New Toys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Books

Originally posted by Grigory

I want to ask: somebody can tell in what difference of the books "Pruning" by Ed Gilman and " Tree Pruning/ BOOK " by Shigo. The second book I have. Whether first book is necessary to me??

Grigory,

Gilman's focus is more toward training young trees for structure. His main concern is creating strong single leaders, through subordination of codominants. Shigo, as you know, takes a more holistic approach, centered on preserving healthy wood through proper cuts, timing, dose etc.

I have not read Gillmans book, but have heard him talk a number of times. I don't think it is so much a central leader, but to train the tree with the end use in mind.

If it is a street tree that needs 15 ft of clearance then maintain low limbs for eventual removal so that they do not develop significant caliper. Why train the tree so you have to make 6-10 inch cuts when it is 20 years old?

His studies show that there is a relationship between CODIT and barnch trunk size ratio. Also that branches that originate with the trunk have connecting pith, and do not have a protection zone to wall off pathogens as effectively.

Opps, did I get on my soapbox again?;) Sorry for the idiom use Grigory:)

Latest posts

Back