Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More tid bits for you folks. ;)

Also the new saw has the wider muffler area on crankcase, not the narrower like 3000.

Bingo, that was the dead give away right there. There were only 4 green saws that would straight bolt up a 60cc jug and that is a 3500,3600 3450 and 3750.

The type 3 3450 might even have been listed as 54cc on the tag.

Looks pretty good, now give that puppy a muffler mod and put it in some wood. :hmm3grin2orange

yea that thing is straight piped already, it is wierd seeing the piston and rings so easlily, you sure don't have to remove the muffler to check the piston on these saws. :biggrinbounce2:

Looks pretty good, now give that puppy a muffler mod and put it in some wood. :hmm3grin2orange

yea that thing is straight piped already, it is wierd seeing the piston and rings so easlily, you sure don't have to remove the muffler to check the piston on these saws. :biggrinbounce2:

You ought to see it in the dark when running at speed. You can actually see the combustion going on.

I really like my 71-A it just has its own way about it and when it goes to a GTG everyone wants a turn at it.

I finally think I got all the bugs out of mine and its running like it should. It had several little problems but the main thing I think was that it had the wrong inlet lever spring it it.

I got to thinking on this and I had it right the first time, the 4200 and 5200 did come out in 1975.

I thought the 5200 came out later, but frankly, I'm not a historian on this stuff like you are. I am likely wrong. I don't really care when they came out to confirm this story because this guy is a guy I would trust with my life. He's not a story teller and you could tell this stuff was just a blast from his past. He even said the saw was named "Frank" short for Frankenstein. He was so excited to talk old poulans with me that he wants to start to go to get togethers with me and find an old saw to start playing again.

I can completely confirm the stihl crazy area I live from that time frame because my family all bought new stihls at the same time around 1980-82 and all agree they were not impressive like everyone else thought. They soon owned poulans. I personally grew up with our old stihl dealers kids and the man had a raging business in our area when I was a kid... Aka the early eighties. The others around here were mac guys and there is just the right number of old orange and yellow saws I find in barns to confirm all of it.

I do appreciate your concern for the details as it is a huge asset for restoring and collecting the great green mag. I was just telling you guys because I found it to be a very enjoyable story and thought others would too. It was just fun for me to find out that someone I have known and respected for years was the one that lovingly boxed up all the spare poulan parts I have been buying out of a barn.

I thought the 5200 came out later, but frankly, I'm not a historian on this stuff like you are. I am likely wrong. I don't really care when they came out to confirm this story because this guy is a guy I would trust with my life. He's not a story teller and you could tell this stuff was just a blast from his past. He even said the saw was named "Frank" short for Frankenstein. He was so excited to talk old poulans with me that he wants to start to go to get togethers with me and find an old saw to start playing again.

I can completely confirm the stihl crazy area I live from that time frame because my family all bought new stihls at the same time around 1980-82 and all agree they were not impressive like everyone else thought. They soon owned poulans. I personally grew up with our old stihl dealers kids and the man had a raging business in our area when I was a kid... Aka the early eighties. The others around here were mac guys and there is just the right number of old orange and yellow saws I find in barns to confirm all of it.

I do appreciate your concern for the details as it is a huge asset for restoring and collecting the great green mag. I was just telling you guys because I found it to be a very enjoyable story and thought others would too. It was just fun for me to find out that someone I have known and respected for years was the one that lovingly boxed up all the spare poulan parts I have been buying out of a barn.

No it was a good story, never mind me, I just get to thinking too much sometimes and do take a interest in the history of these things.

Its frustrating to me to know something and not being able to remember it without haveing to second guess, look it up again stuff...

No it was a good story, never mind me, I just get to thinking too much sometimes and do take a interest in the history of these things.

Its frustrating to me to know something and not being able to remember it without haveing to second guess, look it up again stuff...

I'm a slickler for the rules too and I ussually can't remember half of them..lol. Mark, your info on here helped me out more with my initial poulan saws more than anyone else I can think of and I really appreciate it.

I'm really hoping you guys may someday get to meet this guys. He's good people if ya know what I mean. He said he'd love to talk shop with some guys that love old green saws.

Don't worry your memory will only get worse. Ask me how I know!!

Good morning gents. Not trying to hijack this thread but I do have a Poulan/Craftsman question. The carb on my Craftsman 3.7 is not right and I want to set the carb from scratch.... question is from a LIGHTLY seated position, (closed) how far open for the initial carb tuning? Been researching and some say open the H and L screw one turn, some say 1 1/2 and some say two turns? I don't want to hurt the saw. Thanks

Good morning gents. Not trying to hijack this thread but I do have a Poulan/Craftsman question. The carb on my Craftsman 3.7 is not right and I want to set the carb from scratch.... question is from a LIGHTLY seated position, (closed) how far open for the initial carb tuning? Been researching and some say open the H and L screw one turn, some say 1 1/2 and some say two turns? I don't want to hurt the saw. Thanks

One turn should get it running if your carb is okay.

Mike

One turn out on both high and low

Thanks fossil. How about the idle screw? Close it or leave it?

Idle will need adjusted as you fine tune. As long as it is not all the way in, or out to make up for a carb problem, leave it until you get it running.

My saw would run at 2-2.5 out L & H when I first go it. After rebuilding the carb it is 1, 1.25. If you find something way off, you may need the kit. good luck!

Diaphram Material

My poulans/craftsmans cut well this weekend. We cut about 5 cords of 16-30" Ash rounds, that had succombed to that dang borer. We even tried a 24" on the 3.7 for a while, and it pulled it fine if not lightening fast. Pics to come.

I was a little disappointed in the oilers, and used the manual oilers to supplement. I took both oilers apart, spiffed em up and cleaned out the lines. I will try them this week, but nothing broken was found.... leading me to think the diaphragms are tired. They (530024345)
are NLA where I have looked. If they are the problem, is there a way to rejuvenate?.....Or cut my own as some of the antique car guys do on their fuel pumps. You can get butyl rubber and nylon reinforced material at Mcmaster and Grainger Anybody ever tried this?

Thanks for any insight.

Latest posts

Back