Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet! Which manufacturer's IH red did you use? I'm thinking about painting my 5200 IH red.:D

Tractor Supply Co., implement paint,goes on great and durable.....just takes forever to dry unless you have the temps in the 70+

I got my 3.7 together. It starts and runs wellt, but I need to tune it in wood. Appreciate the advice I got here. I took Mikes advice and cleaned the piston up and put new rings on it. I gained 20 psi, up to 150. I rebuilt the carb, and a new air filter. Painted it, and made some decals. It had a bad repaint job, probably to sell it on ebay, and the orange was coming off as you handled it. I shot it with self etching primer and some IH red I had left over from the tractor. I was just killing time until the parts came. Sorry Michigan guys, but I have to love the scarlet and gray Buckeye start to my craftsman collection:heart:.

Now I have to see if my base sealant holds. Firewood cut this weekend for the landowner who lets us hunt. We'll see how they do.
View attachment 282970View attachment 282971View attachment 282972View attachment 282973

Looking good cmarti :msp_thumbsup: I might have to do that to 3.7 sometime. I might have to use some gray on the top cover, to give it a little more Buckeye look to it.;) By the way, we gave them Hoosiers more than they bargained for last night. :msp_razz: Go Bucks! Browns! Indians! & Cavs! :cheers:

Gregg,

I got my 3.7 together. It starts and runs wellt, but I need to tune it in wood. Appreciate the advice I got here. I took Mikes advice and cleaned the piston up and put new rings on it. I gained 20 psi, up to 150. I rebuilt the carb, and a new air filter. Painted it, and made some decals. It had a bad repaint job, probably to sell it on ebay, and the orange was coming off as you handled it. I shot it with self etching primer and some IH red I had left over from the tractor. I was just killing time until the parts came. Sorry Michigan guys, but I have to love the scarlet and gray Buckeye start to my craftsman collection:heart:.

Now I have to see if my base sealant holds. Firewood cut this weekend for the landowner who lets us hunt. We'll see how they do.

cmarti,
Very nice looking work! Did you say you made those Craftsman stickers yourself? They may not be the originals, but I think they look better that the striped ones. Go well with the paint job. Want to sell a few?

Great score on that Preadator 335, I have 2 PP 335s both with the original replaceable tip 20" .325 bar and chains and they are just great saws, maybe my favorite to run.
Here's what I finished up today. I got this one in with a few others and even though when I got it it had loose covers and an inch of grime I knew under that was a nice saw. Its a 1987 3800. orig bar and safety chain. the ign. switch was robbed, pawl on the flywheel broken, missing recoil screw and a wood screw holding the hand guard (that $#!t drives me crazy) Other wise a low hour saw in great shape. I pulled the jug, cleaned up the ex port and removed the base gasket, got moto-seal there now. I put a spare 3400 flywheel on, replaced the missing or incorrect fasteners, new ign switch gave it a good cleaning, fuel system over haul and here it is. I left the muffler alone on this one, even left the spark arrestor! The orig bar can stay but I will be getting a real chain for it. It runs very well too!
in progress
DSCF0828_zps8eedee3b.jpg

DSCF0836_zps0f59556f.jpg

DSCF0837_zps3a982fc0.jpg

DSCF0838_zps54f699d9.jpg

Another Great job Joe! That era of Poulan saws is my favorite in the looks department. Mid to late 1980's with the green & black paint scheme. I have one from that era, a 4000. But the 3800, 4000, and the larger 6900, 7700, 8500 are the best looking Poulans in my book. ;)

4000Pics009.jpg

4000Pics007.jpg

Gregg,

Thanks.

cmarti,
Very nice looking work! Did you say you made those Craftsman stickers yourself? They may not be the originals, but I think they look better that the striped ones. Go well with the paint job. Want to sell a few?

Saved images from the web (Don't sue me Sears), inserted/pasted into a word document. I originally tried decal paper in the printer and it works, but did not think it would hold up to any use. This is probably the last time the saw will shine, but I tried the magnet paper to hold up better. It is used to make crafts and fridge magnets at home. It is useless as a magnet, as it is as thin as a decal. I printed them and painted with clear coat for protection. I attatched with thin coat of clear sealant........it's winter, I am bored
View attachment 283029View attachment 283030

does this mean you didn't have to sand down the other paint?
btw, great job. really nice looking saw. love mine as much as the 375.

