Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my gasket material today. Thanks David for getting it out so fast. I couldn't believe it got here so fast. USPS and Canada Post must have finally got it right.

Tim,
Glad you got it already. Lots of people badmouth USPS. but I've found them to be much more cost effective that other shippers and pretty reliable, too.
Now go get those saws oiling!
David

So putting countervibe 3400 back together. are the hi and low needles identical in the version of the walbro HDB ? I have not had a carb apart ever where the threads on the needles are the same and i haven't had one with the circular plate like this instead of welch plugs. seems a superior design.

qu6e3y5u.jpg

Brian

briantutt, looks like you're homemaking a carb gasket.
I think I'd take a close look at the 8:00 area of that one in progress.

Sometimes I'll punch the 2 mounting screw holes
and then drop the screws through them to hold the gasket stock in place on the carb.
Then use a finger nail to rub the material like you're making an embossing of the carb face.

sometimes you need to use something small and round
like the tip of an old style bic pen cap
to rub the vacuum port holes.
The pen tip will sort of push through the stock if you work it carefully
and makes it much easier to then hole punch the correct spot.

If you don't have one of those multi-tip hole punchers like you see in the leather work tools
treat yourself to one.
They are the trick for getting those small holes clean
and not taking out too much extra material and risking gasket squeezeout.

They have a flat anvil for the cutter tube to work against,
so you need to make sure that the little pipe is squared to it when you punch.
then while holding a steady pressure (just enough to cut things)
then while using the cutter pipe as the pivot point
gently and carefully swing the handles back and forth a couple wiggles
to get a clean slice of the stock.
voilla/wa-la! , you now have a nicely cut small hole with no tears or obstructions.

So putting countervibe 3400 back together. are the hi and low needles identical in the version of the walbro HDB ? I have not had a carb apart ever where the threads on the needles are the same and i haven't had one with the circular plate like this instead of welch plugs. seems a superior design.

qu6e3y5u.jpg

Brian

Brian that is the metering plate and I'm not so sure its a better design. The pin for the inlet needle lever is staked to that plate making it impossible to change the lever out. The lever itself is a bad design as well and if your not careful adjusting the lever height you will uncurl the hooks as I call them and the lever will not pivot on the pin right.

The H and L needles are indeed the same on those carbs.

Brian that is the metering plate and I'm not so sure its a better design. The pin for the inlet needle lever is staked to that plate making it impossible to change the lever out. The lever itself is a bad design as well and if your not careful adjusting the lever height you will uncurl the hooks as I call them and the lever will not pivot on the pin right.

The H and L needles are indeed the same on those carbs.

Good point on the lever Mark. hopefully i can just leave the height alone.

Also i am not the best freehand gasket cutter but i didn't find any available on that big action site...

Brian

Good point on the lever Mark. hopefully i can just leave the height alone.

Also i am not the best freehand gasket cutter but i didn't find any available on that big action site...

Brian

Make sure you use the right gasket under the metering plate when you out it back together. The carb kit comes with more then one, so match it up with the old one.

briantutt, looks like you're homemaking a carb gasket.
I think I'd take a close look at the 8:00 area of that one in progress.

Sometimes I'll punch the 2 mounting screw holes
and then drop the screws through them to hold the gasket stock in place on the carb.
Then use a finger nail to rub the material like you're making an embossing of the carb face.

sometimes you need to use something small and round
like the tip of an old style bic pen cap
to rub the vacuum port holes.
The pen tip will sort of push through the stock if you work it carefully
and makes it much easier to then hole punch the correct spot.

If you don't have one of those multi-tip hole punchers like you see in the leather work tools
treat yourself to one.
They are the trick for getting those small holes clean
and not taking out too much extra material and risking gasket squeezeout.

They have a flat anvil for the cutter tube to work against,
so you need to make sure that the little pipe is squared to it when you punch.
then while holding a steady pressure (just enough to cut things)
then while using the cutter pipe as the pivot point
gently and carefully swing the handles back and forth a couple wiggles
to get a clean slice of the stock.
voilla/wa-la! , you now have a nicely cut small hole with no tears or obstructions.

+1 on the method for pushing gasket against manifold to mark locations. i did the two bolt holes first and then used a tiny bit of oil on manifold face. pushed up against and rubbed a bit and could easily cut nice new gasket.

Brian

So now ipl shows a gasket between the carb and rubbery piece that sits out by the air filter. will the gasket i just happen to have with same bolt pattern work (in photo) if i rtv the two pulse holes not needed? the saw is missing this gasket and OF COURSE i have no more material.

by6yde9e.jpg

Edit- found some!

Brian

Last edited:
So now ipl shows a gasket between the carb and rubbery piece that sits out by the air filter. will the gasket i just happen to have with same bolt pattern work (in photo) if i rtv the two pulse holes not needed? the saw is missing this gasket and OF COURSE i have no more material.

by6yde9e.jpg

Edit- found some!

Brian

There's no gasket on the backside of the carb. There is a metal plate with an extruded hole to hold the rubber gasket in place.

On the IPL it's PN 24349, bracket, carburetor seal

Okay i get it. ipl is pretty blurry. no i have bigger issues. i screw the low speed needle in. feels like it touches so i go to back it up and it sounds like a squeaky door and i can't get it to back out! sprayed knocker loose in from each side. no improvement. now what do i do?

:mad:

Brian

Okay i get it. ipl is pretty blurry. no i have bigger issues. i screw the low speed needle in. feels like it touches so i go to back it up and it sounds like a squeaky door and i can't get it to back out! sprayed knocker loose in from each side. no improvement. now what do i do?

:mad:

Brian

I think on that carb when you take the plates off you can see the tips of the needles, you could lube from the inside too.

I think on that carb when you take the plates off you can see the tips of the needles, you could lube from the inside too.

Yep that's what i meant. after letting sit i was able to work it out but there is definitely a burr in the thread about half way down. i guess i need to chase it with a tap. does anyone know what thread the needles are?

Brian

Yep that's what i meant. after letting sit i was able to work it out but there is definitely a burr in the thread about half way down. i guess i need to chase it with a tap. does anyone know what thread the needles are?

Brian

I'm not quite sure what the thread is, but tread lightly and be careful or you will soon have a junk carb body.

I know it's mid summer and everyone is busy with summer things, I know I have but I think I have to report that I have not forgotten saws yet and may have another cool big lime green one in line to be here sometime in the next future.

Stephen , take it easy on that new hip. Hope I don't end up having to get a new shoulder any time soon.

I'm not quite sure what the thread is, but tread lightly and be careful or you will soon have a junk carb body.

No kidding! i managed to sneak it out and for the record the needles gauge at 6-40 for the thread so now i am going to chase the body gently.

Brian

I know it's mid summer and everyone is busy with summer things, I know I have but I think I have to report that I have not forgotten saws yet and may have another cool big lime green one in line to be here sometime in the next future.

Stephen , take it easy on that new hip. Hope I don't end up having to get a new shoulder any time soon.

If you end up having to get saws with the ez start system let me know what you are going to do with the good ones:yoyo:

thanks Mark. I am doing a M.M. and a port job on the walker, replaced the rear slides with wheels, trued and balanced wheels, set caster and camber for max grip in the corners......thinking of led headlights and mp3 player addition and a scabbard mount for the Poulan Micro for trail maintenance, just need to get a set of off road wheels for it and maybe cross brace the frame. and of course a beverage holder.....:hmm3grin2orange:

Check out list price on this bad boy Trionic Veloped Trek All-Terrain Walker | Elderluxe

Back