Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
machinisttx

machinisttx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Picked up another little poulan today, in craftsman colors. It's a 2.1, which I'm guessing is a 25DA(no S). Just got home with it a few minutes ago.

3000 FPS

3000 FPS

Dirt Roads are fine by me.
. AS Supporting Member.
Well on the subject of small saws, here is one I got about 6 months ago or so. This is a Poulan 205 which is very similar to the 2000 but has a chrome cylinder and is 38cc. I have not seen very many of this model like the 2000 which seems to be very common. This one had a small chip caught in the reed valve causing it to shoot a spray straight up out of the carb.
Saw is running great now.

308861d1376192661-002-jpg

308862d1376192672-003-jpg

View attachment 308861View attachment 308862

Last edited:
Arrowhead

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
I agree, P62/65 would have to be a very late model due to paint color. Someone has put a starter cover off a Quickie chop saw (painted over the blue). Other than that it should be a great starting point for a "Resto-mod" saw.........been thinking about this one a long time.

If you need any parts, let me know.

Eccentric

Eccentric

Mister Wizard
Picked up another little poulan today, in craftsman colors. It's a 2.1, which I'm guessing is a 25DA(no S). Just got home with it a few minutes ago.

000_0178.jpg

Does it look like the saw on the right? That'd be a 25DA as you guessed. If it looks more like Roger's PP 205 pictured two posts above (but red) then it's a Micro series saw. My guess is it's a 25DA, as I don't recall any 2.1 branded Sears Micro saws. Just 2.0 (2000) or 2.3 (2300).

Showme

Showme

ArboristSite Guru
Well on the subject of small saws, here is one I got about 6 months ago or so. This is a Poulan 205 which is very similar to the 2000 but has a chrome cylinder and is 38cc. I have not seen very many of this model like the 2000 which seems to be very common. This one had a small chip caught in the reed valve causing it to shoot a spray straight up out of the carb.
Saw is running great now.

308861d1376192661-002-jpg

308862d1376192672-003-jpg

View attachment 308861View attachment 308862

Really nice looking little saw.

Modifiedmark
Does it look like the saw on the right? That'd be a 25DA as you guessed. If it looks more like Roger's PP 205 pictured two posts above (but red) then it's a Micro series saw. My guess is it's a 25DA, as I don't recall any 2.1 branded Sears Micro saws. Just 2.0 (2000) or 2.3 (2300).

I was thinking of you the other day when I picked up a Craftsman 2.1 power sharp model. Its really nice shape, still has the PS stuff and chain on it. Problem is it appears to have been straight gassed very early in its life.

Thought if I ever get time I would dig around in my stash to see if I had a P/C for it. Or I could just send it to the left coast... :msp_wink:

PogoInTheWoods

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
. AS Supporting Member.
On the subject of 2.0's (the plastic 358.355xxx ones) how many variations were there? I just got a couple in a package deal (in Craftsman colors) that are 355.161 and 355.162 and now I'm curious about my other ones as well. (I have a few more.)

edit: Just found a 355.140 in Craftsman colors, too.

Turns out I have around a dozen of these things in various colors and sizes!:dizzy:

' nuther edit: Just found two more. Maybe I oughta check under the couch cushions while I'm at it?

Last edited:
machinisttx

machinisttx

Addicted to ArboristSite
000_0178.jpg

Yep, looks like yours, except the decal says 2.1/14" instead of 2.1A. I knew it wasn't a micro, major differences between the micro's and the 25 series. It's missing very little paint and still has the cork gasket/seal on the carb box. Sears model # is 358.352110. I pulled the muffler, P&C look good. Didn't put my compression tester on it, but it doesn't pass a hang test. I think it still has enough compression to run though.

