Newbie on the Hunt for long bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjackchef

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum but have come across many posts on search engines. You have all already been very helpful. Thanks. I am just about finished repairing an old Sears Model 917.61406 95cc David Bradley and I am looking for a longer bar and chain for this saw. So far I have looked everywhere to no avail. I am wondering if anybody has one of the 32" length bar and chains out there, or if they know anyone who might be able to come up with one of these. They made one with the part # 743H that was a 32" long, hard tip according to the sears website. But it is no longer available. I have also wondered about finding a replacement bar that would fit it. So far I can't find any reference to find out which bars would be interchangeable with this model saw. It has 1/2" pitch chain. I appreciate any help that you may be able to give.

Yes I will need some 1/2 " chain as soon as I locate the right bar. Thanks guys! I will check out those links about the bar ASAP.

I have been "eBaying" gear drive saws as much for the Bar & chain as the saw itself. Some were worth the gamble some not. BUT after adding up the gear drives w/ bars I bought I have spent aprox $80 dollars and have a 28inch bar and a 30inch bar; both with 1/2 chain with more than 3/4 life left. One with a Homelite bar still with the origional paint. I do have a little loop of McCulloch 1/2 chain for a small 18-20inch bar with very little use if someone needs...Ebay is wonderful for that type of stuff!

As been stated,keep your eye on e-bay.Most of the time,the old geardrives don't fetch much of a price.I once saw a gear drive Mac,with 5 or 6 loops of chain,go for about $40.Keep the chain,toss the saw.It's not that hard to "Dremel" a bar ,to fit another saw,I've done a bunch of them.

Al Smith said:
As been stated,keep your eye on e-bay.Most of the time,the old geardrives don't fetch much of a price.I once saw a gear drive Mac,with 5 or 6 loops of chain,go for about $40.Keep the chain,toss the saw.It's not that hard to "Dremel" a bar ,to fit another saw,I've done a bunch of them.

On that note, why would it not be possible to sell a "blank bar", where all you would have to do is machine out the mounting holes, and place in the tension adjuster and oil holes, I mean that is for those who actually know what they are doing? :confused:

Just contact someone at the company that does custom made bars for your saw. the name eludes me but I know they're out there.

You know, thats all fine and good.....but what really supprised me was that a new member stated he used the search function!!!!!!!
Cool. Rare as chickens teeth
-Ralph

There is a McCulloch bar,and chain,right now on e-bay.The number is 4360001615,goes off in a day.There is also a Sears geardive,model 917.62809,setting at $25.,1 day left on it.

Well,Bob,ya gotta speak up,and be the highest bidder.What in heavens name would you want a solid bar for.Certainly not that souped up 101.These old bars pop up all the time,but normally with an old geardrive attached to them .It seems a lot of folks are seeking old bars and 1/2" chain,hmm.I think I'll hit the farm auctions,this spring.I could end up with a truck full.Then on the other hand,I would probably have about 30 old geardrives that I would not have a clue what to do with .

Back