Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You sure it's points bad? Mine were coils Scott at ChainsawR had them both. Bought my last 2 sets there to send saws down the road later.

yes and no points are fine but the laminated block that ride on the ecentric is cracked so they dont open up it just flexes at the crack..a gonner..but has kept it in very unused condition.

Here's my 5200 that I picked up from a CL seller yesterday. Was a bit of a drive, but worth it. Biggest issue is the broken muffler bolt in the cylinder and his attempts at 'fixing' it. Thankfully, not much done that can't be undone.

Cases are in good shape. AV mounts are sketchy. AF looks to still have flocking (and I have a an NOS filter to use). Has a full wrap that's in good shape. Was welded at some point by someone that knows what they were doing. Has a good rim drive drum. Missing a few screws and such. Overall it's in pretty good shape, and well worth what I paid for it (and the cost of gas for the round trip).

Came to me with an older 3 rivet 28-29" Oregon large Husqvarna (H009) mount bar. Bar pad has some chain rash on the bottom edge from having that wrong bar on the saw. Same with the bar plates. Has the original 'spinning washer' bar nuts. I'll save the H009 mount bar for a Husky (or trade it off), and will put a 34" Windsor UXL mount or 36" Oregon sprocket nose D176 mount bar on the 5200. They've been waiting for a 5200/5400/8500 to go on.

Piston has a few fresh light scratches. Looking through the spark plug hole, the plating inside the jug on the exhaust side looks OK. Will know more when I tear it down. That piston and cylinder will probably clean up and could be used with a set of rings. I'll probably keep 'em as a spare set, as I have a very good 5200 P/C on a parts saw. It also has the cast iron muffler heat shield/bumper plate. The muffler diffuser/spark arrester carrier is buggered up, but I think I have a good one on a parts saw.

Between this 5200, the parts 5200, and a parts 4200 that I have, I think I'll be able to make a really nice runner with some spares. Hopefully I have six good AV mounts between them all. I'm not going to run this saw at all before I tear it down, clean it up, and replace all the seals and gaskets. The 4200 P/C look good. May sell/trade those away to someone that needs 'em.

Here's some shots of the 'new' saw, along with the 5200 and 4200 parts saws that I already had.

CAM00606_zps65880b75.jpg

CAM00604_zps5bcd79c1.jpg

CAM00603_zps1f488685.jpg

CAM00607_zpsb599863a.jpg

CAM00616_zps8a4ecdbd.jpg

CAM00614_zpsceb6fd78.jpg

CAM00608_zps7b865670.jpg

CAM00609_zps6d0dd770.jpg

Nice score on the saws Aaron.

What I ment was...If the previous owner replaced the top end and whatnot with parts from a 8510 concrete saw, maybe those are different and thats why things ain't quite right.:confused:

I am not familiar with the 8510. Don't know what might have been different on those. You no doubt have a 8500. But you said the PO put a 8510 cover on it, and who knows what else might have been "modified" , made, changed.

Hope ya get it straightened out though. I only WISH I had a 8500 to play with, or work on...:msp_sad:

:cheers:
Gregg,

My guess is that somebody hand made a throttle link when they rebuilt that saw with the 8510 top end............and they made it too long.

Love them saws Aaron, They are an easy, enjoyable series to work on too. I think that bigger Poulan series is the only ones that really peak my interest any more. Well, maybe the 655bp would be an exception. :D I been working on some large trees lately, and the 4200 & 5200 have been getting a good work out.

Gregg,

They are indeed easy saws to work on. I changed the crank seals on my 4900 recently. Easiest saw to change seals on for me so far. Only difficult thing was that the flywheel key did not want to come out. Spent some time (more time than I spent on the whole job) fighting it when I could have just left it in there (as it's far enough down the taper that the seal will clear it).

Only thing I'm not looking forward to on this 5200 build is having to cut a new crankcase gasket if I end up splitting it to replace bearings. I hate cutting crankcase gaskets, and hope I find a good NOS one instead....:msp_thumbup:

I just took my very first crack at spray painting with a gun.
I think I will be getting lessons from a friend up the street. The quality was OK for my first time.......if I was painting a garbage can.

