Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry this is a little off topic, but had to share these pics. :yes: This is my sisters BF Kevin, some of you know him. He is at all the Poulan GTG's we have had, and helps me alot. Also the guy that I cut wood with, that uses all the Wildthings. LOL Its funny how some folks opinions change some over time. I put together a 4000 for him to use while back. Yes he now likes bigger saws also..LOL

I generally just wait for a buck while deer hunting. If i get one fine, if not, just wait till next year. He will shoot the first doe that comes by. LOL He always is telling me, "Ya can't eat horns". Well he got this dandy on opening day of our firearms season this year. Needless to say his opinion of horns changed..:laugh: Yes, it is at the taxidermist now..LOL
16 points and a beauty that he will enjoy looking at on the wall, long after the meat is ate and long gone.

Wood2014044_zpsf5e547f2.jpg

Wood2014052_zps5bc292d1.jpg

Wood2014053_zpsed6b158b.jpg

Gregg,

Freaking sweet. Was it taken around your area?

Dad and bro took a 8 and 9 off our lands that join. There is still a 15 on cam that hasnt been tagged yet. Took a pic for us after gun season too.

Freaking sweet. Was it taken around your area?

Dad and bro took a 8 and 9 off our lands that join. There is still a 15 on cam that hasnt been tagged yet. Took a pic for us after gun season too.

Yep, He got it opening day about 12:00 noon, Back by the woods where we hold the Poulan GTG at. LOL
He hunts from a pop-up ground blind. After we gutted it, took pics, loaded on the trailer, he checked the yardage with a range finder from where he shot it to the blind. 117 yards. 20 gauge with sabot. and scope. LOL My shots are usually in the 30-40 yard range and open sights. I will probably go out in the muzzle loader season, if it ain't to darn cold. LOL I can only take about 3 hours of sittin there freezin my you know what off and not seeing any..:cold:

Gregg,

Started on the super pro 380 tonight. I just did the floor in the shop so no saw work for 3 days. So, it looks like some maniac managed to start an run this sAw with NO exhaust exit on the muffler. Take a look at the inside of the cover. Luckily the internals look good, but the piston has a lot of carbon on it and the rings so the jug comes off tomorrow for a proper cleaning and inspection. Compression feels a good as my nos 330 so I'm happy there. But this stuff burns my a$$. I can't wait to run this sawimage.jpgimage.jpg

I didn't think people bought and thought of the 295s as real Poulans. Don't remember who it was but I thought someone told me only look at the 300+ model Poulans, could be mistaken though. Guess you could use just about any saw for limbing.

Well, its a real Poulan....just a slightly newer, cheaper model than what most of us prefer. There was some talk of these a year ago or so. Many guys said they weren't a bad saw for the money they can be had for. So I snagged one off Ebay cheap and fixed it up some. I have only "used it" several times, but no real complaints. So can't comment on the long term use. I would rate them above the Wildthing types and below the 330, 365, 380 types. They do have anti-vibe features and 46cc.

PP295014_zps98e64e0f.jpg

PP295007_zps178a7a5e.jpg

Gregg,

Started on the super pro 380 tonight. I just did the floor in the shop so no saw work for 3 days. So, it looks like some maniac managed to start an run this sAw with NO exhaust exit on the muffler. Take a look at the inside of the cover. Luckily the internals look good, but the piston has a lot of carbon on it and the rings so the jug comes off tomorrow for a proper cleaning and inspection. Compression feels a good as my nos 330 so I'm happy there. But this stuff burns my a$$. I can't wait to run this sawView attachment 389969View attachment 389970

I think it will be fine Joe. The one I have looked like it fell off a truck and bounced down the highway, then drug a few miles after that. :eek: Was beat to heck. I replaced some parts and got it going. It has been a real runner ever since. I love it, even if she ain't pretty. :heart:

3400380007_zps11657342.jpg

3400380011_zpse70ccf82.jpg

Gregg,

SWEET saw Gregg. I see yours has a front exit exhaust. Wonder where mine went:wtf:. Looks like 20"/3/8" combo on there?

Yes, I put a new bar & chain on her after I replaced the crankcase. The original was black 20". I found this on on the bay cheap as I recall. My 380 was rough to say the least. It always leaked oil bad when it sat. Then one day I found the problem. There was a small crack in the case, near the bar studs. when you tightened the bar nuts, it open slightly. I found a real nice crankcase from a 330. Same thing. I put new anti-vibe fittings in it also at that time.
You will love that saw Joe, once you get up running. Here is an older pic with the original bar and a video.

PP380001.jpg

What kind of compression numbers should a Super 380 have? I picked one up awhile back and just got around to checking it out. P/C looks pretty good with a small amount of carbon streaking on the piston and the comp shows 140# on my gauge. It also has a yellow handle instead of black, could that be factory?

What kind of compression numbers should a Super 380 have? I picked one up awhile back and just got around to checking it out. P/C looks pretty good with a small amount of carbon streaking on the piston and the comp shows 140# on my gauge. It also has a yellow handle instead of black, could that be factory?

Dan, If my memory serves me, mine was right at 170 lbs. It has always been one to watch the way you pull the rope on...lol It will jerk it out of your hand if not careful and have a good grip and pull with authority. Don't know if thats the norm or not, this is the only 380 I have had.

Gregg,

Carb adjustments aren't that had once you mod the needles to take a pocket screwdriver. I take off the carb and cut across the needles with a hacksaw til my screwdriver fits.

Sent from my Prism II from T-Mobile's slow edge network :-(

Carb adjustments aren't that had once you mod the needles to take a pocket screwdriver. I take off the carb and cut across the needles with a hacksaw til my screwdriver fits.

I know many who do just that but the fact is if you buy the tool it works much better than traditional screw driver needles. You barely have to look in to line it up and far less likely to slip off

I had the tools but we had a thief in the shop at work and its hard to prove who stole them out of my tool box, those tools have gotten expensive now.

We got cams now in the shop. They built an addition on the shop, almost separate from the main, just a wall separates the two. That's my shop now and I keep it locked to keep others out and plus I'm not bothered while I'm working in the peace and quite. :)

I know many who do just that but the fact is if you buy the tool it works much better than traditional screw driver needles. You barely have to look in to line it up and far less likely to slip off

I actually have to take the side cover and rubber guide piece off my Makita to make carb adjustments lol. Kind of hard to do since I have to tune in the cut. I don't see how people can do it without seeing the screws.

On another note, been looking at the acres internet site. Noticed a lot of the older Poulans list 40:1 mix ratio or higher. Most of the newer saws are 50:1 I believe. Is this just the result of EPA meddling or did the older Poulans need more oil for some reason? Guess it could be the oil quality has gotten better too.

I actually have to take the side cover and rubber guide piece off my Makita to make carb adjustments lol. Kind of hard to do since I have to tune in the cut. I don't see how people can do it without seeing the screws.

On another note, been looking at the acres internet site. Noticed a lot of the older Poulans list 40:1 mix ratio or higher. Most of the newer saws are 50:1 I believe. Is this just the result of EPA meddling or did the older Poulans need more oil for some reason? Guess it could be the oil quality has gotten better too.

Joe, I think the 361 I bought in 1979 calls for 16:1.

Back