Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My poulans/craftsmans cut well this weekend. We cut about 5 cords of 16-30" Ash rounds, that had succombed to that dang borer. We even tried a 24" on the 3.7 for a while, and it pulled it fine if not lightening fast. Pics to come.

I was a little disappointed in the oilers, and used the manual oilers to supplement. I took both oilers apart, spiffed em up and cleaned out the lines. I will try them this week, but nothing broken was found.... leading me to think the diaphragms are tired. They (530024345)
are NLA where I have looked. If they are the problem, is there a way to rejuvenate?.....Or cut my own as some of the antique car guys do on their fuel pumps. You can get butyl rubber and nylon reinforced material at Mcmaster and Grainger Anybody ever tried this?

Thanks for any insight.

If you're using that sticky bar oil it might help to fill it up next time with regular old motor oil. It seems to go through the older saws better than the sticky stuff. Just like in a car use thinner oil when the weather is cold.

Note: I didn't mean to use OLD motor oil or used motor oil.

Last edited:
My poulans/craftsmans cut well this weekend. We cut about 5 cords of 16-30" Ash rounds, that had succombed to that dang borer. We even tried a 24" on the 3.7 for a while, and it pulled it fine if not lightening fast. Pics to come.

I was a little disappointed in the oilers, and used the manual oilers to supplement. I took both oilers apart, spiffed em up and cleaned out the lines. I will try them this week, but nothing broken was found.... leading me to think the diaphragms are tired. They (530024345)
are NLA where I have looked. If they are the problem, is there a way to rejuvenate?.....Or cut my own as some of the antique car guys do on their fuel pumps. You can get butyl rubber and nylon reinforced material at Mcmaster and Grainger Anybody ever tried this?

Thanks for any insight.

I don't think those diaphrams like to pump thick oil when it's cold. You might try a lighter oil or cut it with kerosine or diesel fuel and see if that helps.

I don't think those diaphrams like to pump thick oil when it's cold. You might try a lighter oil or cut it with kerosine or diesel fuel and see if that helps.

LOL, I was going to do just that, couple months ago. But I wuss-ed out and didn't do any cutting during the COLD months. (old geezer factor). :rolleyes: Now that it is middle of March, I guess I won't bother.

:cheers:
Gregg,

No it was a good story, never mind me, I just get to thinking too much sometimes and do take a interest in the history of these things.

Its frustrating to me to know something and not being able to remember it without haveing to second guess, look it up again stuff...

I think a good project for you Mark, would be to compile a list of dates, etc. to the best of your ability, LOL and I can't think of anyone better to do it! When different Poulan saws were built, or introduced, whatever. I know Acre's site is nice, but I have reservations about some of the info one can glean from there.

For an example, when someone asks me, when was the 3400 introduced, I say (around) 1980. But, I know there have been folks say they bought one in 1978 or 79. I know its difficult to pin down dates on some of these Poulans, cause they didn't put a date on them like some manufactures did. At least not until the Poulan Pro days, or so.

Makes me wonder if my 5200 is an early model, say 1975, because of the green top, smooth front case, and one screw top cover. The other 5200, that I been restoring has ribbed case, three screw black top cover etc. What kind of date would be on that ? Stuff like that intrigues me.:msp_unsure:

Another one that has bugged me, lol, I assumed the 3400 was the first in that midsize line, for several years, then they brought out the 3700 to go along with it. After several years they came out with the 4000. Did they replace the 3700 with the 4000? or did they produce both together? All kinds of stuff I ain't sure about.:dizzy:

Be a good project for ya, while your out there in your "man cave /office" while lubricating the thought process with a couple cold Miller High Lifes.:D

Gregg,

Thanks for any insight.

I'm interested in this oiler question, too. I've recently rehabbed a red and a grey Craftsman 3.7 and the oilers aren't working that well on them either. I've also taken one apart, but found nothing obvious wrong. Do they recommend 30 wt motor oil instead of Bar oil? I think I've heard that somewhere. The manual says lube the parts with 30 wt on re-assembly, but I'm not sure if that's what they want you to use in the tank, too.

All suggestions welcome!

If you're using that sticky bar oil it might help to fill it up next time with regular old motor oil. It seems to go through the older saws better than the sticky stuff. Just like in a car use thinner oil when the weather is cold.

I'm interested in this oiler question, too. I've recently rehabbed a red and a grey Craftsman 3.7 and the oilers aren't working that well on them either. I've also taken one apart, but found nothing obvious wrong. Do they recommend 30 wt motor oil instead of Bar oil? I think I've heard that somewhere. The manual says lube the parts with 30 wt on re-assembly, but I'm not sure if that's what they want you to use in the tank, too.

