Newbie Needs Help on Jotul F3 CB decision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha ha ha! I just got a visual on that one! I can see me running through the house with a flaming log that wouldn't fit :laugh: Thanks for the tip! I am soooo enthusiastic about this whole thing. You'd think I'd won the lottery or something! Ahhhhh, WARMTH!, who would've thunk it!... such a simple concept but what a difference it'll make! Bring on the winter!

Hi,

Don't know if anyone's touched on this, but if you do go with the 3 be sure your wood is no longer than 16"; that curved upper portion of the door can make for some interesting experiments in radiant heat tolerance as you try to wedge in that one or two inch too long 3rd log...

Good point. The Jotul literature says the #3 will take an 18" log. Not realistically. The width of the fire box is 18". I cut my wood 16" or less. If somebody else is cutting the wood for me, which is seldom, I tell them 14". I find each year I split the wood into smaller pieces, and try to keep the length close to 14". It makes it easier for my wife to handle. jm

Good point. The Jotul literature says the #3 will take an 18" log. Not realistically. The width of the fire box is 18". I cut my wood 16" or less. If somebody else is cutting the wood for me, which is seldom, I tell them 14". I find each year I split the wood into smaller pieces, and try to keep the length close to 14". It makes it easier for my wife to handle. jm

If you are installing the pipe yourself there is a company called Dura Tech that makes ovalized six inch double wall insulated sections that rivet together...retains the cross sectional area that would otherwise be lost if six inch round is ovalized to pass through a fireplace damper. Could make a difference in your draft if your chimney will be short, and saves you hacking out the damper so a six inch round pipe will fit through. Seems like well made stuff, easy to.clean...poly brush only please.

Why not consider a fireplace insert, that way you wouldn't sacrafice any extra floor space? You've already learned what a joke a real fireplace is.

I Got One!!!

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to let you know that I was able to purchase a used Jotul F3CB from 2007! It was only used for 2 seasons and looks to be in very good condition. We had to drive an hour to and fro to pick up yesterday. It came with the floor protector, thermostat, screen, triple wall pipe (can't use this but I took it anyway) in matte black. We paid $800.00 for everything (better than $1600.00 brand new for the stove alone) So I figure we saved about $1000.00 all together and now we can use that money for professional installation (so I don't have to hear my husband say the "f" word over and over again while tring to install himself, lol!) I'll post pics as soon as we install.

Do you all think that we got a decent deal? Hopefully this stove will last us forever!

It's supposed to get up 90 degrees today but it's a lil' chilly this morning... wish It was installed 'cause I'd start a fire, just because I can, lol! Thank you all for your help! :clap: :wave: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back