newbie to sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWILLIAMS64

Reaction score
I have a stihl ms270 and also a craftsman saw, not sure of the model #. I now pay to have my chains sharpened and was wanting to start doing it myself. I know the shop uses the grinder style with the wheel, but i would like to be able to sharpen out in the field. I have been reading some of the faqs. Are the bar mounted sharpeners a good way to go or just get the file depth guage that the file sticks through? i was looking at http://onlinestore.forestindustry.com/scripts/granbergint/G106B.html

any info would be greatly appreciated.
I dont cut tons of wood, maybe 4-5 cords a year.

Get a Granberg jig.

They're pretty cheap and are built strong enough not to bend all over the place.

Use the jig with the saw in a vise in the workshop. Take your time, no points for speed early on. After you have used the Granberg for a while you'll get the feel for the proper angles and what a properly filed chain should look like.

After a while, when you sharpen in the field with just a stump vise, getting a good edge won't be a mystery. The proper angles and depth will just sort of come along.

I do like the Stihl file holders myself, not for any reason other than they make it easier to grip the file, especially with gloves on.

Take Care

File guides are like fishing lures ...

Everyone has a collection of them. A bunch of us brought them in at work to compare, and my favorite was a big hit everyone. It's a little roller guide from Husqvarna, and it works great. The rollers reduce friction and they seem to just suck the file into the right angle. It works great to keep the chain touched up and always sharp, and then occasionally into the shop for a power sharpening.

For in the field I don’t think I’d want to carry that around. I like the small husky combo gages that you can carry in a pocket. Check out this thread for more info if you want.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=132790

:agree2:

The husky combi gauge is by far the best on the market. If you want a sharp chain then get one, plain and simple. Other than a fop anything else is a waste of money. The Stihl sharpening kit is worthless, as are any fixed rate depth gauges.

Get a Granberg jig.

They're pretty cheap and are built strong enough not to bend all over the place.

Use the jig with the saw in a vise in the workshop. Take your time, no points for speed early on. After you have used the Granberg for a while you'll get the feel for the proper angles and what a properly filed chain should look like.

After a while, when you sharpen in the field with just a stump vise, getting a good edge won't be a mystery. The proper angles and depth will just sort of come along.

I do like the Stihl file holders myself, not for any reason other than they make it easier to grip the file, especially with gloves on.

Take Care

About the Granberg holder/guide, :agree2: wholeheartedly. Been using the same one for 35 yrs. in fact.
This tool makes possible consistent file position and angles, and makes it easy to touch up the cutters with the chain on the bar. Much gentler on the chain than a grinder- minimal metal removal and heating.
Just can't think why a vise would be necessary or even useful.
File guides that ride on a cutter, with a line to align with the bar, are multiple steps down relative to the Granberg IMHO; better than nothing.

Latest posts

Back