newbie saddle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solfish

Reaction score
Now, I know this has been beat to death. I want to buy my first saddle. I'm a reformed landscraper turned groundie. You can get paid money to climb trees? #### and yes. I can freeclimb well.
Here is the deal: the standard recommedation for harnesses is a basic buckingham with a floating d and legstraps($167@wesspur). My mentor, however climbs in a god knows how old 4d. The $99 buttstrap saddle. The buttstrap is rarely loaded. He would get on fine with just a sturdy belt and a lanyard. Almost never uses a throwline. The question is should I drop extra 50 bucks for a weaver cougar or new tribe saddle, buy the $100 narrow back floating d or go for the deluxe basic buckingham mentioned above? $100 is a lot of money.

It like becoming a cop some just wear a standard issue holster, and other have a holster with so much stuff on it they can barely move, forget leg straps
and get a saddle with a boson seat.

The question is should I drop extra 50 bucks for a weaver cougar or new tribe saddle, buy the $100 narrow back floating d or go for the deluxe basic buckingham mentioned above? $100 is a lot of money.

Get the cougar, make more money and then up-grade as you go. My first saddle was a "bowline on a bight". Then a Karl Kuemmerling.
Jeff :)

Thanks for the reply. I tried hanging in a webbing "harness" (2 bowlines for leg loops + a couple turns round the waist) for about 30 seconds. Not exactly pleasent. I figured I'd rather fall to my death than live without testicles. But maybe I'm just a candyass.

Change comes slow. Your boss has probably been climbing on that saddle for forever and a day and has become accustomed to it. I can relate, i did the same for years. However, there are more comfortable options out there. I second the Cougar recommendation. Haven't used it myself but it looks like a very nice, comfy, modern saddle that won't break the bank.

Thanks for the reply. I tried hanging in a webbing "harness" (2 bowlines for leg loops + a couple turns round the waist) for about 30 seconds. Not exactly pleasent. I figured I'd rather fall to my death than live without testicles. But maybe I'm just a candyass.

Try doing it for a year or two, with a dang heavy saw, (no plastics), and a hand saw you file yourself. That was 33 years ago, the more money I made, the more money I put into making up-grades. Seems like it never ends.
Jeff :)

I have to vote for the New Tribe Tengu. It is the most comfy saddle that I have ever climbed in. Dont cheap out and go for the $99 saddle. You will regret it. I have climbed on the Weaver 4 Ds, Buckingham Master, Butterfly 2, Master 2, Master 2 Deluxe,Blair Ultra Light, Glide 2 Deluxe, Tree Flex and NT Tengu. I like them in the order listed that I liked them. Some of the saddles I have owned and some were co-workers that I just tried out. I doubt I will buy anything besides New Tribe in the future.

Petzel Navaho, comfy light $200 I think but you really need to try them on and see how it fits and feels. Personally I would stay away from the cheapest models you will just be wasting your $. :cheers:

Back