Just hand sanded and feathered the edges of missing paint, washed in lye, wiped down with alcohol and acetone. The implement paint covers a fair amount of sins. The right way to do it would be to soft blast magnesium, but I am going to cut with them and I am not THAT bored.

Last edited:
Saved images from the web (Don't sue me Sears), inserted/pasted into a word document. I originally tried decal paper in the printer and it works, but did not think it would hold up to any use. This is probably the last time the saw will shine, but I tried the magnet paper to hold up better. It is used to make crafts and fridge magnets at home. It is useless as a magnet, as it is as thin as a decal. I printed them and painted with clear coat for protection. I attatched with thin coat of clear sealant........it's winter, I am bored
View attachment 283029View attachment 283030

If you can find a good print shop that will work with you, you can take the images and have them printed on their color laser. I then spray with a few coats of clear acrylic to protect it.

Last edited:
...Just hand sanded and feathered the edges of missing paint, washed in lye, wiped down with alcohol and acetone. The implement paint covers a fair amount of sins...

thanks, good info. the self etching primer is a new one on me. probly explains why the saw i painted is having a hard time holding paint at the gas tank. oh btw, really like your red hi/lo screws. accident or on purpose?

I was gonna rep you for the saw before you desecrated them with the buckeye comment.

Don't be a hater:msp_tongue::laugh: I must admit that green of Joe's saw is prettier. Does he use those saws?

thanks, good info. the self etching primer is a new one on me. probly explains why the saw i painted is having a hard time holding paint at the gas tank. oh btw, really like your red hi/lo screws. accident or on purpose?

Previous paint job and I forgot to clean em! Thanks for showing me.

Another Great job Joe! That era of Poulan saws is my favorite in the looks department. Mid to late 1980's with the green & black paint scheme. I have one from that era, a 4000. But the 3800, 4000, and the larger 6900, 7700, 8500 are the best looking Poulans in my book. ;)

4000Pics009.jpg

4000Pics007.jpg

Gregg,

That's a real nice 4000 Gregg. The black and green are great looking saws. I see some 3400s and 3800s but not as many 4000s like yours

Looking good cmarti :msp_thumbsup: I might have to do that to 3.7 sometime. I might have to use some gray on the top cover, to give it a little more Buckeye look to it.;) By the way, we gave them Hoosiers more than they bargained for last night. :msp_razz: Go Bucks! Browns! Indians! & Cavs! :cheers:

Gregg,

Keep blowing Gregg, I dont think those Cavs want any part of Indy this year. :laugh:

i received another NOS parts shipment last week and most of the parts will be available. let me know with a PM if any of you guys are looking for something to finish up a saw? I have paypal and sell on Ebay. Some of the stuff is on ebay now but more will go on. i would like to give you guys first dibs. You have been a great resource for me in a very short time. Mark, Tom, Ed and a few others have been an incredible help as well.
The parts list is over 500 line items so i am not posting it here. what is will say is i have a lot of 245A, 306A, S25DA stuff. i also have a lot of 3400, etc items.
give me a PM if you are looking for something
thanks,
Stephen

Stephen, you sure you want to give us 'first dibs'? Or just drumming up business?

Hey Mark never dare a Redneck to find a set up for something. I just tested my 5020 today with 325 7T RIM sprocket. Hint hint. Took all of 5mins to find and 3 swaps. :hmm3grin2orange:

I like the 3/8 way better. Then again I was using carlton 325, maybe if I had stihl 325 I would like it better in that set up.

they are for sale for $10.00 each (per decal) plus shipping. i will be putting them on the bay in the next couple days. Some are spoken for already but wanted to share before they are gone.

thanks

View attachment 283039View attachment 283040

You should really share that pic with joe Salva. He only needs scans with a ruler and he can start to repop the ones he doesn't have. He was super easy to work with!

Latest posts

Back