Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, Thanks Steve, but if I paint a 8500, I'm afraid it would never leave. :D

Thanks a heap Mark! There was only the one. I'll look at it again and see if I can get this where it belongs. I know when I took the saw apart, I never saw one of these. The hole in it seems to be elongated, so can be adjusted. I guess one of them will be better than none..;)

Thanks for the help!

:cheers:
Gregg,

Gregg, I wouldnt worry much about it, those were not on the early saws at all. That saw of yours wont be worked everyday and abused so there not really needed for that application

A future project. Needs at least the clutch side main bearing. Compression is good and the piston/cylinder look good to match. Somehow, this saw has retained all 3 of the plastic buttons.

And a Homelite guy must have owned it in a previous life. You can't see it in the picture, but the recoil grip is a classic Homelite handle.

Chris B.

poulan71_2_zpsf5b6bf49.jpg

poulan71_1_zpsde2138b6.jpg

Spent the day tearing this thing completely down, cleaning, reassembling. PTO bearing came out in pieces as expected. The piston was in great shape and the cylinder looked like new, so I threw in new bearings, seals, and rings and slapped it back together. Unfortunately I'm stalled while I look for a new set of reeds. One was cracked almost clean thru the bolt holes, so into the garbage they go.

Unlike Mark, I have an oiler that cooperates and is pumping like crazy.

Chris B.

I'll have a chain waiting at the Iowa GTG.

Look closely and you can see the weld repair between the bar studs. The entire front of the saw broke off at one point.

Homelite grip here to stay.

Spent the day tearing this thing completely down, cleaning, reassembling. PTO bearing came out in pieces as expected. The piston was in great shape and the cylinder looked like new, so I threw in new bearings, seals, and rings and slapped it back together. Unfortunately I'm stalled while I look for a new set of reeds. One was cracked almost clean thru the bolt holes, so into the garbage they go.

Unlike Mark, I have an oiler that cooperates and is pumping like crazy.

Chris B.

I'll have a chain waiting at the Iowa GTG.

Look closely and you can see the weld repair between the bar studs. The entire front of the saw broke off at one point.

Homelite grip here to stay.

Your nuts the 47 oiler works fine.

Where is the air filter? LOL

Come on over, I got the reeds and a chain you can use.

Finished up the 5200 today, at least enough for pics.:) A few little odds & ends to do yet. The one bar plate was broken off at the bottom, so want to replace those. I just cut some foam and stuffed down there for the dust barrier, havn't got the weather stripping foam I want use yet. Need a spark plug, lol Of all things not to have. I just put a used one it for now. I need to get a S-clip also for this bar, I have one I can rob off of another saw. I just put the bar & chain on without for the pics. Probably won't try to run it for a while, let the paint cure a while.

5200paint048_zps92a864f8.jpg

5200paint029_zps3bd74802.jpg

5200paint030_zps405dd2f4.jpg

5200paint031_zpsce4c8321.jpg

5200paint033_zpsf48881fe.jpg

Gregg,

Finished up the 5200 today, at least enough for pics.:) A few little odds & ends to do yet. The one bar plate was broken off at the bottom, so want to replace those. I just cut some foam and stuffed down there for the dust barrier, havn't got the weather stripping foam I want use yet. Need a spark plug, lol Of all things not to have. I just put a used one it for now. I need to get a S-clip also for this bar, I have one I can rob off of another saw. I just put the bar & chain on without for the pics. Probably won't try to run it for a while, let the paint cure a while.

5200paint048_zps92a864f8.jpg

5200paint029_zps3bd74802.jpg

5200paint030_zps405dd2f4.jpg

5200paint031_zpsce4c8321.jpg

5200paint033_zpsf48881fe.jpg

Gregg,

Really nice Gregg.
I'm sure it would put the original finish to shame.

Now, where's Mike pics of the 655BP?

Gregg,

real nice man! Dont you love those acid trip countervibe decals? They always crack me up, like R. Crumb designed them....

The Dayton 4Z252 that 04titanse picked up for me last week arrived today. The saw looks to be in solid condition, it is one owner and came with the wrench and a bunch of literature in the original envelope from W.W. Grainger.

Dayton4Z2523_zps67f6497a.jpg

Dayton4Z2521_zps127a44b9.jpg

Dayton4Z2522_zpsc0d18a57.jpg

While the saw was clean (the bar plates are like new), I gave it a good cleaning. When I pulled the muffler this is what I saw:

Dayton4Z2524_zpsdf213987.jpg

Lots of carbon buildup and a bunch of small little nuts came out of the muffler.

Dayton4Z252mufflerjunk_zps6910600c.jpg

Got it back together and it has 160# of compression. Just proves it pays to take the time to look a saw over before cranking it. Now to find a bar for it...

Last edited:
Really nice looking, Gregg! Let me know when you're ready for the 8500...

Thanks Steve! I don't think I want to risk that job. Its one thing for somebody with no experience or skill to muck up my own saw. I'd be scared to try it with someone else's saw. Besides, its a lot of work. :msp_scared:

Awsome job Gregg and I do mean awsome.

Let me look for some bar plates, I know I got several new inners here, but not sure on the outers.

Its a good idea like you say to wait some time before gassing it up.

Thanks for the kind words, that means something coming from the Poulan resto King. :D

I can probably come up with some bar plates eventually, don't need to be sending yours.

Gregg,

The Dayton 4Z252 that 04titanse picked up for me last week arrived today. The saw looks to be in solid condition, it is one owner and came with the wrench and a bunch of literature in the original envelope from W.W. Grainger.

Got it back together and it has 160# of compression. Just proves it pays to take the time to look a saw over before cranking it. Now to find a bar for it...

Gary,

YOU SUCK!!!

Mike

Latest posts

Back