Newbie Question about Bow Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch25

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Being as I have never seen a bowsaw(chainsaw) until I came to this site...

I have done some searching but have never seen exactly how one would be used and why????? What are the advantages and why were they created?

Can someone help me out? Pics in action would be cool!

Thanks!

Bow bars are mainly used in regions where pulpwood cutters operate. The idea is that for smaller diameter logs, the open center allows you to buck without having to worry as much about pinching the bar. As you are cutting through, the wood can pinch together but because the center of the bar is open, it will not pinch as much. I ran a Husky 385 with a bow bar once, just long enough to see how bad the kickback can be. I was always told they kick like a mule, but felt that I needed to find out for myself. I have to agree, after being lifted off my feet and thrown back six feet, that everything I had been told was 100% true.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ctpQl-O4w4&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ctpQl-O4w4&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

MS650 bow saw

I put a bow on my MS650 with DP muffler just for firewood. If ya got a bunch of limbs or trees 14" or smaller diameter you can cut them up fast!
I just got back last nite from helping a buddy cut down a 40" DBH Live Oak at his dads in FL. 65' aerial lift was 20-30' short of where we would have liked to start take'n limbs off. The bow was a real back saver cutting all the limbs up. I just mark the tree 16" firewood length and start cutting.
I'll have to take a video of it operation.

Bow bars are mainly used in regions where pulpwood cutters operate. The idea is that for smaller diameter logs, the open center allows you to buck without having to worry as much about pinching the bar. As you are cutting through, the wood can pinch together but because the center of the bar is open, it will not pinch as much. I ran a Husky 385 with a bow bar once, just long enough to see how bad the kickback can be. I was always told they kick like a mule, but felt that I needed to find out for myself. I have to agree, after being lifted off my feet and thrown back six feet, that everything I had been told was 100% true.

Video please...

Please don't operate a chainsaw with a bowbar the way this guy is showing how to use one. This is totally wrong and an accident waiting to happen.

Believe it or not this pic came from e-bay, guy was selling the saw. I was going to e-mail the dude telling him this was not the way to show how to run a chainsaw with a bowbar that is designed for bucking logs. After having second thoughts I didn't e-mail the guy because he probaly would have told me he was some kind of expert and to mind my own business.

Larry

attachment.php

Last edited:
Stand up and saw or stay bent over for hours. If they wern't so expensive i would have one, any body want to sell one?

Can't out do the vid but here are a few pics of my saw with the same size bow. Bow saws are fun to cut with if they are used correctly with the spike engaged the proper way.

I got rid of that pukey blue Homelite. This bow is now mounted on a Homelite 925 and is it ever an animal for cutting wood.

Larry

attachment.php

attachment.php

The ones our thinning crew used weren't as round. They had a more narrow bow. You'd put the dog up against a small tree and cut the tree off. No bending over. You could easily push the tree over while running the saw too. I never thought of them being any more dangerous than a regular saw. We killed a lot of lodgepole with them. In fact, I felt comfortable cutting small trees down with a bow bar, but not so much with a regular saw. Go figure...

What you are describing is what is known as a clearing or brush bar. Homelite brought that design to the market place, the bucking bow like what is being shown in this thread was made popular by Poulan.

I have some of those bars on a few saws also. I like to cut with them too.

Just thought I would add a little bowsaw trivia to the thread.

Larry

What the heck, another pic isn't going to hurt.

J-Red 621 with a clearing bowbar.

attachment.php

another vid
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X_px72P05NM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X_px72P05NM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What you are describing is what is known as a clearing or brush bar. Homelite brought that design to the market place, the bucking bow like what is being shown in this thread was made popular by Poulan.

I have some of those bars on a few saws also. I like to cut with them too.

Just thought I would add a little bowsaw trivia to the thread.

Larry

Yes, that picture is what we used. Just put the bar on a late 1970s Mac something aruther and that's it. A heavy Mac something saw...at least it seemed heavy the first week of work. I never cussed much until getting on that thinning crew...:cry:

Ax-Man I am thoroughly jealous, I have a special place in my heart for the 621, as well as for kit that is a bit different, you have the ultimate combo there...

Mark

I share the same admiration as you do Mark when it comes to a 621. I was quite impressed with this one after I go it up and running after chasing down parts for it. The 621 will hold it's own against anything in it's class and then some.

Jonsered had a good thing going back then to bad they turned into Husky clones.

Thanks for the compliment, sorry I made you jealous.

Larry

Back