Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jerrycmorrow

jerrycmorrow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
530019042 is the FW side. Goes into the "bearing carrier" under the flywheel.

530001936 inner PTO side seal that goes into the crankcase.

530019035 is the seal that goes into the oil pump housing (you'd call this the outer PTO seal).

Industrial equivalents for all three of these were found in Mark's "Seal Finders" thread. Search Mark's started threads list and you'll find it.

Thanks appreciate it

67 Mustang

67 Mustang

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Recently I was able to find a Craftsman 3.7 clutch side cover (plastic). Will there be any issues in putting that on a 3400? Seems to fit although it sticks out a bit more.
Also is there a rational reason why a used cover (make that a very well used) sells for more that a NOS one on e-bay? Hope you day is going well. Frank

No problem installing the 3.7 on a 3400.
The only reason why I can imagine that a NOS sells for more than an older one is that people may prefer the metal one over the plastic. If you're talking about two plastic ones, I can't imagine. Are you talking about asking prices or ones that actually have sold?.

3000 FPS

3000 FPS

Dirt Roads are fine by me.
. AS Supporting Member.
Recently I was able to find a Craftsman 3.7 clutch side cover (plastic). Will there be any issues in putting that on a 3400? Seems to fit although it sticks out a bit more.
Also is there a rational reason why a used cover (make that a very well used) sells for more that a NOS one on e-bay? Hope you day is going well. Frank

I have noticed this also. The newer plastic ones are cheaper than the older used magnesium ones. I bought a magnesium one that was broken where the chain adjuster goes because it was the only way I could find one cheap enough and I can weld it.

fossil
Hey Tim this is what it looked like when I got it.
282848d1362499041-pred5%5B1%5D-jpg

282849d1362499042-pred4%5B1%5D-jpg

View attachment 282848View attachment 282849

Really nice work.

I see you did a muffler mod. Did you leave the baffle plate in? I left mine (285) out and didn't add an extra port in the case. It made it a pain lining up the diffuser putting it back together.

a. palmer jr.
I have noticed this also. The newer plastic ones are cheaper than the older used magnesium ones. I bought a magnesium one that was broken where the chain adjuster goes because it was the only way I could find one cheap enough and I can weld it.

Another thing about ebay...you never know who's bidding on ebay and what they're thinking. I've seen identical items go for way different prices. I guess it depends on who's bidding at the time and how badly they want the item..

My favorite ebay story is when I noticed the Homelite Super XL saws were going kinda high about three years ago so I had two of them and thought I'd sell my worst one. To my surprise I got close to $100 for it. I decided that if they're doing that good I'd sell my best one, which got me around $70. The difference in the two saws was obvious, one was a beater and the other was close to being a shelf queen. So I guess don't assume anything.

3000 FPS

3000 FPS

. AS Supporting Member.
Really nice work.

I see you did a muffler mod. Did you leave the baffle plate in? I left mine (285) out and didn't add an extra port in the case. It made it a pain lining up the diffuser putting it back together.

I take a small cut off wheel and cut half of the baffle away on both sides just leaving the area for the bolts to go through. I install a new spark arrestor. Then I cut a small slit down both sides of the muffler and open it up with a screw driver and pliers. That is my muffler mod.

rms61moparman

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite

Good luck with that!
They are not the highest quality product that Poulan ever produced by far.

I used to be totally against the plastic covers, until I noticed that all of the metal ones I could find were broken and the plastic ones weren't.
The fact is, the plastic is a HUGE improvement!

Mike

3000 FPS

3000 FPS

. AS Supporting Member.
Good luck with that!

I used to be totally against the plastic covers, until I noticed that all of the metal ones I could find were broken and the plastic ones weren't.

