Newspaper Chainsaw Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, good one.
I especially like the following :

It has a number of features to ease the anxiety of first-time chain saw users.

Gots to have me one like that...:hmm3grin2orange:

I like the first line .......

"Sooner or later, everyone needs a chain saw."

Yeah, keep it right there next to ya Smith & Wesson.

Hey, I went to the Smith & Wesson website and bugger me cop a load of this!

They feature a Ryobi! What a goof!

2 things I picked out: 40cc are "generous", and it is "fully assembled and ready to go out of the box", meaning that first time user is completely on his own.

I should forward this to my buddy at work. Yesterday he asked if he could borrow one of my saws for a week or two to cut firewood because he didn't want to spend $150 on a saw of his own.

I had to tell him no. I told him my cheapest saw is $600. I spent the money, so could he. Plus, a good firewood saw will pay for itself in one year....especially if it's already assembled and ready to go out of the box!

Ekka said:
Hey, I went to the Smith & Wesson website and bugger me cop a load of this!

Ah, well, never had much use for Smiths, myself... :eek: They're kinda the Wildthing of the gun world. :taped:

Springfield Armory, on the other hand -- :rock:

Anything Ryobi with a gas engine I've ever seen has been garbage. Those weedeaters are crap; they fry quickly. Looks like a Homelite to me. I love how they put ridiculous bars on tiny saws. There's a reason my 011AV, which in engine size is bigger, can handle up to a 16".

Pretty easy to figure this out. Homo-Depot gave Gadget Guy some stuff he needed (tools, lumber, whatever) to help them flog these saws. So much for journalistic integrity, what do you expect. If I was a dealer in quality saws and read this newspaper I would complain, like WTF?

and an automatic chain brake that protects against kickbacks.

That is the part that is most scary to me. Sending a first time owner/user out thinking this thing is totally safe.

"Sooner or later, everyone needs a chain saw.

Ryobi's new 18-inch gas chain saw is a good choice for handy folks who long for the sound and fury of a chain saw, but won't be using it to clear forests."

Wonder what he would recommend for clearing forests?:monkey:

hamradio said:
Anything Ryobi with a gas engine I've ever seen has been garbage. Those weedeaters are crap; they fry quickly. Looks like a Homelite to me. I love how they put ridiculous bars on tiny saws. There's a reason my 011AV, which in engine size is bigger, can handle up to a 16".

I have one of those weedeaters I was given for Father's day year before last. It never did run right until I gutted the muffler and cut the limiters off the carb. Now it screams (as much as a cheap weedeater can) but for how log remains to be seen.

aggiewoodbutchr said:
I have one of those weedeaters I was given for Father's day year before last. It never did run right until I gutted the muffler and cut the limiters off the carb. Now it screams (as much as a cheap weedeater can) but for how log remains to be seen.

I tell my wife this is not website of rednecks, then someone muffler mods a weedeater. LOL

Fred

People tell me I'm going to cut a foot off with my homemade weedeater thing. I won't, since it has a guard. :D (I take that back, since if I say it can't happen, it will :D) Anyway, it used to be a "Pull On Pro" sad 32cc brushcutter. I ported the heck out of that thing, muffler modded it, and turned it into a ridiculous screamer. Muffler mod. Big carb. Then I mixed vegetable oil with the gas instead of 2 stroke oil. Lubricated everything inside the engine great (don't try it; if you do, don't blame me if you wreck an engine; this is my experience of veggie oil and gas for a 2 stroke), but really made that thing scream!!!! Sounded so wicked. Must've been 14k rpm, maybe more wide open. But, when I got it, it was a straight shaft weedeater. The gearhead was hacksawed off. So, naturally, I threw a curved shaft onto it, unbolted the head, and bolted a 7 1/4" circular saw blade on it. Wow!!! Very wicked, especially that the blade was only rated at like 6k rpm. :D Could cut anything under like 3". 1.5" and less green trees could be taken out by just taking a swing at the tree with it wide open. Then, it ran at such high rpms with the veggie oil, it got really hot in the recoil, and melted all the plastic parts together. Luckily, I had a low end Elux Husqvarna weedeater that used the same engine laying around. The engine is now in that. I'll have to take a pic of it. Makes a interesting noise.

Back