Newbie wedge question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
Reaction score
Okay, so I'd like to get into some falling now. (You bastages are having all the fun!)

I'll be ordering the Dent book from Bailey's, and while I'm at it, in order to keep from paying $8 shipping on a $12 book, I may as well get some wedges.

So my question is, what's a good collection to start with? I'll be working almost 100% on hardwoods, nothing too out-of-hand to start with. Think probably a max of 20-25" dbh in the beginning, maybe smaller. Nothing out of the ordinary, either...no rotted-out side-leaners on 60* slopes in 45 mph winds. (At least not while they are actively burning.)

Suggestions on sizes/tapers/numbers? And are the metal-capped "hardheads" good options?

Suffice it to say I will be in the company of experienced others at all times when falling, and PPE is a given.

TIA.

If I were you I would get a variety of 10 and 12 in. wedges. Everbody has their favorites and you will go thru them pretty quick if you have never used them before. This way you can find out what you like best.
The more expensive ones usually last longer and are harder, so they deform less easily with a misplaced blow of the axe. But dont be afraid to try the cheap ones, if you can hit them square with the axe they are all you need most of the time. And until you get used to using them you will ruin them quickly no matter if they are the cheap ones or the high priced ones.
A single bit axe with a straight rafting handle is the best to drive them with. A sledge will work, but the axe is better if you are doubling them (wedges) up. Make sure it has a good flat surface to drive with.

After you have beat them up pretty good they can be put in a vice and an angle grinder taken to them.
Dent's book is a must have.

I use a wedge pouch usually and anything smaller than 10" gets swallowed up, same thing with my hip pockets and a chap belt in the way < 10 and they are hard for me to get to. I guess it depends on if you are carying them on you or not.

Last edited:
I very seldom ever use wedges...I prefer using a throwline and setting a rope up in the top of the tree and pulling.For anyone falling trees,I would seriously reccomend getting a throwline and a 5/8 bull rope..There are situations where a wedge won't quite do it,but I have yet to encounter a tree where I couldn't pull down with a rope....You would also need to learn a good knot that won't bind up and be hard to untie,Like a running bowline.

Okay, so I'd like to get into some falling now. (You bastages are having all the fun!)

I'll be ordering the Dent book from Bailey's, and while I'm at it, in order to keep from paying $8 shipping on a $12 book, I may as well get some wedges.

So my question is, what's a good collection to start with? I'll be working almost 100% on hardwoods, nothing too out-of-hand to start with. Think probably a max of 20-25" dbh in the beginning, maybe smaller. Nothing out of the ordinary, either...no rotted-out side-leaners on 60* slopes in 45 mph winds. (At least not while they are actively burning.)

Suggestions on sizes/tapers/numbers? And are the metal-capped "hardheads" good options?

Suffice it to say I will be in the company of experienced others at all times when falling, and PPE is a given.

TIA.
I live in the land of small trees but lot's of them! So I don't use anything bigger than a 8'' I have cut down trees that were smoking but not on fire yet!:dizzy: You might want to stick to the 10'' size never having cut a hard wood I really don't know. My friend that is a really good feller say's I am always in a rush must be my back ground:) :)

I very seldom ever use wedges...I prefer using a throwline and setting a rope up in the top of the tree and pulling.For anyone falling trees,I would seriously reccomend getting a throwline and a 5/8 bull rope..There are situations where a wedge won't quite do it,but I have yet to encounter a tree where I couldn't pull down with a rope....You would also need to learn a good knot that won't bind up and be hard to untie,Like a running bowline.

Wow.

10-12

I have 10-12 wedges now,(not including the ones the saws have hit). I would say 6 is a good number to start with. I have 10 timber savage wedges double and single taper. And I have some of the forester double taper wedges, their good too. I'm going to get some K&H wedges soon. :hmm3grin2orange: :biggrinbounce2: ;) :laugh:

Hmmm... sounds like a PITA to me. I haven't been in a situation yet where wedges can't/won't get the job done. I've had some serious heavy leaners where we hooked a line to, and pulled 'em over with a winch and choker. But those were extreme situations.

