Newbie Chain Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js9088

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a Stihl 026 Pro. Runs great and am very happy with it. Has a 16" 3/8, .063 bar with a new chain. I have several Oregon D60 chains (couple new, couple used) that are .050 but should otherwise fit. I would like an 18" bar on this saw. Is is possible to take the 16" chains somewhere and have them made into 18" chains? Would that work or does the effort not pay?

.050 chains will fit in, but move laterally (side-to-side) in an .063 bar guide slot. Don't do it...

If you want to run .050 chain, get an .050 bar.

Chains can be lengthened, but they are cheap enough not to do it unless you have your own bulk chain, breaker, and spinner along with presets on hand.

The key idea here though is run .050 chain in an .050 bar, and .063 chain in a .063 bar.

.050 chains will fit in, but move laterally (side-to-side) in an .063 bar guide slot. Don't do it...

If you want to run .050 chain, get an .050 bar.

Chains can be lengthened, but they are cheap enough not to do it unless you have your own bulk chain, breaker, and spinner along with presets on hand.

The key idea here though is run .050 chain in an .050 bar, and .063 chain in a .063 bar.
:agree2:

I think he's saying he'd buy a new bar (an 050 bar) but that he has 16" 050 chains. If I were you I'd just buy a 16" 050 bar to accommodate them and go with that. However, if you're set on 18, try to find a small shop with a breaker and spinner, have them sacrifice one chain and make the other chains longer. I wouldn't think that this would pay though. You'll have enough of a hard time trying to find someone to do that, period.

I think he's saying he'd buy a new bar (an 050 bar) but that he has 16" 050 chains. If I were you I'd just buy a 16" 050 bar to accommodate them and go with that. However, if you're set on 18, try to find a small shop with a breaker and spinner, have them sacrifice one chain and make the other chains longer. I wouldn't think that this would pay though. You'll have enough of a hard time trying to find someone to do that, period.

If that's the case, I'm in agreement with Mike's recommendation above (i.e. buy a 16" .050 bar, and use your pair of chains).

I use my chains in pairs, that gives you two to start a job with that are sharp. If you need a to change out chains mid-job, you'll have a spare on hand that's ready to go.

If you sacrifice one of the 16" .050 chains to make up length for an 18", you're down to one chain (unless you buy another, or additional links to make up a second 18" chain).

I prefer the stiffer .063 bar over the .050 - I don't think the thicker bar/heavier gauge chain will make much of a negative performance difference on your saw. What about an 18" .063 bar and matching chain combo?

I just bought a Stihl 026 Pro. Runs great and am very happy with it. Has a 16" 3/8, .063 bar with a new chain. I have several Oregon D60 chains (couple new, couple used) that are .050 but should otherwise fit. I would like an 18" bar on this saw. Is is possible to take the 16" chains somewhere and have them made into 18" chains? Would that work or does the effort not pay?

So you're saying you want to buy an 18" 3/8 .050 bar to match the current pitch and gauge of your 16" chains?
If that's the case, most decent dealers (especially if you buy the bar from them!) should help you out, Its not a big deal to add a few links to a chain. I invested in a breaker and spinner a while back, and find it only costs me 30 cents and less than 5 minutes to do. I would think to add around 4" to each chain could be done for less than $10, or maybe he'd throw it in if you bought the bar from him.:)

[snip]

I prefer the stiffer .063 bar over the .050 - I don't think the thicker bar/heavier gauge chain will make much of a negative performance difference on your saw. What about an 18" .063 bar and matching chain combo?

Are .063" gauge bars stiffer than .050"?

I don't know about .325 or 3/8LP, but not on 3/8.

Aren't the bars all the same width, just the driver groove is different ?

Stihl chain, at least in 3/8 uses the same chassis for 0.050, 058 and 063" DL's, it's just that the DL's are stepped down to the required driver width.

The US manufacturers use a separate 0.058" chassis for 050" and 058" chain, with 063" being an orphan chassis.

This is partly why no one uses Stihl chain for race chain, the other brands have a smaller kerf (albeit by only 0.005")

get on baileys and order 16" bar chain combo. i think less then 50 bucks will get a oregon, or windsor bar and two loops for cheap. 16" 3/8 050.

i think the loops are like 14 or 11 bucks for 18"

just out of couriosity what the bar number?

Thanks

Thanks for all of your help. I think it makes the most since for me to buy a new 16" .050 bar and use all of the chains as they are. Once I wear out that bar/chains and the one on the saw currently I might look at an 18". Thanks for the advice.

To answer your question, the bar on the saw currently is 3003 000 9413, marked 3/8" .063 60DL, and the chains are 36RM60.

The other chains in question are Oregon D60's that were on a Homelite 360 that belonged to my Dad. The 360 gave up the ghost several years ago.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all of your help. I think it makes the most since for me to buy a new 16" .050 bar and use all of the chains as they are. Once I wear out that bar/chains and the one on the saw currently I might look at an 18". Thanks for the advice.

To answer your question, the bar on the saw currently is 3003 000 9413, marked 3/8" .063 60DL, and the chains are 36RM60.

The other chains in question are Oregon D60's that were on a Homelite 360 that belonged to my Dad. The 360 gave up the ghost several years ago.

Thanks again.

I actually don't know what an Oregon D60 is - can anyone enlighten me?

Are .063" gauge bars stiffer than .050"?

Maybe with laminated bars, hardly with solid ones.

Well, that are my thoughts - but I have never seen any evidence....:confused:

Thats why I asked. Bar thickness is exactly the same regardless of chain guage. In fact if you were clutching at straws you'd say that that the .050" bars are tougher due to an increased rail thickness because of the narrower groove.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back