I'm wondering why some of these saws had a sliding on/off switch and others have the toggle switch. I'm guessing it's an early versus late model thing?

hemiyota

hemiyota

ArboristSite Operative
8500 throttle wire

Does anyone have a spare 8500 series throttle wire? I was cleaning up the last 8500 I got, and noticed that the wire was bent up. Took it off and straightened it out, like it was supposed to be, but it was too long. I held it up to a good one and it was about 1/4" too long. Tried to re-bend it, but it ended up breaking. Are the 5200 wires longer or shorter?

Eccentric

Eccentric

Mister Wizard
I was thinking of you the other day when I picked up a Craftsman 2.1 power sharp model. Its really nice shape, still has the PS stuff and chain on it. Problem is it appears to have been straight gassed very early in its life.

Thought if I ever get time I would dig around in my stash to see if I had a P/C for it. Or I could just send it to the left coast... :msp_wink:

Good score Mark. What color is it? I've seen red, yellow (Explorer versions), and blue Craftsman XXV siries saws. Tim found a NICE red 2.3PS/VL for me north of the border. He's planning on bringing it with him to the Poulan GTG and shipping it to me in the US to save me some shipping $$$. What a guy.:msp_thumbup:

Yep, looks like yours, except the decal says 2.1/14" instead of 2.1A. I knew it wasn't a micro, major differences between the micro's and the 25 series. It's missing very little paint and still has the cork gasket/seal on the carb box. Sears model # is 358.352110. I pulled the muffler, P&C look good. Didn't put my compression tester on it, but it doesn't pass a hang test. I think it still has enough compression to run though.

I'm wondering why some of these saws had a sliding on/off switch and others have the toggle switch. I'm guessing it's an early versus late model thing?

That's the ticket. Early saws had the sliding switch.

Modifiedmark

It mostly is a early/late thing but I can tell you this. If you see a sliding switch it surely means its a 2.1 saw.

There were some later 2.1 saws that had the toggle switch but I don't think I have ever, ever seen a 2.3 saw with a sliding switch.

Modifiedmark
Does anyone have a spare 8500 series throttle wire? I was cleaning up the last 8500 I got, and noticed that the wire was bent up. Took it off and straightened it out, like it was supposed to be, but it was too long. I held it up to a good one and it was about 1/4" too long. Tried to re-bend it, but it ended up breaking. Are the 5200 wires longer or shorter?

5200/4200 had a shorter throttle wire and choke pull. All the later versions with the extended fuel tank had the longer wire and choke pulls. I had a extra throttle wire but sent it to a guy in need already...

Modifiedmark
Good score Mark. What color is it? I've seen red, yellow (Explorer versions), and blue Craftsman XXV siries saws. Tim found a NICE red 2.3PS/VL for me north of the border. He's planning on bringing it with him to the Poulan GTG and shipping it to me in the US to save me some shipping $$$. What a guy.:msp_thumbup:

That's the ticket. Early saws had the sliding switch.

Aaron, its a red 2.1 PS. You want me to give it to Tim at the GTG and ship em both together? I might have a P/C for it if I look hard enough.

I got 2 many irons in the fire to be that interested in these anymore especially since I have a bunch of runners already....

Eccentric

Eccentric

Mister Wizard
Aaron, its a red 2.1 PS. You want me to give it to Tim at the GTG and ship em both together? I might have a P/C for it if I look hard enough.

I got 2 many irons in the fire to be that interested in these anymore especially since I have a bunch of runners already....

Hmmmmm. I really don't need another one either. Dang CAD. Lemme figure out how much more the shipping will be with two XXV's in the box vs one....

hemiyota

hemiyota

ArboristSite Operative
5200/4200 had a shorter throttle wire and choke pull. All the later versions with the extended fuel tank had the longer wire and choke pulls. I had a extra throttle wire but sent it to a guy in need already...

I wonder what the longer wire was for? I checked all of the IPLs and they're only two listed. Maybe this one was made wrong at the factory. Everything was identical, to the other 8500 wire, except that the part that goes to the trigger was longer.........

Latest posts