Nice piece of Ash once you get past the nasty Crotch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biker Dude

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

Ha! Made you look!

That's a heavy load, but it looks like you got 'er home. :clap:

So what's the rest of the story? Was there a crane there from a tree removal? Some type of grapple?

Did you buck it to firewood length to get it off? (This would have been a great video.)

Well since you asked....

attachment.php

attachment.php

In fear of the monster snowstorm that is coming I decided to take the day and cut along the snowmobile trails through my friend's woods while they were still passable. The first load was the red oak, the second load was more red oak and the elm by the splitter and the third load was the ash. Since I only had the 16" bar Husky 350 with me for the final load I decided to bring the trunk home and attack it with the 24" bar on my PM610. I drug the trunk 1/2 mile or so to my friend's shed and used his skidsteer to put it in the truck then carefully hauled the 2 miles back to my house where I plucked it off with my skidsteer. My son didn't think the truck would make it loaded that heavy but those old springs are pretty flexible. Someday I'll go too heavy though and then I'll get to upgrade to 1 ton springs!:msp_thumbsup:

After re-stacking the fallen end stack on my last row of oak I split and stacked about 1/2 of the wood I had laying and gave up at 10 pm last night. Since it isn't snowing yet I'm going to go out and see if I can get the rest under tarp before the blizzard hits.

Last edited:
Nice load`s ! You are a hard worker .

Only thing different is I would have cut the trunk up and loaded it by my self. I dont have any friends that want to help me. It seems like Im the only one giving the help.

I have a truck just like yours. You shouldnt have a problem hauling any kind of load in that thing. I load mine like that some time while pulling a loaded 16 foot trailer too. Mine is bad on gas and leaks oil but will start every time I turn the key. I cant remember when I had to buy a battery for it.

Yep, that sounds just like my truck!

It's nice to live in a close knit rural area where neighbors are friends and help each other out. Sometimes it seems like I give more help than I get but other times It seems like it all works out. My neighbors let me cut and use their equipment if I need to and in exchange I try my best to keep their woods healthy and clean.

i run a 3/4 ton due to price of tags and insurance.... here the difference in tags is $60.00... the county added a extra tax to the tag cost for 1 tons...so many people where running them as business but not tagging them that way..so now all 1 tons are commercial tags and insurance... what a racket...i was going to say your one bad dude if you picked that log up and loaded it by hand..but then was pleased to see you worked smarter not harder...:msp_thumbsup::msp_thumbsup:

1 tons are more to tab here too. That's why I'll just upgrade the springs on mine when it's time. It really is a good truck and has hauled at least 50 full cord since I have owned it. It always starts unless it's well below zero and even if some part fails I can always limp it home because I cut within 2 miles of my place. I wish the tired 305 would pop so I could put my 472 Cadillac in it but the dang thing just keeps going, it doesn't have the power to kill itself.

For some reason that ole saying of"once you get past the smell ya got her licked" comes to mind.:msp_lol::msp_lol::msp_lol:

1 tons are more to tab here too. That's why I'll just upgrade the springs on mine when it's time. It really is a good truck and has hauled at least 50 full cord since I have owned it. It always starts unless it's well below zero and even if some part fails I can always limp it home because I cut within 2 miles of my place. I wish the tired 305 would pop so I could put my 472 Cadillac in it but the dang thing just keeps going, it doesn't have the power to kill itself.

When the springs break, put the 472 in it. Done, and done. :) Those 305's are weak, but tough engines, seemingly more so than the 350. Not sure why, but they are one of the toughest v8's out there. I know of several guys running TBI 305's and those engine had seen everything short of hydrolocking, and still run. Ridiculous. (for a v8, anyway; ever seen what a toyota hilux four cylinder will go through before it quits?)

For some reason that ole saying of"once you get past the smell ya got her licked" comes to mind.:msp_lol::msp_lol::msp_lol:
If we were talking about Box Elder I would agree but I kind of like the smell of Ash.

Wait a minute, that came out wrong.... :jester:

PM610 said:
When the springs break, put the 472 in it. Done, and done.
I hear ya' but I'm too cheap to replace a part that hasn't failed yet and swapping in the Caddy engine isn't as easy as swapping in another small block. It probably won't happen until I take the body off to fix all the rusty spots someday.

Latest posts

Back