Nice tree!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last of the 4 trees I lucked into when I was ####ering for that big stand of locust. This is the only big tree of the bunch. Was a bit stubborn coming down. Undercut, back cut and drove 2 stacked wedges to the hilt. They drove easily but the tree just sat there. A bit more sawing on one edge did it. Didn't leave much holding wood when it did come down.

002-34.jpg

4 hours later I had every thing but some of the trash cleared away from the forks to the left. Took this shot before cutting those stems.

trimmed.jpg

Good news. Not one of those stems was on the ground. Everything seems to be held up by that stub ssticking down just to the right of the forks. I'll chuck some of the trash under the log and may get t cut up an entire tree clear of the ground...well, probably have the last cut that I will have to roll over.

Bad news. It is raining now (not hard) and supposed to continue into morning. I will have to go out and work in that plus whatever mud to cut up the base log and finish clearing away the trash. If too muddy to get the truck to it, I will roll the rounds to the field edge.

Eyeball says I gained perhaps 2 cords of B. Locust out of that serendipitouse score.

Harry K

RE: Nice Tree

Yes Sir this is a nice one for sure. I 'd like to have one of those to work on myself.

I always liked the state of Washington. I was station in Bremerton for 7 months when my Carrier was in the drydocks. They were building the space needle for the World's Fair in Seattle at that time back in 1961. How far from Richland, Pasco and Kennewick are you ?
I had relatives living in Richland who worked out at Camp Hanford back in the 1950's and 1960's.

I'm just curious about that trunk section -- after you get it bucked up -- what method do you use to load it into your truck or trailer ?

Have a good time bucking it up and splitting it.

Nosmo

Excellent score

Dang nice wood, too. They must have been cut out of this area, supposedly grow here, dang if I ever see any. Oh well, cut plenty of other stuff to cut and split, it ain't the desert!

Yes Sir this is a nice one for sure. I 'd like to have one of those to work on myself.

I always liked the state of Washington. I was station in Bremerton for 7 months when my Carrier was in the drydocks. They were building the space needle for the World's Fair in Seattle at that time back in 1961. How far from Richland, Pasco and Kennewick are you ?
I had relatives living in Richland who worked out at Camp Hanford back in the 1950's and 1960's.

I'm just curious about that trunk section -- after you get it bucked up -- what method do you use to load it into your truck or trailer ?

Have a good time bucking it up and splitting it.

Nosmo

Abotu 150 miles from those places, only a about 25 miles from the Idaho border.
The Black Locust here is a "furriner" They were all planted by the settlers and subsequent generations.

Everything I cut has to come home on that pickup (f150 2x) and all goes on by hand. Anything I can't 'grunt' onto it gets either wedged or noodled.

My day today was a total disaster. Got 3 chains sharped Saturday (normally I do them myselve but they were there to get one drive link each removed). Looked at them yesterday and they didn't look good...they weren't, cut nothing by bug dust.

Started with 3 saws (Husky 51, MS310, MS361) all with fairly sharp chains (all had bee used the other day). Had 3 chains I sharpened with me. Barely got started when the 361 quit oiling. Used teh 310 to cut the remainder except the last two cuts. Must have hit something because that chain went bad, put on anothe fresh one for anothe rcut and it also went bad. Those last two cuts on the butt are really ugly with cutting from both sides and cuts not lining up. Finished with the Husky 51.

On to loading and found that not one round was a candidate for wedging, all had to be noodled. Did two and the 310 quit oiling. Finished all the noodling with the 51 and still on the original chain.

Bottom line, I came home with 2 of 3 saws out of service, every chain I had needs resharped (5 or 6 of them), spent 4 hours when it should have been 2.

At leat that site is cleared away, on to bigger and better things....I hope. Got 2 lined up but the access to them is terrible. Gonna try in a day or two.

I haven't checked yet but I suspect the oil holes in the bars plugged up on the 310 and 361.
Harry K

I haven't checked yet but I suspect the oil holes in the bars plugged up on the 310 and 361.
Harry K

Thanks for sharing, Harry. Tough breaks on the saws & chains. I hate it when I pay someone to do something and then realize that I'd have been better off doing it myself...

Not to hijack this thread too much but:

How do you know - other than holding the bar tip close to a log or something with the throttle @ WOT - that your oiler is/is not functioning properly? How often do you check?

You can feel it

Thanks for sharing, Harry. Tough breaks on the saws & chains. I hate it when I pay someone to do something and then realize that I'd have been better off doing it myself...

Not to hijack this thread too much but:

How do you know - other than holding the bar tip close to a log or something with the throttle @ WOT - that your oiler is/is not functioning properly? How often do you check?

You can feel when a chain stops being oiled properly, you might be getting the same size chips but all of a sudden the saw has to work a lot more to get them, and in between cuts you can see it, the chain is dry, should be a little slimy wet and shiny. Look right at the junction of chain and rail, should be a little slop there. Plus, the bar heats up *fast*, gets real hot if there is no oil. I mean hotter than it normally gets.

You shouldn't have to hit WOT to see oil splatter with a test, I never do that, just a few blips.

Another sure-fire clue (looks around furtively and lowers voice) is when you go to refuel, then go over to add more bar oil..and it is still full....don't ask me how I know this... ;)

You can feel when a chain stops being oiled properly, you might be getting the same size chips but all of a sudden the saw has to work a lot more to get them, and in between cuts you can see it, the chain is dry, should be a little slimy wet and shiny. Look right at the junction of chain and rail, should be a little slop there. Plus, the bar heats up *fast*, gets real hot if there is no oil. I mean hotter than it normally gets.

You shouldn't have to hit WOT to see oil splatter with a test, I never do that, just a few blips.

Another sure-fire clue (looks around furtively and lowers voice) is when you go to refuel, then go over to add more bar oil..and it is still full....don't ask me how I know this... ;)

I haven't checked yet but another clue is when the service man tells you that the oil tank has gas in it. Don't ask.

Harry K

Not Enough Oil

I have that not enough oil problem with my little MS250 -- no adjustment -- no setting and I have to depend on what the pump puts out which doesn't seem enough at times.

The MS 260 Pro oils very good and has an adjustment which can increase or decrease the flow. My first saw back in 1972 was a McCollough Mini-Mac 6. This little 14" saw oiled automatically (no adjustment) but also had a lever by the throttle which was a manual oil pump lever. This was handy for a long cut into dry wood.

Don't you just hate it if you cut into a tree and sparks begin flying from a bunch of nails or barb wire embeded in it. :-(

Nosmo

Latest posts

Back