Newbie question about Stihl MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey

Wood junky
Reaction score
So, I'm looking for a 90cc-ish saw for milling. I had a nice chat with my local small business owner (carries Stihl and Echo chainsaws). He suggested waiting until the revised MS661's come out. I respect him for not pushing his current MS660's and MS880's. I kind of like the idea of the autotune (middle of the road) vs. perfecting it with a manually adjustable carb. I'm not really experienced with tuning carbs.

That said... What are your thoughts? Should I go with a 395xp? Should I keep looking for a good used MS880 or 3120? Should I buck and learn to tune a 2-stroke? So many questions, so little $ to spend...

So many questions, so little $ to spend...
A brand new 661 is the most expensive option. So if money is tight, you may wanna explore some of the other options you listed.

if milling is your primary use .. no substitute for cubic inches .. best bang for $$$ is Stihl 084. same size as Stihl 880 but a lot less $$$ ...

it's common to find 120cc class saws with low hours .. no one runs a saw that big unless there's a job to do.

I'd go with proven MS660 vs no telling what teething pains 661 will bring.

I agree with 046 get a used big bore saw (or two) new model saws usually have a few issues but not always.

I'm in no rush, so I'll definitely keep my eyes out for a used big bore; 084/880/3120, etc.

I would go used 394/5 for a milling saw. I wouldn't buy new since they won't honor warranty for milling. If you don't want to go over a 36" mill get a good 90cc saw and use it.

i talked to john over in the walkers saw shop. he sayed his stihl tech told him the 661 will be rereleased mid-june.

not sure about US specs but I notice the 661 is both smaller (less cc) and less powerful than the 660. What the hell? Either way I wouldn't consider it for milling given what else is out there. AV will be great and they're lighter than a 660, but these aren't things important to milling. You want under stressed, good torque and more than enough power so you can de tune it to run cooler and still have power to cut

The only specs i have seen are ms660 5.2kw 7hp, and the ms661 5.4kw 7.3hp
must be a country specific spec thing - our MS660s are 5.7kw 7.6hp
P1030339_zps34eb7c69.jpg

listen to Brad, unless you have lots of money to spend. if you need a milling saw, get a Husqvarna 394/395. Stihl is a great saw for felling but the Husqvarnas do a better job milling and are less expensive. get the most cc's you can afford if you are going to cut big stuff

listen to Brad, unless you have lots of money to spend. if you need a milling saw, get a Husqvarna 394/395. Stihl is a great saw for felling but the Husqvarnas do a better job milling and are less expensive. get the most cc's you can afford if you are going to cut big stuff
Yeah, 90 cc saw will probably do everything I need.

I am building one now but may part with it as is if you are interested. needs a muffler and starter. I may be relocating and will no longer be milling anything big. I have a 288 that I can mill with

In an email I got from Stihl USA a month ago they said that the US 661 re-release will be in August or September, 2014.

394/395 should do the trick, or a 660, or even a 575/576 or 460. Depends on what type of wood and size logs you are milling.

Back