Newbee,Chain for Stihl 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fair66

Reaction score
I have a stihl 028.. i am wanting the best chain /bar for this saw, I cut mostly red oak,black oak,ash,gum.. The standard chain will not stay sharp very long at all.. Local stihl store was no help, Hardware store wasn't either...They didn't want to sell anything without that saftey chain. I want something that doesn't dull so easy and cuts good. I don't cut in dirt,chain is oiling great. currently uses the oregon L74 chain , Any help would be apreciated. thanks.

I have a stihl 028.. i am wanting the best chain /bar for this saw, I cut mostly red oak,black oak,ash,gum.. The standard chain will not stay sharp very long at all.. Local stihl store was no help, Hardware store wasn't either...They didn't want to sell anything without that saftey chain. I want something that doesn't dull so easy and cuts good. I don't cut in dirt,chain is oiling great. currently uses the oregon L74 chain , Any help would be apreciated. thanks.

Stihl RS or RSC avoid any with 3 at the end! Full Chisel for clean wood
For dirty wood RM or RMC hell you can hit a rock with this stuff and it will still cut. Semi chisel

Welcome to AS

order your chain from baileys if you can and stay away from the over priced stihl chains

Get yourself 2 or 3 loops of Oregon 72LGX Saw Chain from Baileys.That's what I 've been runnin' on both my 028S's and my 041FB.

Doesn't cost anywhere near as much as Stihl so you can keep a few loops instead of sharpening on site.

I run a 20" on one and a 18" on the other and I really don't see any difference in cuttin' times.The 20" seems to balance out better though.So when the 18" gets replaced it will be a 20".

chain size

Excuse my ignorance but is the smaller .05 better than the bigger .063?the 72Lgx is .05.. and is it better to go to 3/8 or stay with .325?

Latest posts

Back