Newbie Needs Help on Jotul F3 CB decision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richter021403

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been reading posts on here for some time now and finally decided to register and ask for help specifically for me! Everyone seems so helpful! My questions are this...Do you think a Jotul F3 CB will heat my 1144 sq ft home as a main heat source? My home is a 1 level rancher with and exterior masonry fireplace, built in 1985 (insulation is decent), with and open living room/dining room/kitchen area of about 700 sq ft (although I'd like to heat the entire home) It may get down into the teens for a spell around here. I'd rather burn hot and clean.

Do the jotuls have to be resealed (cement caulk the seams) periodically because they're cast iron?

What type of chimney liner would be best on an exterior chimney?
(I explained my situation to two local stores over the phone and they both said single wall?) My concern is of proper draft and creosite build up. What's the difference in single, double, and triple pipe?

Is fairly easy to install the chimney pipe ourselves? I would imagine the damper part would be the hardest part of installation???

We're so tired of being cold and STILL having high heating bills, we're gonna take the plunge and never be cold again! (in our own home that is) Yay!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help!

Last edited:
I have a Jotul, but an insert type. Looked up the F3 CB and the BTU rating is 42k... so its rather small but rated at 1300 sq ft.

For comparison, mine "can" heat 2000 sq ft and actually heats my 1800 sq ft home pretty well even in the New England weather during Jan/ Feb.

I think its a good choice.

I would imagine any cast iron stove after years and years of full time burning would need resealing. This is something that you'll worry about in more like 10 years though especially in your climate.

I have single wall pipe and if I did it again I would have used a better insulated pipe.

Draft is dependent on your setup, and a ranch may have more issues that a 2-story, so can't really comment.

If you are weekend warrior type, or general DIYer, then the install isn't bad at all. Get a good dolly and the stove should be easy enough to move around.

Good luck, and come back and show us the results!

I think the Jotul 3 will heat you house just fine. We heat 1200 sf with a Jotul 118 and most of the time it's too much stove. We almost bought a #3, but I really liked the look and simplicity of the 118 and it takes a 24" log. You might look close at the next size large stove.

You will not need to caulk the seams. This is a very high quality airtight stove. You will only need to replace door gasket every few years. Very low maintenance.

Single wall pipe inside a masonry chimney is fine. There's usually not room for double wall. Just need to seal the top and bottom good. I'd install myself, but I've done this kind of stuff all my life. If you have not done this type of work, have a pro do it.

Make sure you have well seasoned and dry wood for theses new EPA stoves and life will be good.

You will be very pleased with a Jotul. :)

Wow! That was fast! Thank you!

Thank you for the help. We just moved into this home and we were soooo happy 'cause it has a fireplace (one of our major requirements for purchase) We thought we'd be able to heat our home with the fireplace but noooo, that's not how it works. :msp_sad: We had some pretty huge raging fires in our fireplace the first couple of days and blew through half a cord of hardwood in just 5 days! lol! Didn't work though, everything got sucked up and out the chimney. I was shocked to learn how inefficient fireplaces are after a frantic google search. That's how I found you guys. Seems Jotul has had more demand than supply right now and the stores are completely out around here...on backorder for about 2 more weeks...Do they ever go on sale? When is the best time to get the best price? The cheapest quote I got over the phone was $1600.00 for the matte black but it seems some people were able to get there's for $1300.00? Dunno...as supply and demand dictates, my chances may be pretty slim for a cheaper price. Do you think I'm "SOL" for a cheaper price? What about in the sweltering hot summer months?

Oh! I did look at the 118 black bear online and it's a lil' too tall to install on the hearth...we have a 3 year old and need it out of the way. (he's like a clumsy drunken man when he gets tired...runs into things and trips over his own feet.) I like 'em all and wouldn't mind having one of each, the Jotul's have the most beautiful inserts I've ever seen! They are very nice.... but prefer a freestanding over an insert so we won't need a blower?...at least I think that's how it works) Lopi's seem to be nice too but only vent from the top. Gonna go with the Jotul!

Thank you again!

