New truck!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So they kept the old (good) straight axle on crew cabs in '89? I know the change over in indies was '88 and I own a '89 1/2 ton. My memory doesn't remember all the details back then.

That's a solid truck to have with a Dana 60 front. Is it a 10 1/2 " ring gear or the smaller one?

MVC-009S.JPG

I still use my 1967 C600 with a CL 9000 rear end added leafs on the front. I crossed the scales with my trailer and 47,000 lbs of wood recently and the red light flickered but they did not stop me. I would say you have found a great find and a hot rod to go. Enjoy it. Thanks

Holy cow! Must have a really long box? 23 tons is about what we haul on a 5 axle log truck.

So they kept the old (good) straight axle on crew cabs in '89? I know the change over in indies was '88 and I own a '89 1/2 ton. My memory doesn't remember all the details back then.

That's a solid truck to have with a Dana 60 front. Is it a 10 1/2 " ring gear or the smaller one?

MVC-009S.JPG

They had the front straight axle d60 in K30/K3500/V3500 1ton trucks through the '91 year ..92 was the body change and IFS front. The Dana 60 has a 9 3/4" gear and the rear Corporate 14 full floater with a 10.5 ring.

I've owned just about every combo of square body Chevy truck...but the 350/bulldog 4spd/4x4/3+3 crew/dually is as good as it gets ! The dump bed is the cherry on top.

Big blocks are great but suck gas and the diesels are weak so the the 350 is just right...the 4 speed is very tough and doesn't use up HP like the TH400 auto.

Holy cow! Must have a really long box? 23 tons is about what we haul on a 5 axle log truck.
I realize now that I was pushing it, but only had about 10 tons on the truck and the rest was on the trailer. I knew Olive was heavy just did not realize it was considerably more heavy than Oak. DOT in California allow more flexibility with agriculture products. However I do not think I will try that load again.

They had the front straight axle d60 in K30/K3500/V3500 1ton trucks through the '91 year ..92 was the body change and IFS front. The Dana 60 has a 9 3/4" gear and the rear Corporate 14 full floater with a 10.5 ring.

I've owned just about every combo of square body Chevy truck...but the 350/bulldog 4spd/4x4/3+3 crew/dually is as good as it gets ! The dump bed is the cherry on top.

Big blocks are great but suck gas and the diesels are weak so the the 350 is just right...the 4 speed is very tough and doesn't use up HP like the TH400 auto.

which is better, the granny 4 or the nv4500 five speed?

They're both great but the over drive of the nv4500 is a game changer for me ..that and the nv is just a whole lot smoother , quieter and supposedly handles more input torque. My dump truck has a 6.2 diesel/th400 and 4:56 rear gears so it's screaming it's guts out at 55-60 on the highway , the .72 overdrive of the nv would drop the RPM's a bunch. With that said the sm465 has got a reputation of being tough as nails...I had one behind a built V8 in a Blazer that I beat on like a race car and it took whatever I threw at it.

The biggest plus for the bulldog over the nv is price..a good used 5speed will run you $1,200 plus , the sm465 can be found for $100 or even less.

They're both great but the over drive of the nv4500 is a game changer for me ..that and the nv is just a whole lot smoother , quieter and supposedly handles more input torque. My dump truck has a 6.2 diesel/th400 and 4:56 rear gears so it's screaming it's guts out at 55-60 on the highway , the .72 overdrive of the nv would drop the RPM's a bunch. With that said the sm465 has got a reputation of being tough as nails...I had one behind a built V8 in a Blazer that I beat on like a race car and it took whatever I threw at it.

The biggest plus for the bulldog over the nv is price..a good used 5speed will run you $1,200 plus , the sm465 can be found for $100 or even less.
Yes with 4:10's and 31 tall tires I was spinning 3k rpm at 60 so I put a Gear Vendors behind the 400/205 and dropped it to 2200 rpm. 3k is a lot of rpm on a 500 inch engine so it's much happier now.

Yes with 4:10's and 31 tall tires I was spinning 3k rpm at 60 so I put a Gear Vendors behind the 400/205 and dropped it to 2200 rpm. 3k is a lot of rpm on a 500 inch engine so it's much happier now.

I almost went the Gear Vendors route but got turned off by the problems my buddy had with his. He had a '90 Chevy with a TH400 and GV overdrive that worked great ..untill he loaded the bed good and heavy or hooked up his race car trailer then the OD unit refused to shift under acceleration. It sucked on the highway because you had to have your foot completely off the gas pedal before it would shift..GV said this was a problem they had seen before. We sold the GV unit and put a 4L80 in it with great success.

I almost went the Gear Vendors route but got turned off by the problems my buddy had with his. He had a '90 Chevy with a TH400 and GV overdrive that worked great ..untill he loaded the bed good and heavy or hooked up his race car trailer then the OD unit refused to shift under acceleration. It sucked on the highway because you had to have your foot completely off the gas pedal before it would shift..GV said this was a problem they had seen before. We sold the GV unit and put a 4L80 in it with great success.
I looked at the 4L80 but do not want a computer to control this and could not see away around it.

I am not fond of electronics of any kind if avoidable as they have to be replaced when bad and most of the time are not repairable. Fine if you have the money, but what happens in ten years (or less) when the chip for whatever isn't even available money or no?

I would like an Eldelbrock fuel injection, however they require a 7 pin HEI as my t pin will not work. And they want you to use an MSD box. I hate MSD as they never work well for me and fail when you tell need them. That is likely why there are two on NASCAR cars. We saw them fail on the top alcohol cars as well. So I use a carburetor and the Jacobs Box, that DOES work with a 5 pin and has made a very noticeable difference where the MSD 6 didn't. Ok rant over.

I loved MSD for years, street cars , drag cars , offroad trucks ..they where tough. But in the last couple years I've had a 7AL2 and a 6AL fail so MSD is off my list. They are very voltage sensitive ...a jumper box or jumper cable starts can kill them dead.

I've done one EFI conversion using Holley Projection and it stunk, it's almost cheaper swapping in a modern injected engine like a LS with a chopped harness.

Finally got the truck legally in my name. There was a delay - apparently ILL-a-noise decided they would try and protect me from flood-damaged vehicles by forcing me to get a signed AND NOTARIZED document from the seller stating that the truck was not flooded. I really hated to go back to the guy and ask him for more paperwork, but he was very nice and got it to me right away.

I put some new racks on the back - nearly 4' high now, and she's ready for some more serious action now. Going to do a big clean-up at my daughter's new house tomorrow morning.

Depends on what you plan to use it for honestly. The SM L gear is unmatched by the NV 1st. The disadvantage is you have to work a wider range of RPMs because of the wide ratio of the SM. To use the NV you have to switch to a hydraulic clutch slave and master which means you have to get a different clutch pedal. The SM gets the load moving well but pulling grades means you have less options. It's still a fun trans, it makes the truck experience authentic.

1989 GMC 1-ton 4x4. Engine is a 1993, with 122k miles. Tow hitch, dump bed, 4 doors, and beautiful all around. Pity it's not a Ford, though.

Speaking of which, anybody want to buy a '93 F350 4x4, 4-d00r?

View attachment 499482 View attachment 499483 View attachment 499484 View attachment 499485 View attachment 499486 View attachment 499487

Nice find.
Sorry I have to laugh at your first post.
You have a ford.
You buy a chevy.
You say you wish the chevy was a ford.
Then you want to keep the chevy and sell the ford.
Am I the only one that cought that? lol :laugh:

The 350 in my C30 is only 160hp. Pretty much 6.2L power.
It gets single digit fuel mileage, I doubt a big block would get worse!

Latest posts

Back