Newbie with some questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L_Nicholson

Reaction score
I have about 40 ac that I'd like to plant in timber in Southern Indiana and am needing some advise and opinions.

My goal is to attract the wildlife and have a decent stand of timber in about 30 years. I'm 32 so I figure I can try to add to my retirement with the trees if I can.

I was looking at the sawtooth Oaks and after talking to the Indiana Forester he said they are not recommending them any more since they are so invasive. I was also looking at the Bebbs oak. This is a cross between a Burr and a White oak and are said to grow and bear seeds quicker. So if you were going to plant for my ambitions what would you recommend?

I have a section in addition to the above acreage that I plan on planting some apple and persimmon trees in also. So there will be more food supply than just the 40 acres.

Thanks for your help!

Lee

Welcome to the site L, all I can say is don't put all your eggs in one basket, variety.

Thanks clearance,

no doubt about that. I have several mature white and red oaks and walnut trees that I plan on seed planting in when I can each year. Also the poplar around here will take over the place even if I didn't plant anything.

The State forester even said that is why they only require 40 trees per acre for the crp programs because the poplar will fill in the gaps after the first year of spraying.

By poplar do you mean cottonwood? I hate that tree, its bad news, heavy, fast growing, weak, worthless as a sawlog, etc. I worked as a juvenile spacer (in the coastal rainforest, PNW) they wanted about 600 trees per hectare (2.47 acres) so about 240 approx. per acre. Plant more good trees than you need, you can always space out the culls.

no, these are yellow poplar. Indiana’s state tree. They are pretty good. they grow fast and are ok for logs.

I thinned the woods that I have and cut a lot of the poplar and kept 2/3 of my oaks and walnut. So opening up those areas for the veneer should make a difference in seed production.

Let me ask this.

My state forester said they plant 400 trees per acre when reforesting..... but from a logging perspective it would seem to me that putting more trees in per ac would make them more marketable once mature.

I know other states require 600 to 650 per ac.

Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back