Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought 2 and a member here sent me one for the cost of shipping. They have cut a lot of wood in the hands of people who abuse them to death. They have no AV, not a problem for the occasional use, and they cut faster than a hand saw. If you can tune a saw they can cut well. If you can mod a saw, they can cut great. They are marketed to people who know nothing about chainsaws. Many die an early death.
Right you are. The 4018 saws are strato saws. I prefer the 2375 non strato, but either one will cut wood real well.

I bought 2 and a member here sent me one for the cost of shipping. They have cut a lot of wood in the hands of people who abuse them to death. They have no AV, not a problem for the occasional use, and they cut faster than a hand saw. If you can tune a saw they can cut well. If you can mod a saw, they can cut great. They are marketed to people who know nothing about chainsaws. Many die an early death. That doesn't make them a bad saw, just an abused saw.
Never knew people modded Wild Things. See them for sale all the time on CL, may pick a few up.

Generally they open up the muffler. I had one ported that I swear would cut with a 60cc saw. Sold it recently. Course one doesn't know how long they will last.

Wish I could open up the muffler on my Makita. Don't even know how to take the crimp off lol.

So maybe that's the difference with the newer Poulans. They cut good but aren't as robust as the Poulans of old.

BTW, how are your little Poulans as limbers? I may need something lighter than this 6421 for the small stuff

Tell you what. I have a 3400 parts saw w/o the rear handle(long block???). I'll send you the parts to assemble the saw(may be missing some) for the cost of mailing. You can scrounge around for any missing parts and assemble it. I believe I even replaced the crank seals.

Holidays over. If you still want saw send me your address.

Wish I could open up the muffler on my Makita. Don't even know how to take the crimp off lol.

So maybe that's the difference with the newer Poulans. They cut good but aren't as robust as the Poulans of old.

BTW, how are your little Poulans as limbers? I may need something lighter than this 6421 for the small stuff

If you want a good limber you couldn't go wrong with a 2700 or 2800. Both essentially the same saw. The S25DA are also good saws, ;lots of

Look for a 2700 or 2800. Essentially the same saws and little brothers of the 3000 and 3300. If you don't mind bending a S25DA or CVA will do the trick.

If you want a good limber you couldn't go wrong with a 2700 or 2800. Both essentially the same saw. The S25DA are also good saws, ;lots of

Look for a 2700 or 2800. Essentially the same saws and little brothers of the 3000 and 3300. If you don't mind bending a S25DA or CVA will do the trick.

Good point. Guess I need to think about a really short bar. I'll keep my eyes open for a 2700-2800. Thanks

A couple of saws I been using lately for " light duty" work, limbing etc. are the PP295 & Partner 500. :)
They are fairly light saws, but I use a 20" on the 295 and 18" on Partner. I just like the reach better. I know it don't sound like much difference when compared to a S25 with a 14" or 16", but it does to me. LOL They work great too!, but I just like the added reach.

PP295013_zps700b2130.jpg

PoulanGTG051_zpsabe95cbc.jpg

Truth be told, I use the PP380 quite a bit for lighter work. Its a tad heavier maybe, but it don't lack for power, when ya need it. ;)
3400380009_zpse1554d6f.jpg

Gregg,

Sorry this is a little off topic, but had to share these pics. :yes: This is my sisters BF Kevin, some of you know him. He is at all the Poulan GTG's we have had, and helps me alot. Also the guy that I cut wood with, that uses all the Wildthings. LOL Its funny how some folks opinions change some over time. I put together a 4000 for him to use while back. Yes he now likes bigger saws also..LOL

I generally just wait for a buck while deer hunting. If i get one fine, if not, just wait till next year. He will shoot the first doe that comes by. LOL He always is telling me, "Ya can't eat horns". Well he got this dandy on opening day of our firearms season this year. Needless to say his opinion of horns changed..:laugh: Yes, it is at the taxidermist now..LOL
16 points and a beauty that he will enjoy looking at on the wall, long after the meat is ate and long gone.

