Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know I didn't say that about the high compression and the ring looking new right? I don't even know where the ring is located.

Well I hope to learn as much as you. I'm the same way. I can follow written/spoken directions but it really doesn't click until I do it myself. I'm also the kind of guy that needs to know the how/why of things. It's a curse and a blessing.

lmao. You're right, I was crying in my beer a bit. I don't have time to do a damn thing on the weekdays! Only time I can work on the saw is the weekends. I may start waking up at 5 a.m. just to fiddle with it everyday before going to work. Now that will be dedication.[/QUOTE]

I play with the saws when I can. Like I said, I only know a little bit. I do know, though, spring needs to get here quick. I'm tired of tinkering around in an unheated garage with electric heaters.

What is it? Is that what they have or what you should install?

I have to look a 3800 up on acres internet. Hopefully the info is right.

Oh man, what have I gotten myself into? I'm about to be knee deep in chainsaws.

The GilArdoni cylinder is found on the 3450 Type 3 and 3750. Not sure if it's on other saws.

Finished my SP 380 today. Primed then hi temp painted the purple bad boy cover black. Then I put a couple strips of that aluminum tape on the underside above the muffler.
So all said and done, tore down, cleaned, new muffler kit modded, full fuel service re-build/replace, new starter handle, top cover, base gasket delete (moto sealed), cleaned and polished p/c and ex port, new cj 8 plug.
Happy to see 175 psi on my new tester. Bar and chain are off one of my nos. 330s, I'll be putting a new 20" Oregon on this one. Test run tomm, should be interesting
As it came in. Looked good
View attachment 394629
Tear. Down
View attachment 394630
Lucky this was the only damage from a sealed muffler...View attachment 394632
New partsView attachment 394634
Muff modsView attachment 394638
Looks like a Gilardoni cylinder, Joe.

id tell 'em you don't need my $$$, then... my dealer goes outta their way to help me. don't deal in poulan tho, so they'll call their competition, send me there if they have it...

Well I stopped by the dealer today to revisit the "crushing" policy. I've been simmering on this since last summer and verbalizing it here compelled me to go and have another chat. It was promising.

There is no local competition and that is a big part of it.

One thing I have discovered stopping in shops abroad is there are some that love selling chainsaws and others that cater to the enthusiast somewhat.

Then there is this "shop" (thread) here...All together a different program. Truly thankful for that.

175 psi! Damn, that seem high. Is that gunk build up on the bottom of the top cover or is it melted plastic?

These saws run high compression, I cleaned up the p/c and the ring looked like new, no base gasket helps a bit too.
Melted plastic from the a$$ hat previous owner mixing two different mufflers, neither part having an exit. So somehow it ran and super hot![/QUOTE]

Nice job on the 380 Joe! Mine still has a gasket, and as I recall it still has 170 lb. comp. You are gonna like that saw a lot. They have pretty good power and are not heavy saws. I wish Poulan had taken this design a step further, and made a 70cc version of this saw. Kinda like a gold & black Poulan version of a 372XP. :D

Gregg,

Not Poulan related, I posted this little Western Auto saw in the antique saw thread looking to see if anybody knew who9 actually made this saw and no one has replied so I thought someone here may. I think me and Mark talked about this saw two or three years ago, but I can't remember what we came up with. I'm thinking maybe an O&R saw. It looks a lot like the little blue Ford saws that that the would give you if you bought a tractor many years ago. This saw is 1/4" pitch and after rebuilding the carb and a new fuel line I got it running pretty good. It incorporates a auto oiler every time you pull the throttle trigger it activates a plunger for the oiler. It is a slow, but has a lot of grunt for such a tiny thing. It does have a compression release on it also. I will get a few pictures up as soon as I can find them again on my computer

This is probably a Craftsman 3400 clone right? Looks exactly like a 3400 to me. Going for $50 but supposedly needs work to run.

00U0U_fuNMqbbSaNg_600x450_zps8905b99f.jpg
So how does a bad kill switch keep it from starting? Just no spark?
Exactly.

Looks like a Gilardoni cylinder, Joe.

Yeah, it is. It's cast into the out side of the transfer port. So the 380, 3750 and some 3450s use the giladroni. Does my pp 365? It is 60ccs, I never looked but I'm going to now. Your right and we all agree a 70cc version would have been something
Ambull, it's hard to tell on the gray/black craftsmans. We know it could be a 3400 or 3800. Both with chrome piston/bare bore. The 3800 replaced the 3700, both 61cc...but most of us who have both saws prefer the 3700. These saws use the chrome bore, thin ring engine and usually have better compression numbers and more power. The 3700 also uses a more heavy duty
stater pulley while the 3400/3800 use the same plastic one. This is found on all the craftsmans too. Now, to find
what model that saw pictured is you type in the model no on the cover starting with 358. On Sears parts direct. It will tell you either 56, 61, or even 50 cc. Now they never actually made a 50 cc saw on this chassis, but sears DID market a 56 cc saw cheaper and call it 50ccs. Poulan did it too for a little while. Got all that?

image.jpg Took the saw to work and fueled it up. A few turns later and boy this saw screams. I've heard these saws respond well to a muffler mod, so it makes sense. Now I'm looking for a 3750 and 3450

Yeah, it is. It's cast into the out side of the transfer port. So the 380, 3750 and some 3450s use the giladroni. Does my pp 365? It is 60ccs, I never looked but I'm going to now. Your right and we all agree a 70cc version would have been something
Ambull, it's hard to tell on the gray/black craftsmans. We know it could be a 3400 or 3800. Both with chrome piston/bare bore. The 3800 replaced the 3700, both 61cc...but most of us who have both saws prefer the 3700. These saws use the chrome bore, thin ring engine and usually have better compression numbers and more power. The 3700 also uses a more heavy duty
stater pulley while the 3400/3800 use the same plastic one. This is found on all the craftsmans too. Now, to find
what model that saw pictured is you type in the model no on the cover starting with 358. On Sears parts direct. It will tell you either 56, 61, or even 50 cc. Now they never actually made a 50 cc saw on this chassis, but sears DID market a 56 cc saw cheaper and call it 50ccs. Poulan did it too for a little while. Got all that?

Yep I think I got it.

How do you tell if it's a Gilardoni?

Says so, right on the side. :D I think I heard talk one time that the fins on top of the cyl are rounded, and the others are not.

100_0146.jpg

Gregg,

I'll have to check the 375.

On another note, I've using the search function and read a lot of really old posts concerning Poulans. You guys (modified mark, yourself, redunshee, Guido, fossil, some guy named pioneer something, etc) have been helping dudes with these Poulans for a really long time! Thanks for all the info you've given me to fight boredom.

I'll have to check the 375.

On another note, I've using the search function and read a lot of really old posts concerning Poulans. You guys (modified mark, yourself, redunshee, Guido, fossil, some guy named pioneer something, etc) have been helping dudes with these Poulans for a really long time! Thanks for all the info you've given me to fight boredom.

Your 375 will not have a Gilardoni cyl. This is only on the newer smaller midsize saws like the PP380, 3750, 3450 etc. And maybe the earlier PP365 type saws too. The old Poulans like 3400, 3700, 4000, 375, 395, etc. never used any other type (manufactured) cylinders that I know of. Same for the 4200, 5200 and all those.

Gregg,

Latest posts

Back