All suggestions welcome!

See below

I don't think those diaphrams like to pump thick oil when it's cold. You might try a lighter oil or cut it with kerosene or diesel fuel and see if that helps.

I just want to give a special thanks to bcorradi for this PP 365. He came on and offered it at really decent price and I was lucky enough to get it. I removed the gas tank for a good cleaning and removed the cylinder and installed a new ring. The saw was dirty and needed fuels lines but other wise in good shape. I took a 20" bar I had and changed it from .325 to a .375 sprocket nose for this saw. I also took a oregon round ground chisel and square ground it.

Thanks Again Brad. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

283930d1363027475-img_1552-jpg

283931d1363027478-img_1551-jpg

283932d1363027480-img_1555-jpg

283933d1363027483-img_1553-jpg

283934d1363027487-img_1554-jpg

I forgot to add Mike thanks for the penny suggestion it worked great for advancing the timing alittle. I did go counterclockwise.

View attachment 283930View attachment 283931View attachment 283932View attachment 283933View attachment 283934

Last edited:
I just want to give a special thanks to bcorradi for this PP 365. He came on and offered it at really decent price and I was lucky enough to get it. I removed the gas tank for a good cleaning and removed the cylinder and installed a new ring. The saw was dirty and needed fuels lines but other wise in good shape. I took a 20" bar I had and changed it from .325 to a .375 sprocket nose for this saw. I also took a oregon round ground chisel and square ground it.

Thanks Again Brad. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

283930d1363027475-img_1552-jpg

283931d1363027478-img_1551-jpg

283932d1363027480-img_1555-jpg

283933d1363027483-img_1553-jpg

283934d1363027487-img_1554-jpg

I forgot to add Mike thanks for the penny suggestion it worked great for advancing the timing alittle. I did go counterclockwise.

View attachment 283930View attachment 283931View attachment 283932View attachment 283933View attachment 283934

Another nice looking saw Roger. I like the pic of your gerbil's house as well.:laugh:

Congratulations Roger! I hope it's all you expect it to be.

(When you get bored you can always cut out a week or two to catalogue all your saws)

Tim

I have to get them all in one place first. I have about half of them in Wyoming and the other half in S Cal. That will happen though sometime this year.
Thanks for the congrats Tim.

Congratulations! :rock:

My invite to the party must have got lost in the mail.

No matter I'll hoist one up in your honor soon!

It was no big deal. Had alittle luncheon at work with some of the guys and then quietly slipped out. Just send me the retirement check.

Congratulations, I'm 67 and can't decide when I'm going to retire. Enjoy. Nice looking saw too!

Well I am only 62 and could not wait any longer. I was sick and tired of the Los Angeles traffic that I had to deal with everyday. I serviced Cat scanners and X-ray equipment and alot of it was in the LA county Hospitals and clinics. Plus the technology is constantly changing and I was not interested in it as much as I was before. I went out at a good time while I was still being productive and not dead weight.

Thanks for the congrats you guys.

I have to get them all in one place first. I have about half of them in Wyoming and the other half in S Cal. That will happen though sometime this year.
Thanks for the congrats Tim.

I'm not sure which to congratulate you for, retirement, or moving to wy from ca!

You're gonna like shooting at things there......

Well I am only 62 and could not wait any longer. I was sick and tired of the Los Angeles traffic that I had to deal with everyday. I serviced Cat scanners and X-ray equipment and alot of it was in the LA county Hospitals and clinics. Plus the technology is constantly changing and I was not interested in it as much as I was before. I went out at a good time while I was still being productive and not dead weight.

Sounds like you knew when to call it quits. Good for you. I think I'd go nuts if I had to commute in LA.
Congrats on the retirement, enjoy the saws.

I'm not sure which to congratulate you for, retirement, or moving to wy from ca!

You're gonna like shooting at things there......

I already have 3 gun safes there.

I am the same way about my guns as I am about chainsaws. I reload and have a chronograph and check the ballastic coefficients to calculate bullet drop.

Roger - nice work on that saw and it cleaned up nice. I'm happy to see it got to a good owner that appreciates them old poulans. Have a great retirement.

My craftsman aka poulan pro pp5020av is having a problem not sure what it is but it does it a few times during the day when i use it runs fine then it starts to bog and die requiring the choke be fully on and pulled 6-7 times before it will hit and run again.

not sure what is wrong i blew out the filter cleaned the spark plug and checked the fuel lines and filter and they were in great shape no problems they were also tygon, i tried adjusting the carb and it didn't change the problem. the problem is it runs great but it will bog and stall once or twice during use then it is back to normal.

I'm scratching my head at this one gentleman could it be the tank vent,gas cap, or the carb? :angry:

Back