Newbie here!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpyke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, great forum...great smilys too!:chainsaw:

This is going to be my second year cutting down trees to heat during the winter. So far, to get wood, I would go out with a buddy who owned a saw and a truck or a trailer and we would share the task....one would cut while the other one loads and then we split the wood once we're done. It will also be my second year in my first house, which can help you understand why I didn't just go out and buy a hitch and a trailer or a truck plus the chainsaw....I already had enough expenses, as all you homeowners can remember during your first years. I'll eventually get fully equipped to be self-sufficient in wood acquiring, but I have to start with one thing at a time. Of course, I started with the funnest thing, the chain saw!
This new toy has opened up a bunch of questions for me, and when I ask people everyone has their own opinion which always seems to contradict the last opinion I got, so I decided to search the net for some experts and found you guys! I've been reading your forum since this morning...so much info!
All of this to say that this forum and the people who make it happen is very appreciated!:cheers: Also, go easy on me and my questions, I'm just starting(and yes, I will try the "search" function first!:biggrinbounce2: )

Welcome! I bought my first chainsaw while I was still living in a studio apartment:), actually a couple of months before we moved out. All the other tools could wait, but not that one:D I remember starting the thing up with the windows open lol

How much wood did you use last year?

Hi, welcome, I cut firewood too, tell us what saw you have so we can start argueing and telling you to get something else. Also what kind of truck your buddy has, so we can start on that. If you are not using a Husky XP saw that is over 70cc and the truck is not a 3/4 ton or better, you have to change. Its all good, just having fun.

DeanBrown3D said:
How much wood did you use last year?

Not much! Not only did I run out, but I also bought 3 cords of these hard wood blocks...8X8X different lengths. These heated like crazy and lasted all night!! When I used those blocks I never had to empty out my ashes. I might get another 2 cords this year, only because they burn for so long. You can't really only burn on that though, because you need a really good bed of coals to keep them burning. So ,3 cords of that , plus 4 cords of regular logs (maple and ash tree)...7 cords all together. 2 more cords and we would have been good for the whole winter.

clearance said:
Hi, welcome, I cut firewood too, tell us what saw you have so we can start argueing and telling you to get something else. Also what kind of truck your buddy has, so we can start on that. If you are not using a Husky XP saw that is over 70cc and the truck is not a 3/4 ton or better, you have to change. Its all good, just having fun.

At least I have a Husky! the 345Both of the guys I go with have Savannahs which are more vans than trucks, but at least you can fit a good 2 cords in there (3.5 if there's a trailer!)

tpyke said:
At least I have a Husky! the 345Both of the guys I go with have Savannahs which are more vans than trucks, but at least you can fit a good 2 cords in there (3.5 if there's a trailer!)
Not being a knob, you are new, but a cord is 4'x4'x8'-128 cubic feet. Fresh wood wieghs well over 2500lbs. a cord. Vans or pickups that have four tires cannot carry two cords, half tons cannot legally carry one cord.

easy on the two cords in a van 9600 GVWR on E-350 4487lbs unloaded weight + 2x2500 +200lb driver 60lbs fuel 1(haha) saw 20 lbs= acceptably overloaded compared to what I normally haul in my E-350 cutaway. Just stay off the scales. Now for fitting two cords in a van well remember I didnt list a passenger? Well maybe not anyways.

tpyke said:
Isn't a cord 16" logs stacked 4 feet high for 8 feet in length?

Yep thats a face cord. I full cord is 8x4x4, you have 1/3 of that. When you buy a cord, the price given ($200 here in NJ) is generally for a full cord

:blush: OK, I get it....

My mistake, over here you buy a cord for $85CAD(face cord I guess...)

tpyke said:
:blush: OK, I get it....

My mistake, over here you buy a cord for $85CAD(face cord I guess...)

You might as well start right so... The only legal measure of wood is the cord or fraction thereof. Face cord, bush cord, rick, load, etc. are all dubious measures. Face cord seems to fairly standard but all the others are whatever the seller cares to make them. In any state where wood sales are regulated, any measure other than cord (or fraction thereof) can result in a citation for the seller if anyone ?????es.

Harry K

RaisedByWolves said:
No No, Dean your stackin it wrong. Its 4x4x8.

Your way you wind up with a stack 8' high.

And overloaded is overloaded, might as well go all out.

View attachment 32060

View attachment 32061

Welcome to our world Tpike.

Btw, go buy an old homelite or ten.

I agree with Dean on this one LxWxH
That makes yours 8 foot tall?!

And there is another two feet of bed space to be taken up.....

BTW, Welcome Tpike. Should have bought the 350 to start with....

Steve

RaisedByWolves said:
No No, Dean your stackin it wrong. Its 4x4x8.

Your way you wind up with a stack 8' high.

And overloaded is overloaded, might as well go all out.

View attachment 32060

View attachment 32061

Welcome to our world Tpike.

Btw, go buy an old homelite or ten.
Now that is what I call two wheel drive. Been there, waiting for the front two to contact long enough to keep you on the trail. Lots of fun!

Freakingstang said:
I agree with Dean on this one LxWxH
That makes yours 8 foot tall?!

Oh your just cozyin up to dean cuz you like the way he looks in a skirt.

Freakingstang said:
And there is another two feet of bed space to be taken up.....Steve

Aint no space in that bed that aint filled. Those blocks must have weighed close to a hundred lbs each.

The only reason their not stacked higher up by the cab is I could only throw them so far.....

Back