Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PoulanPro4551_zps56838eb4.jpg

If you need any parts... lemme know, I have a bunch. The P45/PP455 is one of my favs.
I can't tell from the pic where it's broke, but I believe the metal part is stamped steel and weldable.

Ed,

I appreciate it, I need to check out the recoil issue and see if I have another brake arm. It is metal and is broken off almost level with the top of the clutch cover.

Gary

Been looking for one of these for a while to go with my 655 and found one on CL in Connecticut last week. The seller was agreeable to shipping and had it priced right, even after giving him $40 for mailing and his trouble I am in it for less than a Benjamin. Looks like the brake handle was broken in transit, this is how it arrived.

PoulanPro4557_zps2e2df762.jpg

I have the handlebar, spike, bar and chain but they are not pictured.

Nice find, Gary.
RANT on.
Some people are totally :censored:ing clueless. In the past couple of months I've received chainsaws that were crammed--with little or no padding--into boxes that were just barely big enough. Both boxes had tears in the fold where the bar went through. One bar was lost, one was still attached to the saw (not a bright way to ship a saw, but at least the saw wasn't damaged).
RANT off.

Not a bad find Gary, looks pretty good.

Good news for me, I guess after the Dr's visit yesterday, I wont have to set on the sidelines with Tim at the Poulan GTG!

No surgery for now.

:clap:!

gonna clean oil pump and replace oil line on my new craftsman 2.1A (S25DA???) and need to know what size the oil line is. per mark's tutorial the fuel line is 1/8" x 3/16" and is designate 8133 in the IPL. the oil line is designated as 8132. is it the same size (different length)? also, can tygon be used for the oiler?

gonna clean oil pump and replace oil line on my new craftsman 2.1A (S25DA???) and need to know what size the oil line is. per mark's tutorial the fuel line is 1/8" x 3/16" and is designate 8133 in the IPL. the oil line is designated as 8132. is it the same size (different length)? also, can tygon be used for the oiler?

yes you can use the same line as the fuel line if you want to.

Going to pick up this little gem on saturday. I think its a 2900? Apparently the coil went for a dump after the warranty ran out but before a full tank of gas went through it. So they chucked it in the shed.

$(KGrHqRHJDoFITKLOMCsBSJN0SsSEg~~48_20.JPG

$T2eC16Z,!)QFIcoFKQskBSJN0Yvtb!~~48_20.JPG

yes you can use the same line as the fuel line if you want to.

thanks mark.

this thing starts and runs okay and has decent compression but smokes worse than any of my other saws. needles adjusted to where it shouldn't but it still does. got any ideas or is it just the saws' nature?

Last edited:
thanks mark.

this thing starts and runs okay and has decent compression but smokes worse than any of my other saws. needles adjusted to where it shouldn't but it still does. got any ideas or is it just the saws' nature?

Probably ought to be looking at crank seals.

i was afraid you were gonna say somethin like that

Just replace 'em Jerry. They're not hard to do on these saws. 530019051 from Husqvarna/Poulan. SKF/CR 5510 from your bearing house.

OK fess up.........................who got it???

Poulan 8500 Chainsaw | eBay

Looks like it'll REALLY clean up nice. Paint looks almost 100% intact under the grime. The unknown piston/cylinder condition (just said 'started up and idled' in the description) kept me from bidding anymore once it started going up. By the looks of the rest of the saw, it probably would've been worth the risk. Oh well. I don't have to sleep on the couch tonight.....:D

Last edited:
I just got back from the hospital and the incision is healing well and I have a cast on now instead of a splint which makes me a little more stable on my crutches. I will be getting an adjustable boot on in three weeks so they can start cranking some tension on the tendon which should be a real treat.
I will still be in a boot when I come to the GTG and may be able to put some weight on the foot by Oct 12 so I will hopefully be able to try a few saws out. I will only be able to bring one saw as I won't be able to lift much by the time the GTG rolls around. Maybe I could hobble around and take a bunch of pics and videos if anyone wants to give up their cameras while they're cutting. That way I could at least be able to make some kind of contribution.
Still looking forward to it and meeting a bunch of you. The wife is going to try to find a motel / hotel in Findlay where they can carry my luggage in for me.
All I can do now is sit and be a couch potato and grow a beard.

What mix ratio is in the saw? May be something as simple as too much oil. Would be nice if so.

50:1
haven't cleaned the muff out yet. not real dirty but still....
need to replace seals anyway.

also, been thinking about seals. its beyond me how seals could cause it to smoke. can someone enlighten me?

Poulan 8500 Chainsaw | eBay

Looks like it'll REALLY clean up nice. Paint looks almost 100% intact under the grime. The unknown piston/cylinder condition (just said 'started up and idled' in the description) kept me from bidding anymore once it started going up. By the looks of the rest of the saw, it probably would've been worth the risk. Oh well. I don't have to sleep on the couch tonight.....:D

Aaron, I must confess, that saw will not be headed to my home. I promised someone that wanted it I would not bid on it and I held up my end of the bargain, the question is did he do what he said he would......

Back