Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Poulan Dealer Estate Auction in Rochester, IN
This Saturday the 13 starting at 10:00 >> Go to manitourealty.com to see a sale bill.
Poulan signs, Wagon load of Poulan chain saws, Poulan Books and Literature.
Just a heads up for you guys. Feel free to call me if I can answer any questions. 574-223-5325

I found a local listing here in Utah https://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/tls/4647886459.html I thought based off of the one grainy photo it was a 2800, but alas Eccentric (Aaron) informed me it was in fact a 3800.
The Fuel Plug O'ring was rolled on one side, which appears to have caused over tightening resulting in cracked threads on the tank lip. It must have happened in the first couple of tanks, because after a cursory cleaning this is what the saw looks like.

3800-2.jpg 3800-4.jpg 3800-1.jpg 3800-3.jpg

I found a local listing here in Utah https://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/tls/4647886459.html I thought based off of the one grainy photo it was a 2800, but alas Eccentric (Aaron) informed me it was in fact a 3800.
The Fuel Plug O'ring was rolled on one side, which appears to have caused over tightening resulting in cracked threads on the tank lip. It must have happened in the first couple of tanks, because after a cursory cleaning this is what the saw looks like.

View attachment 367785 View attachment 367786 View attachment 367787 View attachment 367788

I've seen a few of those cracked tanks. Ham fisted or used a tool to crank the cap on. Lucky for you the PO did that. Nice saw.

View attachment 367785 View attachment 367786 View attachment 367787 View attachment 367788
Saws in great shape

There's heck of a bidding war going on - at $187 right now. I bet in the last minute it skyrockets.
WOW someone might have got a deal - it stopped at the $187. I did not like he 110 compression on the listing-- it all depends if the guy knew what he was doing when doing the testing though.

Well it is getting close to that time o year again. Any talk about the Poulan Lovers GTG? I sure do hope there is one this year. Bradley has been asking about it and I'm thinking I will be bringing my younger son Jacob this year also...I mean heck he is 10 and loves saws also so I can't deprive him any longer.

Well it is getting close to that time o year again. Any talk about the Poulan Lovers GTG? I sure do hope there is one this year. Bradley has been asking about it and I'm thinking I will be bringing my younger son Jacob this year also...I mean heck he is 10 and loves saws also so I can't deprive him any longer.

Where's our buddy Gregg been hiding at anyhow? Haven't seen him on in a while.

Hey fellas, a buddy of mine stopped by here to check out his generator I fixed for him and had his co-worker with him. I was tinkering with my 3400 and it was sitting next to his gen. He walked up and said, "I haven't seen another one of them Poo-lan chainsaws in years." I quickly corrected him on the pronunciation, and he proceeded to tell me he had his dad's 4400, but hasn't ran in years. Dad said it didn't have a spark, prob the coil. Told him to bring it by and I'd check it out since my buddy told him I was a Poulan guy. My question is, what are the chances that it's actually got a bad coil? Are there other things on those saws that would cause a no spark issue aside from the "obvious" bad switch, or bad ground connection? Is there a 2-piece ignition on those? Haven't got my hands on it yet....just trying to get some ideas before I do. I know actual coils for that series of saw are about like rocking horse poop. 'Preciate any help/input you guys may have.

Hey fellas, a buddy of mine stopped by here to check out his generator I fixed for him and had his co-worker with him. I was tinkering with my 3400 and it was sitting next to his gen. He walked up and said, "I haven't seen another one of them Poo-lan chainsaws in years." I quickly corrected him on the pronunciation, and he proceeded to tell me he had his dad's 4400, but hasn't ran in years. Dad said it didn't have a spark, prob the coil. Told him to bring it by and I'd check it out since my buddy told him I was a Poulan guy. My question is, what are the chances that it's actually got a bad coil? Are there other things on those saws that would cause a no spark issue aside from the "obvious" bad switch, or bad ground connection? Is there a 2-piece ignition on those? Haven't got my hands on it yet....just trying to get some ideas before I do. I know actual coils for that series of saw are about like rocking horse poop. 'Preciate any help/input you guys may have.
Yep. Two piece ignition. I tihnk you have the faults covered plus the high tension lead connection to the coil and the plug itself.

10-4...yeah, there are those too. I honestly have a feeling it's not the coil itself. Sometimes people just automatically assume it's the coil when there isn't a spark and let it sit. I'd love to get it running for him again since it was his dad's and the only saw he can remember him using for years. Kinda bring back the childhood memories. Kinda like my dad's 5200 sitting in my basement....that I need to fix. :) Thanks for the quick response.

I have a funny for ya. Since I have not been to a GTG I have been watching to see if there is going to be one anytime soon that is within a couple hours. I tell my wife on the way back from camp after running a few saws that I may be heading over to Ohio or up towards Erie in the fall. Here's her reply - " So you guys go strutting your stuff caring your chainsaws in holsters or on slings?" I thought that was a good one liner. Hey might not be a bad idea - chainsaw in a holster. :dizzy:

I have a funny for ya. Since I have not been to a GTG I have been watching to see if there is going to be one anytime soon that is within a couple hours. I tell my wife on the way back from camp after running a few saws that I may be heading over to Ohio or up towards Erie in the fall. Here's her reply - " So you guys go strutting your stuff caring your chainsaws in holsters or on slings?" I thought that was a good one liner. Hey might not be a bad idea - chainsaw in a holster. :dizzy:
Pretty good idea. Think she knows you pretty well.

Pretty funny.

Latest posts

Back