A good faller will ALWAYS have wedges. Just plain nuts to not use 'em on bigger stuff. Small stuff like 20" dbh trees I don't have to use wedges all the time. But for the big 'uns... I use a wedge no matter what.

Gary

Hmmm... sounds like a PITA to me. I haven't been in a situation yet where wedges can't/won't get the job done. I've had some serious heavy leaners where we hooked a line to, and pulled 'em over with a winch and choker. But those were extreme situations.

A good faller will ALWAYS have wedges. Just plain nuts to not use 'em on bigger stuff. Small stuff like 20" dbh trees I don't have to use wedges all the time. But for the big 'uns... I use a wedge no matter what.

Gary
Yes but you live in the land of big tree's! I worked in B.C for a few years and know what it is like. Then I get back home and cut a 20'' tree and tell all my friend what a monster I cut :greenchainsaw: I am so jealous! But at least I get to cut a big poplar this weekend going to take my old sp 105 out:biggrinbounce2:

I agree, wedges seem much easier than using a rope. Not much you can not do with them, Im starting to think I can even make a tree fall up with my wedges.:ices_rofl:

I use Stihl wedges and would not recommend them. It's probably my fault but they break up too easy. I've busted up 3 so far all in moderate weather (not freezing). However, all is not lost since I save the larger parts and grind a new taper on them. So I start with a 12" wedge and end up with an 8 or 10". It's my experience that all sizes sooner or later come in handy.

What brand would I recommend?? Since Stihl is the only ones I've tried, and I'm not happy with them, I am following this thread for advice too.

BTW I carry 4 12" double taper wedges and my broken 10/8s in a tool/nail pouch (couldn't see buying a wedge pouch) along with a 3 lb. hand sledge.

Happy and safe felling. Hope they all land where you wanted them.

Like John Ellison says...get a variety. And get several. It really sucks to use all your wedges and still need just one more. The cheapos are good to learn with. Another tip...hit the wedge and look up, hit the wedge and look up....repeat until something starts to move. Look up often...I can't emphasize that enough. Dead limbs, pine cones, bird nests (don't laugh,some of them are huge) will make you wish you'd stayed home that day. And no need, usually, to really slam the wedge. Start wedging early enough and you won't have to hit it too hard. I've seen wedges break and one I know of first hand added a couple of paragraphs to the faller's dental records. And (since I'm lecturing) don't expect wedges to compensate for poorly executed cuts....at least not every time. You can do a lot with wedges but sneak up on that fancy stuff a little at a time.

Gary

I agree, wedges seem much easier than using a rope. Not much you can not do with them, Im starting to think I can even make a tree fall up with my wedges.:ices_rofl:

:popcorn: :) ....Just come on down here and I'll show ya' what I'm talking about....I think I would much rather pull on a rope with a tractor or a skid loader than pound on a wedge with a hammer...I do keep them around,but do not use them to fall big trees.

I'll be working almost 100% on hardwoods, nothing too out-of-hand to start with. Think probably a max of 20-25" dbh in the beginning, maybe smaller. Nothing out of the ordinary, either...no rotted-out side-leaners on 60* slopes in 45 mph winds. (At least not while they are actively burning.)

:hmm3grin2orange:

Harry Calahan said:
"A man's got to know his limitations."

:cheers:

:popcorn: :) ....Just come on down here and I'll show ya' what I'm talking about....I think I would much rather pull on a rope with a tractor or a skid loader than pound on a wedge with a hammer...I do keep them around,but do not use them to fall big trees.

Can't get no tractors or skidders where I have been doin' most of my cuttin' recently... that's mainly why I said it can be a PITA...:D

More wedges...:rock: :rock: :rock:

Gary

What if you ain't got the machine? Whatcha gonna do then Willis?

Back