Newbie 066 Project saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just brought the parts of 3 dead concrete saws into my dining room, and my wife didn't even blink. I have her well-trained. Room smells like WD-40 too. I did cleanup all the concrete dust that fell out.

Simple green works well

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I had a parts washer and put Simple Green in it, and pretty soon all the paint was bubbling and coming off of it. For now I just put WD-40 on my parts until I can get a pressure washer to it, or find a non-volatile cleaning solution to put in a parts washer.

Trying to get an order together, trying to figure out which parts ought to be OEM and which parts could be aftermarket. Opinions gratefully accepted as to which should be OEM.

1) I've already ordered a set of all the rubber parts because I know the mounts are cracked (aftermarket)
2) A few guys here have recommended pulling the seals, so I'm going to go order those.
3) Will order a carb rebuild kit - sounds like everyone does this.
4) Will get a new manifold and hose clamp as the current one is cracked.
5) Replacement piston. I'm going to price out Meteor and/or OEM, as it sounds like there might not be too much of a difference.
6) Replacement cylinder gasket - current gasket broken when I pulled the cylinder.

Anything else I really should replace ?

I'm sure there might be other parts that need replacing after I put it together.

Check your clutch drum needle bearing. You may also need a couple extra m5 screws, possibly m6 for the cylinder and muffler. If you go Meteor, the 660 kit i got this summer had eared circlips. I used OEM.

If you got the replacement rubber kit with all rubber parts, then it comes with a fuel line, impulse line, and boot. I havent used em yet, so I cant tell you to try em. OEM intakes are pricey (at least for an 044 i built this summer).

Brad,

Some of the junk in there might have come from when I was brushing mineral spirits around and them blowing compressed air... I didn't block the bottom end very end. But that wouldn't explain any damage.

The crank moves freely. I'm glad to hear that there's always side to side play. If I hold the bottom part of the crankshaft, and try to move the top part of the crankshaft, there is no up and down play that I can detect. Same was true when I hold the top part of the crankshaft and tried to move the piston...no up and down play.

I'll order a new piston. The cylinder/bottom end gasket also tore when I pulled the cylinder so will order that too as well as a carb kit. have a full set of rubber parts coming from Huztl on eBay. Do I need to go OEM on the rubber parts ? one OEM mount costs more than what a full set of parts costs shipped from China.

Anything else I ought to order while I'm at it ?

Since the saw is apart, I guess I can't test if the crank seals are leaking. Was it a mistake to pull the cylinder before testing for leaks ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You need to shop around for Stihl prices.
Most of the items you've mentioned needing that I see have come down in price to where the cost difference isn't worth it unless you are working on many at one time.

Buy intake boot, your lines, seals, and filters from the dealer.

Check around because OEM pistons have come way down.

I haven't tried the AM Anti vibe stuff to know about it.

Check your clutch drum needle bearing. You may also need a couple extra m5 screws, possibly m6 for the cylinder and muffler. If you go Meteor, the 660 kit i got this summer had eared circlips. I used OEM.

If you got the replacement rubber kit with all rubber parts, then it comes with a fuel line, impulse line, and boot. I havent used em yet, so I cant tell you to try em. OEM intakes are pricey (at least for an 044 i built this summer).

Shop around.

Some dealers didn't get the memo.

Fortunately for me, my dealer just so happens to be represented on here by his main tech, so he knows. [emoji41][emoji41]

The IPL says "“older 066s before serial # 1 45 500 382 use a different crankcase gasket", but I couldn't find a serial number anywhere on the machine. Where should it be ?

Also, for the flywheel side oil seal, the IPL shows two different part numbers in the legend for the oil seal.

Oil Seal 15x22x44
And

Oil seal 13.5 x 20 x 4 “X 33 917 065 (02.96)"

The latter legend entry had an asterisk beside it. What does the additional annotation (x 33 917 065 (0.296)) mean ?

Thanks !
Terry

Another question: the IPL also shows two cylinder gaskets.

One is listed as "cylinder gasket 0.5mm".
The second is listed as "cylinder gasket 1mm low compression".

What's the difference between the two... Why would one be thicker and what does the low compression description mean ?

The gasket I have is in rough shape so I'm not sure I trust the dimensions on it that Id get from a mic, I can't see a part number on it for all the stuff that's attached to it. What should I order ?

Thanks for bearing with me everyone !

Definitely replace impulse and fuel line while your this far in.

I got a quote from my local Stihl dealer for some of these parts. Prices are in Canadian $.

I was quoted $180+ for a piston, around $15 for each oil seal, $60 for the gasket set, and $45 for the manifold. Parts total ended up being over $500.

It's a little weird because one hose was quoted at $40+, whereas other hoses were $2-$5. Maybe that one hose is hard to get ?

Looks like I'm going aftermarket if these are indeed the going rate for OEM. I'll have to call around.

You should order the gasket and seal kit, cheapest way to go. Definitive Dave responded to the first part of your post, talk to him and he can hook you up with all that you need. He's a great guy to deal with, very fast shipping, and reasonable prices (tools and parts).
+1

DefiniteDave is great to deal with.

Someone here may be able to get you an OEM piston and ship to you at their price.

I know that an OEM piston for an 044 can be had by members here for ~$45 at their dealer. My dealer didn't get the price reduction Memo and wants over $125 for the same piston.

Wow. I know the Canadian dollar is low, but that's a big difference on the piston. How much of that difference is due to the dollar, me being in Canada, this memo that I've seen discussed, and gouging from my dealer, I wond r.

I ended up ordering all the parts that I hadn't already ordered from EBay, from HLSproparts... Mostly because they had more of the stuff I needed than other places I checked. A lot of places had some things but not others. They also had a more informative website than many. I should have checked with Definitive Dave but I'd built up my cart and I wanted to get going.

Also, I want to give a shout-out to Nathan - nstueve here. He called me on the phone, long distance and spent a good chunk of his time tutoring me on aspects of chainsaw rebuilding and the like. There are some seriously generous people here... One of the best forums out there for that. thanks Nathan !

Back