Mike

Thanks Mike that is all the incentive I need to get it done now.

joe25DA

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Great score on that Preadator 335, I have 2 PP 335s both with the original replaceable tip 20" .325 bar and chains and they are just great saws, maybe my favorite to run.
Here's what I finished up today. I got this one in with a few others and even though when I got it it had loose covers and an inch of grime I knew under that was a nice saw. Its a 1987 3800. orig bar and safety chain. the ign. switch was robbed, pawl on the flywheel broken, missing recoil screw and a wood screw holding the hand guard (that $#!t drives me crazy) Other wise a low hour saw in great shape. I pulled the jug, cleaned up the ex port and removed the base gasket, got moto-seal there now. I put a spare 3400 flywheel on, replaced the missing or incorrect fasteners, new ign switch gave it a good cleaning, fuel system over haul and here it is. I left the muffler alone on this one, even left the spark arrestor! The orig bar can stay but I will be getting a real chain for it. It runs very well too!
in progress
DSCF0828_zps8eedee3b.jpg

DSCF0836_zps0f59556f.jpg

DSCF0837_zps3a982fc0.jpg

DSCF0838_zps54f699d9.jpg

fossil
Poulan Canada Before Electtrolux

I posted this in another thread but here's a bit of info regarding Poulan Canada's office / manufacturing locations in Canada from 1978 until Elux bought them. This info from an old Poulan dealer.

Skil division of Emerson Elec Canada Limited was located at 1190 Caledonia Road, Toronto, Ontario, M6A 2W6, 416- 789-7811 same as Poulan / Weedeater division (Manufacturing)

Emerson Elec Canada Limited was at PO, Box150, Markham, Ontario, Canada, L3P 3J6, telephone 416-294-9340, Poulan / Weedeater Division. (Office) and maybe warehouse

Modifiedmark
Good luck with that!

Mike

The plastic ones are better for morons who can't figure out how to get the adjusting pin in the hole in the bar before they tighten the cover down, I'll give you that. :hmm3grin2orange:

Eccentric

Eccentric

Mister Wizard
The plastic ones are better for morons who can't figure out how to get the adjusting pin in the hole in the bar before they tighten the cover down, I'll give you that. :hmm3grin2orange:

My 306A came to me with a bar tensioner screw that was bent into a shallow 'U'. Some bonehead had tightened the bar nuts down with the adjuster pin unseated. That's a testament to the toughness of the 200/300 series clutch cover. I was able to carefully straighten the adjuster screw (while it was on the saw) enough to be able to remove it from the saw without breaking the bar pad. I then further straightened it with a vice, a hammer, and some foul language.......and then cleaned up the threads with a die. Still using that adjuster screw.:D

cmarti

cmarti

ArboristSite Guru
3.7 together

I got my 3.7 together. It starts and runs wellt, but I need to tune it in wood. Appreciate the advice I got here. I took Mikes advice and cleaned the piston up and put new rings on it. I gained 20 psi, up to 150. I rebuilt the carb, and a new air filter. Painted it, and made some decals. It had a bad repaint job, probably to sell it on ebay, and the orange was coming off as you handled it. I shot it with self etching primer and some IH red I had left over from the tractor. I was just killing time until the parts came. Sorry Michigan guys, but I have to love the scarlet and gray Buckeye start to my craftsman collection:heart:.

Now I have to see if my base sealant holds. Firewood cut this weekend for the landowner who lets us hunt. We'll see how they do.
View attachment 282970View attachment 282971View attachment 282972View attachment 282973

Eccentric

Eccentric

Mister Wizard
I got my 3.7 together. It starts and runs wellt, but I need to tune it in wood. Appreciate the advice I got here. I took Mikes advice and cleaned the piston up and put new rings on it. I gained 20 psi, up to 150. I rebuilt the carb, and a new air filter. Painted it, and made some decals. It had a bad repaint job, probably to sell it on ebay, and the orange was coming off as you handled it. I shot it with self etching primer and some IH red I had left over from the tractor. I was just killing time until the parts came. Sorry Michigan guys, but I have to love the scarlet and gray Buckeye start to my craftsman collection:heart:.

Now I have to see if my base sealant holds. Firewood cut this weekend for the landowner who lets us hunt. We'll see how they do.
View attachment 282970View attachment 282971View attachment 282972View attachment 282973

Sweet! Which manufacturer's IH red did you use? I'm thinking about painting my 5200 IH red.:D

Latest posts