Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your 375 will not have a Gilardoni cyl. This is only on the newer smaller midsize saws like the PP380, 3750, 3450 etc. And maybe the earlier PP365 type saws too. The old Poulans like 3400, 3700, 4000, 375, 395, etc. never used any other type (manufactured) cylinders that I know of. Same for the 4200, 5200 and all those.

Gregg,

FAst Gregg.

Your 375 will not have a Gilardoni cyl. This is only on the newer smaller midsize saws like the PP380, 3750, 3450 etc. And maybe the earlier PP365 type saws too. The old Poulans like 3400, 3700, 4000, 375, 395, etc. never used any other type (manufactured) cylinders that I know of. Same for the 4200, 5200 and all those.

Gregg,

That kinda sucks. Gilardoni makes it sound exotic.

That kinda sucks. Gilardoni makes it sound exotic.

Sounds a whole lot sexier than "ping-pow-poo" or whatever is coming out of China these days. :eek:
Although, I must say, I would be tickled if some Chinese company would reproduce pistons & cylinder sets for the old Poulans. I guess kinda crappy is better than none at all...:(

Gregg,

Sounds a whole lot sexier than "ping-pow-poo" or whatever is coming out of China these days. :eek:
Although, I must say, I would be tickled if some Chinese company would reproduce pistons & cylinder sets for the old Poulans. I guess kinda crappy is better than none at all...:(

Gregg,

Yep, sure does.

Weird how no one is producing replacement parts. Guess there's not enough volume/demand for it to be worthwhile. There has to be diehard Poulan fans somewhere though that would buy a bunch of stuff from someone able to fabricate items.

Says so, right on the side. :D I think I heard talk one time that the fins on top of the cyl are rounded, and the others are not.

100_0146.jpg

Gregg,

Is this what you are talking about Gregg. Fins on top 60cc G-cyl and flat on top 54cc.

Yep, Thats what I was talkin about...LOL Picture is worth a thousand words!

Gregg,

So did anyone mention why the Gilardoni cylinders are desirable? Also, since I heard the cylinder fins are there for cooling, do you think the Gilardoni cylinder will be cooler than a regular Poulan because of the added fins on top?

So did anyone mention why the Gilardoni cylinders are desirable? Also, since I heard the cylinder fins are there for cooling, do you think the Gilardoni cylinder will be cooler than a regular Poulan because of the added fins on top?
Not really sure. Maybe it was like the Coors mystique if you lived east of the Mississippi back in the 70's. More likely it was the easiest way to get a 60 cc cylinder.

This may be funny to you guys, it was to me.

I texted a CL seller about some Poulans. There were no model numbers listed or pics on his ad. He responds with the model numbers: 260 pro, 220 pro, 2150 2.1 c.i.

Then he says "Yellow saws are the pro series, green is a homeowner."

Not really sure. Maybe it was like the Coors mystique if you lived east of the Mississippi back in the 70's. More likely it was the easiest way to get a 60 cc cylinder.

Oh man I wasn't alive in the 70s and I lived in Hawaii most of my life. Never heard about the Coors mystique.

I read some really old posts about Poulans recently. Please don't tell me this is the same 4000 you've been working on for years?

Nice to be back.. I see it's now been several pages since I last posted ... lol.

Well, I bought a collection, and then had to pretty much clam up while I started sorting some of it out. I still don't quite know what I have.. I've been through about a 1/4 of the saws.. Gotten numerous running, sold a few, and bartered a few. I'm really loving it.. the wife doesn't hate me for it yet, so I'll keep plodding along.

Current events: Got a Pioneer 650 running on the weekend.. A Good fuel system rinsing was all it took, I'll tune it a bit.

XL-76 is my current firewood champ, but I just got rid of the vanguard chain on my Craftsman/Poulan 3400 (3700?) We'll see next round!

Parted with my 1200A, with hesitation..
Currently trying to get a 50 Rancher working well... have a Jonsered 621 waiting on some parts.. as well as a new Stihl B/C for an O8S..

Got my Homelites and Huskies all catalogued , now about ready to move onto the McCullochs..... Love it!!

Saws4.jpg Photo 2014-11-10, 7 52 03 PM.jpg Photo 2014-11-30, 5 02 53 PM (1).jpg Photo 2014-12-06, 2 13 42 PM.jpg Saws1.jpg Photo 2014-11-29, 11 51 08 PM.jpg

It lives!

20150115_144139.jpg

Finally got it running right this afternoon! After the carb kit didn't do it I decided to pull the carb off again and went further and pulled the reed valve off. The gasket was pretty smashed and tore when I pulled it apart. So I made a new gasket for the reed valve and put it all back together. That did the trick and she runs strong now! Pretty excited about it, was frustrating me there for a while.

Latest posts

Back