new used 026 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarkBuster20

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
alright i was planning on getting a 441 or a 660 but i came accross a deal i couldnt let pass me by - a complete not running 026 and 50 bucks for my tore down beat to hell ford ranger which i paid 50 bucks for so i just got the saw for free. anyway after spending 3-4 hours removing 1-2 lbs of grease and whatever else was on it off and dumping out gas that appeared to be mixed at a 1:2 ratio and then reassembling the saw which was in parts i ended up getting it to run by putting some gas in the carb but for some reason it isnt getting fuel. (the throttle wasnt hooked up when i got the saw and now that it is reassembled the choke wont engage properly i can start the saw if i pour a little fuel in the carb but thats it and it wont stay running after it burns up the gas i put in it. any thoughts?
thanks in advance for any advice.
p.s it feels like the saw has good compression

If the tank is choked with that much gunky old fuel then chances are the fuel line and carb are too.

What they said, don't cost much to replace the fuel and pulse lines. I also flush the tank out good first with carb. cleaner then with fresh gas. A carb. kit won't hurt. Hope you get it going I like mine. Mod the muffler it makes a difference.
"Possum":chainsaw:

yeah i was pllanning on modin the muffler on it. maybe have it bored over? i want to pull a 3/8 inch chain with an 18 inch b&c

well its going now, was fuel and impulse lines. runs nicely carb needs a bit of adjusting
pulls 20 inch b&c with 3/8 great it needs a muff mod though >.O

good to hear, i think very highly on the 026 260.

Last edited:
i agree with you evan anything that a 026 or 260 cannot handle you may as well step up to a 70cc class saw. and i am actually running a 20 inch b&c the yellow chain. in softwood it runs nice. im gonna get a 16 inch b&c as well for climbing.

i realy like mine its muffler modded , runs noticably faster then when stock. im running a 18" with oregon 3/8 .050 lgx chain. it will buck 30" wood with the 18" itl also buck 30" wood with 16".

to buck wood of that size i feel there is no need for longer than 18" that lenght gets you past half way and 18" wood is also a good fire wood size . mine bucks bar sized wood very well.

yes the 260 i feel is handier than the 361 and even my 359 i feel there realy is no need for 60cc saw.

yeah im using this 026 on a thinning job me and a partner are workin on. 8 acre patch of 25 yo reprod. you know if you can put a full wrap around handle on a 026? the 20 inch bar dont do to good if its burried but it does pretty good in general. its nice having the 20" b&c while thining. with the chain sharp its pulls through softwood great.

ill check and see if my full wrap bolts on the 026. ill let you know in 15-20 minutes.

it fits.

but only one screw lines up on the bottom of the saw. very doable though. its very big handle on small saw.

also my 3/4 wrap is bent pretty good so i dont know wether itl fit better or worse with good straight handle. but i got 3 of 4 mounting screws to line up and tight.

the bottom handle screws spaceing is smaller on the 026. you just drill a hole in the handle and it would work with both screws secureing the bottom of the handle to the saw

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

i might buck 20" tree and see how i like the full wrap on the 026 just for kicks, i realy like this handle on the 044 it seems im never lacking in handle area to grab.

Last edited:
you should let me know how the full wrap handle feels on it if you do end up giving it a try, and thanks for checkin on the handle

Back