swap them out, but the factory provided solution was a new tank bottom (to match the SDC carburetor) and a different AF cover to add some height. This also requires a different throttle and choke linkage, etc.

View attachment 608976

I have a 5-10 that someone made their own adapter to fit the SDC carburetor, but that solution won't work for your 2-10 as the AF cover is too short to accommodate the added height.

View attachment 608977

You might be surprised that with a few days soaking in fuel and with the proper adjustments that carburetor will function except for the primer.

Mark

P.S. I know who Nora Battie is...
thanks fro the info ;o) there's deffinately no duckbill in the carb

Here is the complete 10 Series carburetor section from the workshop manual including adjustment instructions.
i finallymac 2-10 diaphragm 006.JPG mac 2-10 diaphragm 006.JPG mac 2-10 diaphragm 001.JPG mac 2-10 diaphragm 006.JPG mac 2-10 diaphragm 001.JPG mac 2-10 diaphragm 008.JPG got to take it apart again here is a photo of the diaphragm, it has improved since having petrol on it, and i'm currently soaking it for a couple of days before re-fitting, and trying it with the new duckbill valve ;o) if i can get it up and running/ ticking-over nicely i will update with a video as and when . thanks for all your help Mark its much appreciated bud ;o)

Your diaphragm look like 67357 and appears to be in very good condition. Hopefully it will limber up with some time in the fuel.

Mark
it didn't look as good as that the 1st time i took it apart Mark when i 1st got it, siting with fuel in it for a few days seems to have improved it greatly, its in a jar of petrol now and i will do all the settings on the carb to book and hopefully i will have a wonderful mac to add to the collection ;o) in the meantime i unboxed a couple of new toys, ones damarm 55 automatic right hand ,the other a danarm 55 automatic left hand. i have a funny feeling they may be actually mcculloch 1-10 seris made under licence, the air filter off the my mac 2-10 fit straight on with perfect lines/profile.(notice the bulge in the danarm airfilter cover to accommodate the tillotsondanarm 55 automatic mk 2 001.JPG danarm 55 automatic mk 2 001.JPG danarm 55 automatic mk 2 002.JPG danarm 55 automatic mk 2 003.JPG danarm 55 automatic mk 2 004.JPG danarm 55 automatic mk 2 005.JPG danarm 55 automatic mk 2 006.JPG danarm 55 automatic mk 2 007.JPG carb) more investigation is needed but here are some photos for you to ponder over Mark ;o)

I have
Mike Acres site calls the Danarm 55 a reed valve saw, I would be interested to know what you find when you pull the carburetor off.

Mark
just stripped the left hand one down as I think the big ends gone ? and it doesn't have a reed at all , they just have a basic block gasket between the cylinder and handle/carb casing casing . I will try and get some more photos this week of some of the stripped down components, so you can cast an eye over them and see any similarities with mac, the oil tank and pump looks very similar, the fly wheel is very similar to a10-10 and are prity thin at the thin part and come off the taper with ease. I have actually got the complete one running, runs very well, needed the points cleaning/setting. again I will try and get a video this week or so weather permitting ;o)

hi
Mike Acres site calls the Danarm 55 a reed valve saw, I would be interested to know what you find when you pull the carburetor off.

Mark
hi mark, I finally got to the problem on the other danarm I have in bits, with the seized piston, it transpires that a little end have given up the ghost and got a needle jammed between the piston/cylinder. pics bellow, this will more than likely be a parts saw now? unless I come across a very cheep piston/cylinder? the danarm cylinder has a cast iron lining which makes the cylinder rather heavy in comparison to modern saws, pics attached of piston and cylinder for curiosity sake. is they similarities with the macs? regards captain dangerousdanarm 55 automatic piston & cylinder 001.JPG danarm 55 automatic piston & cylinder 002.JPG danarm 55 automatic piston & cylinder 003.JPG danarm 55 automatic piston & cylinder 004.JPG

hi

hi mark, I finally got to the problem on the other danarm I have in bits, with the seized piston, it transpires that a little end have given up the ghost and got a needle jammed between the piston/cylinder. pics bellow, this will more than likely be a parts saw now? unless I come across a very cheep piston/cylinder? the danarm cylinder has a cast iron lining which makes the cylinder rather heavy in comparison to modern saws, pics attached of piston and cylinder for curiosity sake. is they similarities with the macs? regards captain dangerousView attachment 612432 View attachment 612433 View attachment 612434 View attachment 612435

and here's the danarm 55 which needed another piston and cylinder running again ;o)

Latest posts

Back