New years resolution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a work bench, yeah a bad ASS!!!!!! Work bench:msp_thumbsup: Thats a nice piece of wood dude:rock: And you know I am a fan of your saws, they really make the bench what it is:msp_thumbup:

I love that slab! I have a log about that size that I'm excited to open up once I get my 42"bar. Thanks for all the pics!

BEAUTIFUL piece of wood and your craftmanship with the finish! I'd leave it for a place to display the saws or drink a cold one when out in the shop. Too nice to work on. Great job. Wish it was mine.

That is a great work indeed. I can't wait to replace the plywood top for the turret radial saw's bench, solid piece of Red oak 22' x 2' x 2". For a resolution I will try to find out how to jam up the computers that keep sending me these junk e-mails! Can't they figure out that someone like me isn't even remotely interested in any of the dung they keep trying to push on us? It has reeked havoc on two of my pc's. 200 cc's do tell more.
2690610340105432928S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,

It IS a workbench.

Holding up rather well after a year of abuse.

Lots of room to set a cold one down!

attachment.php

Hey Sachsmo, a beautiful workbench like that deserves a better beer than Busch! I did not see any spalting in the original photos - it looks pretty solid all the way through. There is a lot of the pith in the center - has that started to separate or crack at all?

Timberframed - That slab will make a beautiful bench top, but how are you going to dry it and keep it flat? Seems like alignment would be critical for a saw bench. You may want to consider putting the slab slightly below the height you want and using small stickers every couple feet to bring the wood you're sawing up to the proper height. The stickers could be easliy adjusted over time to make up for any movement in the slab.

Great looking workbench Sachsmo

Those must be some beefy brackets holding that up. It sure looks like your finish is a great choice and is holding up well. Thats a great looking piece of wood, I want one!

Old Blue
Taxed to infinity.......and beyond! in
Kali-bone-ya

Talltom, I was going to router plane it then immediately add a bunch of 3" angle iron pieces bolted to the underside. Like every 20".

Talltom, I was going to router plane it then immediately add a bunch of 3" angle iron pieces bolted to the underside. Like every 20".

With the angle I'm seeing big Black stains.

I was using a peice of walnut outside for a temporary table. I left some bent nails and other stuff on it and it rained. The next morning there were big black stains(not rust stains).

The angle iron should keep it from cupping, but not sure how it would stop twist or bow. I added a base cabinet and top to the left of my radial arm saw to support long boards a couple years ago. My saw is on legs and about 5 inches above normal counter height, so I had to raise the level of the supports above the top of the cabinet. I made two 3x3 beams which are hinged at the wall and supported above the counter top near the outside end with carriage bolts screwed into T nuts. They're adjustable on both ends and can be pivoted up and out of the way when not in use (though I seldom do this). This turned out to be beneficial for two reasons - It's easier to adjust a couple small pieces to be level with the saw table, and I don't have to remove all the crap that accumulates on any horizontal surface in my shop in order to use the saw.

These issues will be even more important with the size slab you're going to use. So I amend my recommendation. Set the slab at least 3 inches below the level of the saw table and use temporary or permanent supports to raise long boards. This will allow easy adjustment should the slab move after installation as well as better use of the surface.

Latest posts

Back