Newbie Question...What does it mean when it is "ported?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dangerous and irresponsible too. What about the shrapnel from when it flies apart?
I'm confused. I've gone to your thread on porting saws and came away very impressed. So it is a business for you. Also noted that Wicked Saws sells brand new ported saws as a business line. What is the liability for this business. Do these things really blow up? You say dangerous, but what is the irresponsible element. Not disrespectful -- quite to the contrary. Just want to better understand.

I'm confused. I've gone to your thread on porting saws and came away very impressed. So it is a business for you. Also noted that Wicked Saws sells brand new ported saws as a business line. What is the liability for this business. Do these things really blow up? You say dangerous, but what is the irresponsible element. Not disrespectful -- quite to the contrary. Just want to better understand.

I was just making a joke.....

If porting chainsaws makes them better then why would they not come from the factory ported? If the factory did this, the saws would be much better and sell better. Something not making sense fellas.

You think performance is the only thing the factory has to consider when producing a saw? Not warranty durability, liability, emissions, cost, etc? There's a huge amount of compromise in a production saw.

Porting allows individual users to sacrifice in some areas in favor of gains in other areas.

If porting chainsaws makes them better then why would they not come from the factory ported? If the factory did this, the saws would be much better and sell better. Something not making sense fellas.

Why do people buy tuners for diesel truck? Why do people swap camshafts cylinder heads? Any manufacturer has compromises, the aftermarket or chainsaw porters do not have to make those same choices

You would be surprised how hard and expensive it is to make a 2 stroke engine that is compliant with recent exhaust emission regulations (and then mass produce them very precise with same quality repeatability). If you don’t comply with those, you’re basically not getting certified & allowed to make/import/sell.
Some think “set it leaner” helps but that is misconception - that just increases NOx in exhaust, setting too rich quickly steps over CO limits.
Most well known manufacturers already ceased or are in process of ceasing 2 stroke engine development for good - Dolmar, Oleo-Mac, Kawasaki etc.
Ported engines are exploiting some sort of regulations loophole which still permits enthusiasts enjoy pure 2-stroke power with less compromises taken into account.

Is porting a saw going to shorten the overall lifespan of the saw?

It can mean anything from a guy who can actually show performance increases with his port work to a guy who ground around the exhaust/intake and used Home Depot caulk to seal the case...

Latest posts

Back