New wood stove help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you regarding the Jotul,Hearthstone and TSC stoves price point but I since I own 2 plate steel,brick lined stoves, one from TSC and a Timberline,I find that both heat well and QUICKLY,much faster than the Hearthstone and faster than any cast iron stove I've been exposed to.

You are right. We manufacture plate steel stoves (Drolet, Flame, Century, Osburn, Enerzone etc...) and trust me if the OP was interested in one of those I would have steered him toward one of our brand. :msp_wink:

There are pro's & con's to both. But it's up to the consumer to decide what is important to them.

Advantage of plate steel stove is they are less expensive, get usable heat faster as you say. Easy to use, maintain etc...

Advantage of Cast/stone: Looks, Thermal mass dissipate heat over a longer period of time etc..

It's neither good or bad, just a choice.

I agree with you regarding the Jotul,Hearthstone and TSC stoves price point but I since I own 2 plate steel,brick lined stoves, one from TSC and a Timberline,I find that both heat well and QUICKLY,much faster than the Hearthstone and faster than any cast iron stove I've been exposed to.

Hey, you're from Malone!

I was born just North of Ft Covington in a small village. You old enough to remember "land of Make Believe" near Ausable Chasm?

Yea the wife and I are interested in looks, so that is the driving force behind cast or soapstone.

I am getting a new roof put on soon (31 sq. OUCH) and going to have the 4 chimney's re pointed at that time too, after that I am ready to do the stove. I am still planning on having a buddy who used to do spray foam insulation stop by and talk a little about what I could do in the basement and ballpark pricing but we definitely want to put a stove in.

Plus less hot water used in the house means more available to pump through the radiant in my 2400 sq ft garage. :)

Hey, you're from Malone!

I was born just North of Ft Covington in a small village. You old enough to remember "land of Make Believe" near Ausable Chasm?

Yes I remember "Land Of Make Believe" What town were you born in just north of the Fort.

I'll second (or third) the recommendation on Hearthstone. We've had one heating our old farm house for just shy of 25 years - and its still doing the job. Thats after over 100 full cord of wood being run through it. And it still looks great too. We went with the brown enamel castings and brown stone.

Tim

I'll second (or third) the recommendation on Hearthstone. We've had one heating our old farm house for just shy of 25 years - and its still doing the job. Thats after over 100 full cord of wood being run through it. And it still looks great too. We went with the brown enamel castings and brown stone.

Tim

Cool, my wife really likes the brown enamel ones. Have you had any issues with the enamel holding up? How does it chip? Overheating I assume.

Considering where you live, have you thought of a coal stove, or a wood coal combo?

Kevin

I have thought about it but I have a seemingly endless supply of wood. Between my farm, neighbors farms, and friends, I don't see me ever running short on wood. I do like the versatility of combo though.

i see your in PA. take a look see Baker wood stoves. made in pa since 1977. one of my wood customers got one last year & loves it. i also use an older model in my shop.FS they make wood/coal combo&several colors.

Last edited:
If you are leaning towards Soapstone(either Woodstock or Hearthstone) I would find a used one. This season is almost over and you will see a lot of them pop up in CL. Keep a stash & a heavy duty dolly ready so when the right one is there you can jump on it. I've never had a Woodstock but read only good things about them and their CS.

I'm on my second Hearthstone, first was a Heritage I bought new in 1983 and ran it for 3 years before selling the house and moving out of state. The second is a used 1986 HI( predecessor to the Mansfield) I got for $250 but spent another $500 rebuilding it(over-fired and missing parts) but a new Mansfield is north of $3K. For you application I would look for an used Heritage. I see them all the time in the $500 range. As long as it has not been over-fired you should be able to plug it right in to a 6" flue. Bring a good flashlight, look inside for sagging secondaries or baffles a sure sigh of too much heat.

Also remember the flue is going to cost a ton of money even if you do the install yourself($1800 for mine and I bought most of it used off CL). So, the cost of a new stove plus new pipe adds up quick. If your a scrounger start looking on CL for double wall Black pipe for inside the house and Class A SS double wall for above the roof line...good luck.

ST Anicet about 15 min drive from Ft Covington. Little farming village in Quebec.

You asked if Iwas old enough to remember "Land Of Make Believe".I'm 71 and remember "Old Macdonald Farm","Santas Workshop" and"Frontier Town". I've been through St.Anicet many times. Was just over in Huntingdon three weeks ago.Have friends in Franklin Center and usually make it to the Glengarry Games in Maxville,Ont. Canada- a great neighbor!

Cool, my wife really likes the brown enamel ones. Have you had any issues with the enamel holding up? How does it chip? Overheating I assume.

I have not noticed any impacts to the enamel from firing. I have taken a bunch of chips off the stove over the years by banging the door with the T handle, dropping a pot of soup against the front casting, etc. Perhaps over time the enamel changes color slightly - a bit of a weathered or checked look - but its hardly noticeable.

I have replaced the grates once or twice. And I did have to pull the top several years ago and bolt in a plate where the hole for the catalytic had warped enough that the damper would not work correctly. This was a 1988 year stove - before the EPA regs kicked in, but the top plate was fabricated with a hole for the cat element. That is the only structural issue I have had with the stove.

Tim

Yea I have been looking at craigslist quite a bit lately and have found a few but not many.

You asked if Iwas old enough to remember "Land Of Make Believe".I'm 71 and remember "Old Macdonald Farm","Santas Workshop" and"Frontier Town". I've been through St.Anicet many times. Was just over in Huntingdon three weeks ago.Have friends in Franklin Center and usually make it to the Glengarry Games in Maxville,Ont. Canada- a great neighbor!

Well howdy neighbour! Sorry about hijacking the thread but I've got fantastic memories of that area. I'm 51 and remember my parents taking me to Plattsburgh when I was a kid. Good times...

Might have to be in St Anicet shortly. My uncle's got terminal cancer and I've got to see him before its too late. Salt of the earth folks.

Back