Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChainLightning

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
A guy would have to spend one HELL of a lot of money to get a saw that runs and cuts better than that!!!

Mike

Thanks man! Yea I traded a guy a 295 Pro for it. He kept telling me how good that 3400 ran and when I got ready to leave, he mentioned that it started hard sometimes. So not thinking much of it, I took it anyways. Later that week I fired her up and I was surprised that it started on the first pull. I warmed her up and starting bucking up a log. It cut great for about 2 minutes then completely fell on its face when you put it in wood. I figured it was a adjustment problem so I messed with the jets and it still did the same thing no matter how far out or in you set the high. So I set it back to how the jests were and shut it off. 3 minutes later I went to start it again and it would not start. So after messing with the choke I finally got her going again. After it would cool down it would cut fine for 2 minutes then fall on its face again. So I adjusted, tried a new plug, still the same thing. Took some Sea Foam through her and still the same results. Pulled the carb off, cleaned her all up (looked clean) and slapped it all back together and did a quick adjustment. Cut 10 cookies straight and no issues. Then I made that video right after. Needless to say I am very very impressed with that saw! It puts my 455 Rancher to shame!

fossil
Thanks man! Yea I traded a guy a 295 Pro for it. He kept telling me how good that 3400 ran and when I got ready to leave, he mentioned that it started hard sometimes. So not thinking much of it, I took it anyways. Later that week I fired her up and I was surprised that it started on the first pull. I warmed her up and starting bucking up a log. It cut great for about 2 minutes then completely fell on its face when you put it in wood. I figured it was a adjustment problem so I messed with the jets and it still did the same thing no matter how far out or in you set the high. So I set it back to how the jests were and shut it off. 3 minutes later I went to start it again and it would not start. So after messing with the choke I finally got her going again. After it would cool down it would cut fine for 2 minutes then fall on its face again. So I adjusted, tried a new plug, still the same thing. Took some Sea Foam through her and still the same results. Pulled the carb off, cleaned her all up (looked clean) and slapped it all back together and did a quick adjustment. Cut 10 cookies straight and no issues. Then I made that video right after. Needless to say I am very very impressed with that saw! It puts my 455 Rancher to shame!

The 1975 - 1990 Poulans rarely dissapoint. They are kind of my benchmark saw against which my others saws are measured.
I need to get a 4000 and a 245A someday
I would say you made a very good trade.

barneyrb

barneyrb

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.

A good running 295 is no slouch for a 46cc saw but it won't run with that 3400 all day. I have all 3 of that series 3400, 3700, and 4000 and they truly are great old magnesium. I believe that Poulan was ahead of their time and other MAJOR brands were trying to catch up with them. For instance, when that series came out 1978 according to what I have found, all Stihl had in that class was the 041. The 034 and 038 were several years down the road. I could be wrong but that is what my research has found. Some opinions may vary........

fossil
A good running 295 is no slouch for a 46cc saw but it won't run with that 3400 all day. I have all 3 of that series 3400, 3700, and 4000 and they truly are great old magnesium. I believe that Poulan was ahead of their time and other MAJOR brands were trying to catch up with them. For instance, when that series came out 1978 according to what I have found, all Stihl had in that class was the 041. The 034 and 038 were several years down the road. I could be wrong but that is what my research has found. Some opinions may vary........

I can't comment on your dates but I agree with your statement "I believe that Poulan was ahead of their time and other MAJOR brands were trying to catch up with them"

I think Poulan considered these saws homeowner saws and their pro saws were the 4200 - 5200 series.

If you think some opinions may vary, post that up in the general chainsaw forum, put your hard hat on and watch the sparks fly.

Last edited:
ChainLightning

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
The 1975 - 1990 Poulans rarely dissapoint. They are kind of my benchmark saw against which my others saws are measured.
I need to get a 4000 and a 245A someday
I would say you made a very good trade.

I agree with ya there but I am gonna take that up a notch. I like the Poulan's from when they first started up until...we will say around1996 or 7 when they stopped making the 295 styled saws. I have owned a 2500 from 1990 and that 295 Pro was from 1994 and they both were outstanding saws for how much they costed new. That 295 had to of cut more than 50 chords in its life and I still got her ticking again with a new line and a carb cleaning. And there is no doubt in my mind that it could cut another 50. The 2500 went to a friend that we got going again with parts from a Craftsman and Sieraa saw that looked identical. When we got done it looked like a Christmas tree. And you guessed it...it ran like a brand new saw! View attachment 288099 View attachment 288102 View attachment 288104 He still has that 2500.
I still have two 245As but have never got them functional. One only has 50 on the comp scale and the other one someone stuck a screwdriver in between the oil tank halves and pried it all up. That one will run but is not good if the the oiler system will not work due to low pressure in the tank. One of these days it will be a good project to do a piston swap.

barneyrb

barneyrb

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I can't comment on your dates but I agree with your statement "I believe that Poulan was ahead of their time and other MAJOR brands were trying to catch up with them"

I think Poulan considered these saws homeowner saws and their pro saws were the 4200 - 5200 series.

