New years resolution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachsmo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well since I learned all I know about milling from this site, figured I better post a pic of the slab milled up last September.

We milled up a 38"-30" standing dead Red Oak, The owner got 4 nice slabs and two crown cuts (he used the crown cuts to make some awesome benches)

They were 3.125 inch thick and 18 feet long, we had to cut them 9 feet to lift them!

My mill would only go a bit over 28 inchs so we free handed quite a bit off the sides.

He is making a bar for his basement, and insisted I take a slab home. My slab has been leaning against the wall since.

So new years morning I went out and cleaned up a little, mounted my brackets and proceeded to belt sand all the "washboard" out of it.

Wow, the spalting and figure is amazing, I am off to find some Danish oil to make it really pop.

Will post a few pics of it after oiling, heck it looks preety good in the buff.

Check it out;

attachment.php

First coat of Danish oil,

Those spalted places sure do suck that stuff up, not bad for the first coat if I do say so myself.

Out to the shed to give it some more in those spongy places.

enjoy,

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's a few after I wiped the oil off, I was thinking of topping it with Spar.

They have been using it for years on boats, so it should take quite a bit of abuse.

Any other ideas for the top coat? (Remember this is a work bench and will get the crap scraped out of it)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

If it's to be a workbench then I would only apply a rubbed on oil finish. Any shellacs, varnishes, lacquers will chip over use/time creating an eyesore in respect to the natural beauty.

Yep it's a workbench, 6 hours of sanding, and buffing with steel wool, an hour or two to finish, and buff.

And I got bar oil on it for my favorite millin' saws photo op!

Some day i will take a few of my orange (not Hemi orange) millin' machines.

Gotta love them old 6 cubers :heart:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

If it's to be a workbench then I would only apply a rubbed on oil finish. Any shellacs, varnishes, lacquers will chip over use/time creating an eyesore in respect to the natural beauty.

Tung oil?

My Wife used that on our Oak floors at the old place, It held up very well and would cover scratches pretty good too.

Nice Slab. Tung Oil is nice for shop tops. I have it on an elm slab and its holding up pretty good after two years.

I put some tung oil on it this afternoon, will give 'er 5 or six coats and buff between.

Here's my orange millin saws, I need a 34" .375 110 link bar to put em on the mill.

attachment.php

Got my 50" Cannon last week, it came with a squre ground chain that is, uhhhhhhh,
Razor sharp!

I will get a few loops of millin' chain, make some longer rails fer me mill, and go after a big knarly burl I pass on my way to work every day.

I might take a few slabs off a giant Hackberry, before I take it out, with this set-up.
attachment.php

Every body knows how badd them lil' Macs are! :sucks:

See,

It takes 200cc to hold that bar up! I will take them big dawgs off when it's on the mill, saw came without spikes so I made my own. You could say they are one of a kind eh?
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back