Newbie with a saw, need advice so I don't hurt myself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure buy all the PPE you can then find someone with experience to SHOW you how.

Offer them a consultant's fee for a couple hours of their time.

Some instruction will really help you while you are finishing the job in your new gear.

Sounds like a good plan. I think I need to buy the gear first. Right now I don't own a chainsaw so, I think I will ask at the dealership about classes or instruction. The other option might be an apprenticeship on a weekend or two with the commercial wood industry in TN.

Lots of good advice on PPE. Safety should always be on your mind. Stop when you're tired. Accidents happen when you "just want to hurry and do this one more cut" then call it a day. Also be very careful with downed trees.
They can be under a lot of tension and spring back at you. You could be injured by the tree (or branch) itself or it could throw your saw back in your face. Think about every cut you make, what could happen, and position yourself accordingly. Have fun and be careful.

:greenchainsaw:

Outside of climbing, I find bucking, and especially limbing, to have the most potential for "dopey" mistakes. Like Rope said, watch for roll, limbs under tension,etc. Use the chainbrake when you move. Try to clear debris as you go. A sharp chain goes a long way towards eliminating kickback.

Wow, looks like most has been covered. All good stuff. One thing that it sounds like your friend may have done is put trees on top of trees? Best is to cut branch that looks like it will come free of pile, set brake, set saw down, pull that branch out and place to side, repeat. You will quickly get very good at cutting only the ones that you can easily pull off the pile. Alternative is to cut something with unknown forces acting on it, and you either get pinched, or have something fly out and bite you. I hope that all made sense? Go S L O W .
randy

Good on ya for realizing that you were in over your head, and looking for info to keep from bleedin!!:clap:

Here's a catalog of good info.
Lots to read and download.
http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/php/library_card.php?p_num=0667 2C01

The best and most reliable resource is a Neighbor, buddy, or family member that ACTUALLY knows his stuff, and spending some time cutting with them.

Be carefull. I grew up using some methods taught to me that ain't exactly safe, and continued until somebody woke me up.
Just cuz some guy owns a Piano dosn't make him a Pianist...even if it is your Uncle or Dad.;)

Heck, picking brains of many of the experienced fallers and woods rats here is a good start. If somebody gives ya bum scoop, they will be called out immediately.;)

Good luck to ya!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Protect youself!

Good on ya for realizing that you were in over your head, and looking for info to keep from bleedin!!:clap:

Here's a catalog of good info.
Lots to read and download.
http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/php/library_card.php?p_num=0667 2C01

The best and most reliable resource is a Neighbor, buddy, or family member that ACTUALLY knows his stuff, and spending some time cutting with them.

Be carefull. I grew up using some methods taught to me that ain't exactly safe, and continued until somebody woke me up.
Just cuz some guy owns a Piano dosn't make him a Pianist...even if it is your Uncle or Dad.;)

Yup!, Because I don't think you can find a full human size condom made of Kevlar! :)
Jeff , 3 minutes into feeling better.

Latest posts

Back