Last edited:
No way I'd feed an open fireplace trying to heat my house. It gets much colder here than in Va and we will have used only 2 cords this winter, when it's over. Haha, still burning.

I bought my Jotul in the middle of summer, 4 years ago. I haggled with the dealer a bit and got $150 off for cash. Don't try this on the phone, works better in person ;)

Thanks Sunfish, the cheaper the better! I'll wait 'til they get more in then go to the store and "haggle" Can you recommend a superior quality single pipe? They mentioned that's what I'd need and said it was because it would be the only one that would fit in the chimney. I thought that single, double, and triple pipe referred to insulation properties and since our chimney is on and exterior wall figured the more insulation, the better for draft. Guess I gotta go with single though, I'm good with that as long as it does it's job!

Thanks Sunfish, the cheaper the better! I'll wait 'til they get more in then go to the store and "haggle" Can you recommend a superior quality single pipe? They mentioned that's what I'd need and said it was because it would be the only one that would fit in the chimney. I thought that single, double, and triple pipe referred to insulation properties and since our chimney is on and exterior wall figured the more insulation, the better for draft. Guess I gotta go with single though, I'm good with that as long as it does it's job!
I don't know about the diff brands of flue pipe. I have double wall going up through my attic, stainless inside, galvanized on the outside. I'd go with stainless steel pipe in your flue and seal the top/bottom real good, the dead air space will act as an insulator. Talk to your dealer about whats available.

If you are intending to heat 24/7 I would opt for a stove with an 8 hr burn time. Unless you are in for waking up in the middle of the night to feed a fire the CB3 is fine

I heat 950 sq ft with the next size up (Castine) at the same latitude as you and at times wished I went with the Oslo because my stove struggles to make it when the temp averages 15 F

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm?

Something to think about...I've seen where some say to get a larger stove and build smaller fires and some say to get a stove close to your square footage so that the stove can be cranked up hot and clean. I guess if I went with a larger stove I'd have to feed it small splits for a "small HOT fire?"

JBinKC....you seriously have trouble heating with the Castine for 950 sq ft? What kind of home do you have if you don't mind me asking??? Is it an open floorplan? 2 stories? Just wondering what the differences would be if any. Thank you for your help!

Used Stoves

I considered purchasing a used Jotul but...

1) When they go up for sale they sell so fast it'll make your head spin!

2) Don't really trust that something not wrong with it, If it's been overfired.

The Oslo is probably alot more expensive than the F3 CB If I decided to go with the Oslo I'd probably have to buy used and check that everything is okay. What would I look for? warped baffle, burn tubes, seams? anything else?

I live in growing zone 5 and my home has points of heat loss especially through the permanent AC units through metal conduction. In my case the Castine is the perfect selection for 95% of the time but will overcoal when the temp averages 15F

If you are concerned about potential overheating why not consider a CAT stove which can be manipulated to have lower heat outputs and longer burn times.

The CB3 is an excellent stove but will exhibit a 6 hr burn time. If that is convenient for you go for it.

okay, I live in zone 7. I wouldn't want to buy a cat stove 'cause they require expensive replacement cost for the cat every few years...I really appreciate the info...a lil' confused, I want to get it right the first time around. I'll go check them out (when they get more in) and make an "educated decision" thanks for your input!

If operated correctly they should last 5 years. You also would save about another 20%-25% in wood consumption over a noncatalytic which would easily pay for itself if you buy wood. I would probably get one if not for my pyro tendencies as noncatlytics provide more entertaining fires.

Zone 7 you are far enough south that the CB3 probably would be a better choice for you but you would have to start fires without a coal bed more often.

Last edited:
Ha! I'm a pyro myself...gotta go with the non-cat, can't wait to see the light show. One would be hard pressed to get me away from the stove once it's installed...even makes me stay up way past my bedtime, hate to leave it while it's still burning (with the fireplace that we have now that is...) mesmorizing AND warm...soothing to the soul!