If you think some opinions may vary, post that up in the general chainsaw forum, put your hard hat on and watch the sparks fly.

I have, I ain't skeered of nothin..........jus sayin.......

Flintknapper

Flintknapper

ArboristSite Operative
Even if you could I sure would regret driving the seals to the bottom if I had to try pick them out next time around.
The beer can adaptor my be difficult to cut. You had better empty several beer cans.

Oh, I absolutely agree. I wouldn't think of undertaking such a risky maneuver (seal replacement) without perfecting the technique first (beer can shield).

Always better to be safe than sorry. :msp_wink:

fossil
It seems to work.

This is my first ever pair of "twins" I just got them today. I think I need a poulanoscopy...I drove 220 miles to get these...but then again it is only 110 miles per saw. I think they will clean up well and seem to be pretty healthy.

Any idea what size they might be? There is nothing on them that I can find indicating size. I pulled a muffler and they are chome piston, aluminum cylinder saws one pumping 150 and the other around 155.

The guy that owned them said he got a lot of calls but everyone told him that sears saws are crap. Thank god for a world full of stupid people. He was glad to see tham go to a good home where they will be loved for what they are. If I can figure that out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Check the bore

3400 1.810"

3800 1.875

ChainLightning

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
It seems to work.

This is my first ever pair of "twins" I just got them today. I think I need a poulanoscopy...I drove 220 miles to get these...but then again it is only 110 miles per saw. I think they will clean up well and seem to be pretty healthy.

Any idea what size they might be? There is nothing on them that I can find indicating size. I pulled a muffler and they are chome piston, aluminum cylinder saws one pumping 150 and the other around 155.

The guy that owned them said he got a lot of calls but everyone told him that sears saws are crap. Thank god for a world full of stupid people. He was glad to see tham go to a good home where they will be loved for what they are. If I can figure that out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
That would be a 3400. Or it could be a 3700. Either way you ended up with with a fine pair of saws.

ChainLightning

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
It seems to work.

That would be a 3400. Or it could be a 3700, 3800. Either way you ended up with with a fine pair of saws.

cowroy

cowroy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well fellas I can't believe it but I lucked up and found another piece I needed to complete my NOS 335. When I got it, it was missing a clutch cover. Barneyrb put me on a clutch cover with a warning about the paint not matching, but it needed something so I ordered one. Well I was disappointed when it came not only about the color, but about the quality. It just felt cheap. All I could ever come up with on ebay was a new 365 cover. This saw deserved an original with the sticker. All I need now is a new air filter and a bar, bar nuts, and chain and it will be complete NOS.
DSCF1428_zpse8ca828e.jpg

DSCF1426_zps02b4e2dc.jpg

MS460WOODCHUCK

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
I vote the seals too.Similar issues had with the 4200.Cold it was working perfect.After a couple of cuts it didn't falling to idle imidiately after WOT and revving on one side.The clutch side seal had punctured the lip(someone attempted to replace the seal but with not much luck).

Was they scared or what:hmm3grin2orange:

ChainLightning

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
they are not exact twins one is a 358.356090 the other one is 358.356091. The 091 is wearing what looks like the origional bar, a 20 inch the other one is wearing a 16 inch oregon....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Right that 1 serial number difference throws it way off....:laugh: :D :hmm3grin2orange:. I use to have a Pair of Homelite 330s that were 1 number off as well. Usually people don't go to their local dealer and buy 2 saws at once, but some do I guess.

MS460WOODCHUCK

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite

Looks to be a very good running saw so don't take this the wrong way....it don't take much to put a 455 rancher to shame.

MS460WOODCHUCK

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well I did'nt take the time to work on the 4000 today...I ended up going to cut some wood and let me tell ya that it don't get much better than running a total 7 tanks ran through a couple of good running 245's and then about eight clear glass bottle millers to relieve the pain. Heck who needs a 4000 anyways when ya got 4 good running 245's and you're waiting on the mail man to bring another...:rock:

ChainLightning

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
Looks to be a very good running saw so don't take this the wrong way....it don't take much to put a 455 rancher to shame.

I sadly agree with ya on that one. I want to mod it very soon. I have been poking around on here reading about muffler mods for the strato styled systems, and I have not found much. Only thing I found was a member saying that it was not worth modding since it would only boost your power a pinch. So if anything I am gonna ditch the safety chain as soon as I wear it out. Then I want to pop off the limiters and tune it just a tad bit richer on the low, and much richer on the high. Does not have the torque I am use to....just a bunch of unnecessary speed. I think by doing that it should help out a little if anything.

Latest posts