Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can post pictures and timing numbers, YES on advancing the timing as I think that improves this series in stock form. I'll be shooting for compression in the 190+ range. The one I have has 180 with a pop up piston.

Please make a thread for it or just keep us very well posted on here. I'm very interested in this!

Muffler mod...

attachment.php

I like the way those pipes have that elbow in them.

Oh yeah the hood has to be modified. I 'll let the fella that owns it worry bout that part and I'm sure he already has a plan.

I have a 5400 I think I'd like to try that on. I have a hood thats cracked.Would't bother me modding it. Now I just have to find another muffler. Be interesting to see how it runs.

Poulan 3400 weird issue

Situation I haven't encountered before. Pulling recoil when first starting is fine or when doing a compression test. However once saw pops and I push in choke, saw recoil pulls normally but on 2nd or 3rd pull recoil feels like its slipping or almost like there is no compression. I've checked flywheel dogs and recoil pulley and everything is fine. Flywheel is also fine and not slipping on crank. Saw ends up starting and running fine but this slipping type feeling has me wondering what's going on. Anyone experienced this situation?

Bob

Situation I haven't encountered before. Pulling recoil when first starting is fine or when doing a compression test. However once saw pops and I push in choke, saw recoil pulls normally but on 2nd or 3rd pull recoil feels like its slipping or almost like there is no compression. I've checked flywheel dogs and recoil pulley and everything is fine. Flywheel is also fine and not slipping on crank. Saw ends up starting and running fine but this slipping type feeling has me wondering what's going on. Anyone experienced this situation?

Bob

Recoil spring binding.
Pull it apart and clean everything real well with carb cleaner or similar.
Apply a light coat of lubricant, or better yet graphite powder and reassemble.
If you run upon anything in there exhibiting excessive wear.......replace it.

Mike

Recoil spring binding.
Pull it apart and clean everything real well with carb cleaner or similar.
Apply a light coat of lubricant, or better yet graphite powder and reassemble.
If you run upon anything in there exhibiting excessive wear.......replace it.

Mike

I'll give it a shot Mike. though it did the same thing thing after switching covers with another saw

This is a clutch cover from a 306A with a crack right at where the bucking spike attaches. I noticed that even on my own saw it is cracked in the exact same place. This must be a weak spot on these covers. Well it's all good now.

262492d1353107023-306-cover-jpg
262491d1353107017-306-cover-jpg

This is where I put the cover on the saw to see how it looks.
I like it.
Heck I did not know my own cover was cracked until I took the spike off.
262490d1353107007-306-cover-2-jpg
View attachment 262490View attachment 262491View attachment 262492

just now seeing this. excellent job.

Just finished ordering the last of my parts to complete my PP305. Now all it needs is a chain. Id like to post the pics on here now, but Ill wait till its done. Whats the DL count on one of these with a 16" bar? And Im debating whether or not i should fuel it up...

Just finished ordering the last of my parts to complete my PP305. Now all it needs is a chain. Id like to post the pics on here now, but Ill wait till its done. Whats the DL count on one of these with a 16" bar? And Im debating whether or not i should fuel it up...

16" bar with .325 should be 66DL.

Although I know mine has never cut wood, the joker before me put fuel in it and tried to start it (with the vent line hooked to the impulse nipple on the carb :hmm3grin2orange: ) so I went ahead and started it.

If mine would have never had gas in it I may not have started it though, your choice.

Couple Poulans available in my area, a 4200 and a 6900. $125 and $200 respectively.

I like my 3400 and figure I should add some more classic green muscle to my herd.

Thoughts?

Back