Wood2014044_zpsf5e547f2.jpg

Wood2014052_zps5bc292d1.jpg

Wood2014053_zpsed6b158b.jpg

Gregg,

This is what Dad got from "Santa", a like new S25DA in the case. Due to setting for years, just took a new fuel line, carb kit, gas cap duckbill, and an oiler diaphragm (thanks again Tom C!) to get her running and auto oiling.

image.jpg

Dad was suprized how torquey these little saws run, and he liked the flashback to the 80s. I need to upgrade it to 3/8" lo pro, and it should cut faster than the 1/4".

Sorry this is a little off topic, but had to share these pics. :yes: This is my sisters BF Kevin, some of you know him. He is at all the Poulan GTG's we have had, and helps me alot. Also the guy that I cut wood with, that uses all the Wildthings. LOL Its funny how some folks opinions change some over time. I put together a 4000 for him to use while back. Yes he now likes bigger saws also..LOL

I generally just wait for a buck while deer hunting. If i get one fine, if not, just wait till next year. He will shoot the first doe that comes by. LOL He always is telling me, "Ya can't eat horns". Well he got this dandy on opening day of our firearms season this year. Needless to say his opinion of horns changed..:laugh: Yes, it is at the taxidermist now..LOL
16 points and a beauty that he will enjoy looking at on the wall, long after the meat is ate and long gone.

Gregg,

WOW

Gregg,
that is an Ohio Giant, corn feed!!

This is what Dad got from "Santa", a like new S25DA in the case. Due to setting for years, just took a new fuel line, carb kit, gas cap duckbill, and an oiler diaphragm (thanks again Tom C!) to get her running and auto oiling.

View attachment 389819

Dad was suprized how torquey these little saws run, and he liked the flashback to the 80s. I need to upgrade it to 3/8" lo pro, and it should cut faster than the 1/4".

It is my favorite trim saw for sure, little Tasmanian devil. I love cutting with my Dad, he was over today and we cut with my Son as well. Dad is 73, son is 6.

A couple of saws I been using lately for " light duty" work, limbing etc. are the PP295 & Partner 500. :)
They are fairly light saws, but I use a 20" on the 295 and 18" on Partner. I just like the reach better. I know it don't sound like much difference when compared to a S25 with a 14" or 16", but it does to me. LOL They work great too!, but I just like the added reach.

Truth be told, I use the PP380 quite a bit for lighter work. Its a tad heavier maybe, but it don't lack for power, when ya need it. ;)

Gregg,

I didn't think people bought and thought of the 295s as real Poulans. Don't remember who it was but I thought someone told me only look at the 300+ model Poulans, could be mistaken though. Guess you could use just about any saw for limbing.

View attachment 389819

Those top handle saws (I think they're considered top handle), how are they with kick backs? Doesn't look like you'll have a whole lot of control with your hand on top of the saw. Probably less likely to suffer kick backs though with the short bar.

On another note, I was sure there would be a Poulan for me at the flea market today. I've been wanting to go for several weeks and finally made it today. No Poulans in sight. I did see an old McCulloch with oil all over it, a couple Stihls (over priced though), and several electric models. All the guys that are able to buy saws in truck loads, I hate all of you.

I'll keep going back and hopefully a Poulan will show up someday. I did find a few things though. Bought a Leatherman Wave for $8, a Schick double sided shaving razor (if any of you older guys know how to use one, I appreciate any tips lol. Never tried one but always wanted to) for $5, a really old file holder with a big bastard file for $1, old rubber fireman's boots I believe that are steel toe (to use with chainsaw) for $5, Bostich pneumatic hammer with several bits for $10, and a old metal ice hook thingy that I'm going to use as a hook to drag logs out of my van.

Sorry, I know my flea market haul has nothing to do with Poulans but I'm kind of excited about the deals I found. I'm a dork, I know lol.

Back