Newbie Ginko Biloba question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GinkoNoob

Reaction score
I have a ginko I planted about 17 years ago. The reading I have done suggests that all of them sold thru places like home depot are male. Additionally, the reading suggests that the fruit when produced is sticky and smelly.

Over the past couple of years my tree has begun to produce fruit. It doesn't smell and doesn't get sticky. In fact, I have successfully sprouted one of the seeds.

So....is it possible for males to produce fruit that is viable?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. It is strange. I guess this one must be a female. But the fruit doesn't smell or get mushy when left on the ground. I would never try to eat the nuts since the ground around here is contaminate due to history and a nearby parking lot.

I know that "homegrown" plants can go hermaphrodite when under stress, I wonder if that is possible here?

Plant sex isn't as cut and dry as some sources say. Far more complicated, and actually a pretty dry read.

I wouldn't count on a big box store getting their plant tags on correctly either. It's not uncommon for many trees to require 20+ years to fruit.

We had a Ginko in back of the house where I grew up. For the first 25 or so years it didn't drop fruit. Then out of nowhere it started, and it stunk, bad. After a few years of stinkfruit, my dad had me drop it.

Ginko, yes on the oil but it is very weak in comparison the leaves of 3. Leaves in the fall are like rubber and are a pia. the fruit does indeed get quite oderous at times depending on the amount. llok like mini apricots when ripe. not good for humans but the local masked bandits found it to be a tasty treat. Had one that was started in the early 70's well over 40 ft tall when I sold that place last year.

Latest posts

Back