New Toys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasonGrey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got my bonus at work today and tax check should be here soon. Gonna put aside about $1,500 for new toys. Any suggestions for a novice recreational tree climber and an arborist wannabe like myself? Here is the list I have put together from the Sherrill catalog:

1) Friction Saver (72")
2) Petzl Helmet
3) False Crotch Block (2)
4) Micro Pulley
5) Art & Science of Practical Rigging
6) 200' 9/16 Stable Braid
7) Various sizes Loop Runners
8) 180' Zing-It
9) Lg. Whoopie sling

Things I already have are:
Climbing ropes, saddle, lanyards (rope and steelcore), biners, figure 8's, Tree Climbers Companion, pulleys, slings, throw bag and line, Husky 272xp, and various other little stuff.

Any other must haves for my arsenal?:confused:
Oh yeah, checking out Arbormaster training to see if there is anything close to me coming up.

Maybe a climbing saw? MS200 or 335 if you have to stay husky. I just didn't see a top handled saw there.

"Did you see the size of that cockadoodle gd-doo?"

If you want to get into some easier and more advanced techniques, I'd suggest a Pantin and maybe a handled ascender or two. I like the feel of the Petzl handled ascenders better than the CMI.
And unless you are deadly accurate throwing the throw ball (I HATE guys that can throw it 60' accurately!), a BigShot will open up loads of possibilities by being able to place a rope almost anywhere.

Good choice on the Zing-It. For some reason it isn't even listed on the Sherrill website (Sean, can you fix that?) but that crappy FlyLite is listed twice. Many buy the FlyLite because of price but it isn't worth the spool it comes wrapped on.

I'll second on the silky, climbing saw can be put off for a while with that as your handsaw. Zubat is the best allaround saw there is on the market.

Don't have a top handled saw. What is the advantage to that? I have cheap little McCullough 38cc saw if I need one in the tree. I try not to use a saw in the tree yet due to my inexperience.

Brian, you talked me into it. A Pantin and a couple of handled ascenders it will be.
Do you know if Sherrill is having a sale on any of the things I mentioned? There is an outdoor shop locally that will match many of the prices.
I am trying to find someone in the area to hang out with to learn some tricks of the trade. Anyone know anybody in the North Metro Atlanta area? I emailed TreeCo one time but never got a response.

well, of course!

You need a knife!!! All the climbers are carrying one nowadays!

love
nick

Lovey,

Why don't you put the link to your knife so he can see what the real knife carrying professionals use?:eek:

Dan, right on about the small handgun around here! This city is crazy. I moved away from the city a few years ago but the urban sprawl seem to be following. I see you are in Auburn, only about 10 min from me. Cool!:) I will email you to get together some weekend for some climbing 101. Thanks for the response.

Thanks to all others who have replied to this post as well. It's nice to see such a brotherhood of people who come together to share advice and stories. I have been addicted to this site since I first discovered it a few months ago.
Keep on keepin' on!:D

I'll second the Pantin, Brian got me hooked, and I just picked it up monday from Vermeer. Also the Jubat with the Hillbilly modification so you can wear your saw on your leg (search Hillbilly, and zubat and you should be able to find the picture).
Greg

I would suggest saveing your money and not buying a pantin. Just use your feet. Nothing to take on and off, nothing to break or fail, you don't need weight on your rope for it to work less weight is better. I would go with a kong double ascender, a rope guide or make one, fly climbing line, prussic cord fixie pulley, captive eye biner and some williams. Maybe a nicer saddle if yours isn't the best. You can never have enough throw balls and zing it. The rock climbing helmet is a good idea along with a silky. I wouldn't worry about doing the arbormaster training save your money. Their are many of us here at this site and others like it who would be glad to help you out. Thats what we are all here for. Enjoy you new toys.

Big John

Get a good helmet instead of the plastic one.

Look at the Pacific Helmet:

http://pacifichelmets.com/

http://talioncorp.com/

Sierra Moreno Mercantile and Fresco sell them.

Consider Tiger Tails for ear protection:

http://216.120.94.37/cgi-bin/WebObjects/HLSite.woa/wa/product?key=tigertails

Books:

Arborist Equipment by Don Blair, have Don sign it when you buy your helmet :)
Pruning by Ed Gilman
The Fundamentals of General Tree Work by Jerry Beranek Order it from Jerry and get his autograph too.

Good choice getting the ASPR'n video series.
Tom

I have to agree with Big John in the fact of save your money with the purchase of the Arbormaster Training videos. The videos are good and will help you to see how it is done, but if you are not responsible for training others you will only watch them once or twice for yourself. You can rent the vidoes from Wes Spur and save a lot of money. I'm not discrediting the training only the cost effectivness. Money is the bottom line.

just my thoughts

rwilk

Books

I recommend the book " Body language of trees " by Claus Mattheck. The good book very interesting ideas!
I want to ask: somebody can tell in what difference of the books "Pruning" by Ed Gilman and " Tree Pruning/ BOOK " by Shigo. The second book I have. Whether first book is necessary to me??

The Georgia Arborist Asso. is holding their TCC in Atlanta this Saturday (the 8th) starting at 8:00 in Perkerson Park. You should be able to see lots of gear and meet some of the locals.

Mahk

A TCC is a must see for anyone who has not, bring a cooler and chair and hang out around the work climb tree. If you bring a barbie and stay a little farther back, you can get a lot of people to talk with you without any effort;)

Go to Treeclimbing.com and look at dates of climbs at their climbing area in Atlanta. Two of the nicest 100' white oaks around. You can hook up with alot of guys there to go do rec. climbs. Peter Jenkins the owner is one of the most knowledgeable climbers anywhere and holds advanced classes as well. There are some areas in North Ga. that some go to quite regularily to climb in some old growth. The Sunday climbs are usually for beginners but you can play in those trees however you want. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want to hook up and go or go climb somewhere else.

Steve

Latest posts

Back