I have about the identical situation you describe. I have a single level ranch, 1150 sq. feet. Family room opens into the kitchen. My Jotul #3 is against the wall of the family room, looks straight down the hallway to the living room and bed rooms. I purchased this stove about 12 years ago. It was the only new stove on the market at that time that did not have a catalytic converter on it. It was the only Jotul without the converter. Thus I went with the #3. It has served us well. I have oil central heat, but don't use it. I burn about 3.5 cords of wood per winter (CT). I would have purchased a larger model if they didn't have the cat converters at that time. I still wish I had a bit larger, but not enough to purchase a new stove. I got a good price when I bought this stove. It is twice the price now. This spring I will go through the stove completely, for the first time. Some of the burn plates are loose. I can tell I will have to work some screws and bolts out and replace. Overall it has been a wonderful and dependable stove. Go with the larger stove if you can, but not too large. You do want to burn hot. jm

Thanks JimBeau39!
Will you answer a few more questions for me since your situation is so close to mine?

Are you able to heat your home in it's entirety with this stove?

What's the coldest temps that you've had outside and the warmest temp you've been able to achieve with this stove inside with the stove fully cranked burning hot and clean?

Is the heat able to make it's way down the hall into the bedrooms without using a blower?

Which grow zone are you in?

Do you have single or double pipe installed?

Whew! Sorry 'bout that just trying to get the best stove for my situation and since your house is close to being identical and your winters are colder I'm trying to compare...

Thank you all for taking time to help!

Thanks JimBeau39!
Will you answer a few more questions for me since your situation is so close to mine?

Are you able to heat your home in it's entirety with this stove?

What's the coldest temps that you've had outside and the warmest temp you've been able to achieve with this stove inside with the stove fully cranked burning hot and clean?

Is the heat able to make it's way down the hall into the bedrooms without using a blower?

Which grow zone are you in?

Do you have single or double pipe installed?

Whew! Sorry 'bout that just trying to get the best stove for my situation and since your house is close to being identical and your winters are colder I'm trying to compare...

Thank you all for taking time to help!

Since the stove is on one end of the ranch, I have a blower over the header of the entry from the family room (stove room) to the living room, with a straight shot down the hallway to the bedrooms. If you burn the stove continually, it will heat the entire house. On the coldest day, say 12 deg. F avg., the family room and kitchen stay very warm. The living room is comfortable, but the bedrooms stay cool since they are off the hallway. This works for us because we like it cool when we sleep. Nothing worse than a warm room at night. We are in Southern New England,ie, CT.
When I installed this stove about 13 years ago, I used a double walled pipe up to the ceiling, where it meets up with the metalbestose chimney pipe. I get great draft since its a straight shot up, with metal pipe. After quite a few years I realized I was loosing a lot of room heat with the double pipe. I switch to a single wall pipe with an insulator shield on the back side. World of difference. The single wall pipe throws off much heat. It is about 6 feet of open air pipe going up to the ceiling. That is a lot of surface area heating the room. With the double wall pipe, you could lay your hand on the outer wall when the stove was burning hot. A lot of wasted heat. The only draw back to the jotul #3 is burn time. If you pack it up at night and close the air down, you will have some hot coals in the morning, provided you get up early. If you want to keep the stove hot and heat the entire house, you need to feed it every few hours or so. Hope all this helps. It is a great stove for a small house. We do cook on the top occasionally. Have to lay heavy duty foil down as not to scratch the enamel surface. Jim

Perfect! Just what I was looking for, I think this will fit our needs perfectly! I'm usually up after 6 or 7 hours anyway. I considered the Castine but saw that there are lots of complaints about smoking/whuffing/puffing? The F3 it is! Nothing like a wood burning fire. I think I'll actually look forward to the colder months for the first time in my life! Should've done this years ago...We'll get lots of wood to stack in our shed...probably should use a termite treatment around the perimeter to keep those critters out?...anybody have problems with snakes in their wood pile? I don't think I could handle any surprises like that! Thank you!!!

Hi,

Don't know if anyone's touched on this, but if you do go with the 3 be sure your wood is no longer than 16"; that curved upper portion of the door can make for some interesting experiments in radiant heat tolerance as you try to wedge in that one or two inch too long 3rd log...

Latest posts

Back