I know what your saying Tim! I did the same thing this spring on a 5200. My first attempt with a HVLP paint gun. Didn't help my cause any that the morning I tried painting (outside), the wind suddenly decided it needed to blow. :mad: Turned out decent, but not great. I'm sure I can do better next time I try it. lol I'm sure your 4200 will look great!! Anxiously awaiting the PICS! :msp_thumbup:

Gregg,

Only thing I'm not looking forward to on this 5200 build is having to cut a new crankcase gasket if I end up splitting it to replace bearings. I hate cutting crankcase gaskets, and hope I find a good NOS one instead....:msp_thumbup:

Yes I hear that. I was lucky I bought a couple of them gasket sets for that series of saws several years ago, thinking I would need them someday. Well, I have used them both up now. So the next refurb I do will need to make gaskets also. :msp_ohmy: Making a cyl. gasket ain't to bad. But, that crankcase gasket will probably give me nightmares, or at the very least I'll invent a few new swear words.:cry:

Gregg,

I just took my very first crack at spray painting with a gun.
I think I will be getting lessons from a friend up the street. The quality was OK for my first time.......if I was painting a garbage can.

I've been wanting to learn how to spray paint too. I would know you'd think at my age.

Last edited:
Yes I hear that. I was lucky I bought a couple of them gasket sets for that series of saws several years ago, thinking I would need them someday. Well, I have used them both up now. So the next refurb I do will need to make gaskets also. :msp_ohmy: Making a cyl. gasket ain't to bad. But, that crankcase gasket will probably give me nightmares, or at the very least I'll invent a few new swear words.:cry:

Gregg,

My guess is that somebody hand made a throttle link when they rebuilt that saw with the 8510 top end............and they made it too long.

They are indeed easy saws to work on. I changed the crank seals on my 4900 recently. Easiest saw to change seals on for me so far. Only difficult thing was that the flywheel key did not want to come out. Spent some time (more time than I spent on the whole job) fighting it when I could have just left it in there (as it's far enough down the taper that the seal will clear it).

Well at least out good friend Mark provided some templates so it shouldn't be too tough.

What I ment was...If the previous owner replaced the top end and whatnot with parts from a 8510 concrete saw, maybe those are different and thats why things ain't quite right.:confused:

I am not familiar with the 8510. Don't know what might have been different on those. You no doubt have a 8500. But you said the PO put a 8510 cover on it, and who knows what else might have been "modified" , made, changed.

Hope ya get it straightened out though. I only WISH I had a 8500 to play with, or work on...:msp_sad:

Gregg,

He put a NEW top end on the saw. The part numbers for the wire, are the same for the 8500 and 8510. You could tell that it was a factory wire.......NOBODY could make those little bends that nicely!!! Just gonna be one of those little mysteries...............

Fixed for accuracy...

Well at least out good friend Mark provided some templates so it shouldn't be as tough.

I'm not much of an 'arts and crafts' person........................so that crankcase gasket will still be a challenge. Maybe I can convince my wife or oldest daughter to cut it out for me.....:msp_thumbup:

It is good to know that there are people crazy as I am. I have spent more on fuel to pick up saws than the saws cost. A gifted 4200 is great.
I ran a 4200 for many years.:hmm3grin2orange:

Yep. An 'outside' person would think I was nuts to spend half a day driving to get a 30+ year old chainsaw. The amazing thing is that my better half did NOT say I was crazy. Maybe she was thinking it though.......:jester:

Yep. An 'outside' person would think I was nuts to spend half a day driving to get a 30+ year old chainsaw. The amazing thing is that my better half did NOT say I was crazy. Maybe she was thinking it though.......:jester:

Who cares what they think as long as they keep that trap shut! :givebeer:

Wait, did I say that out loud???

Just joking, don't show her that. LOL

That 5200 is the latest Poulan that supports my theory regarding a strange CL phenomenon here;

With one exception (a PP330), every desirable Poulan listed in my CL area MUST be approximately 3 hours drive from my house. It's some kind of unwritten law.

So far, that's been a NICE late green/black 4000 (that was listed right after I got my 4000 from Joe), a 245A, a grey Craftsman 3.7 labeled 3800, a SWEET late production (black label) Dayton badged 245SA, a red Craftsman 3.7 branded 3700 or 3800, this 5200, and a 5400. Think I'm forgetting a couple. Most have been too far to justify the drive (when gas cost is combined with the purchase price).

The only 'close' ones have been the PP330 that I fixed up and traded to Joe for the 4000, an overpriced, whipped looking 3400, several overpriced Micros, the usual modern clamshells (most grossly overpriced), and a few XXV variants. The PP330 is the only one close (and reasonably priced) enough to go get. Then there was that one PP655 that was listed for $1000 near me last year. Dream on guy...:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back