Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm at it again. Got a PP380 in the mail and started to tear it down to check cylinder. Do you think I can get the clutch off!!!!!! Not enough bite on the clutch for my impact. Broke off two ears using a drift. Heated the clutch, used PB Blaster and it still won't budge. Been at it for a least a day. Least I can still order a new oem one so I have some time to get this dang thing off. Never had this problem before on any saw. At least the cylinder cleaned up real nice and I have a new oem piston and seals for it.

Bob are you using the correct Poulan clutch tool? If not you should be. There inexpensive and do the job correctly.

Bob are you using the correct Poulan clutch tool? If not you should be. There inexpensive and do the job correctly.
Clutch tool? What's it looke like? Dang, my late Dad was right when he said" you gotta use the right tools". I'll have to look up the tool though with two of the three legs gone not sure it will work. Other option is to find a large socket and make the tool.

Well, I'm at it again. Got a PP380 in the mail and started to tear it down to check cylinder. Do you think I can get the clutch off!!!!!! Not enough bite on the clutch for my impact. Broke off two ears using a drift. Heated the clutch, used PB Blaster and it still won't budge. Been at it for a least a day. Least I can still order a new oem one so I have some time to get this dang thing off. Never had this problem before on any saw. At least the cylinder cleaned up real nice and I have a new oem piston and seals for it.

As much as I hate to mention it Bob....Were ya going the right way with it to get it off? LOL I know we are close to same age and all, might be a "senior moment" :D:eek:

Gregg,

As much as I hate to mention it Bob....Were ya going the right way with it to get it off? LOL I know we are close to same age and all, might be a "senior moment" :D:eek:

Gregg,
Gregg believe me I also thought about that. Looked at the clutch several times to be sure arrow was pointing clockwise Also looked up the POulan Special tools list and didn't see where there was a clutch removal tool for the PP380. Saw the gear puller but no clutch tool.
Bob

Here ya go Bob. Went out and got mine, took a few pics. The pins on the tool, fit in those notches on the center of the clutch.

100_0028_zpsdlq1s41n.jpg

100_0029_zpsdsefsa4u.jpg

100_0027_zpspjyr4zlx.jpg

Gregg,

I presume you're referring to Motoseal No 1. Did you check squish to see if you need a gasket? Usually you can go gasketless if squish is in the .018 or more range. I put a thin layer of No.1 or Dirko on both surfaces. Let No. 1 skim over a bit before installing cylinder. Should be good to go.

Yes the gray Motoseal. I guess I don't know what the squish is or how to check it. Is No. 1 a gasket type substance?

So the S25CVA I got came with an old 16" bar that isn't in the best shape and I have this other 16" Poulan bar that I was going to put on it. The
Poulan bar seems to fit but it's longer than the other 16" bar so I need to get a different chain. Anybody know where I can find info on how
many DL the chain for the Poulan bar is supposed to have?

20150201_000643.jpg

Yes the gray Motoseal. I guess I don't know what the squish is or how to check it. Is No. 1 a gasket type substance?

You can check "squish" by putting a couple pieces of soft solder on top of the piston, out near the edges, then slowly rotate the engine through its compression stroke by hand. Remove the solder pieces and measure them with a caliper.

Me personally, I would use a gasket on a 5200. They usually have pretty good compression with a gasket. 160-170 lbs. range if i recall. You can go either way. Motoseal #1 can be used instead of a gasket. It is impervious to gas & oil, where silicone based sealants are not.

Gregg,

You can check "squish" by putting a couple pieces of soft solder on top of the piston, out near the edges, then slowly rotate the engine through its compression stroke by hand. Remove the solder pieces and measure them with a caliper.

Me personally, I would use a gasket on a 5200. They usually have pretty good compression with a gasket. 160-170 lbs. range if i recall. You can go either way. Motoseal #1 can be used instead of a gasket. It is impervious to gas & oil, where silicone based sealants are not.

Gregg,

Thanks Gregg, if it was you would you make a gasket out of material or use Motoseal if you had the choice?

Thanks Gregg, if it was you would you make a gasket out of material or use Motoseal if you had the choice?

I would make a new gasket if was me..:) But thats me...LOL

By the way, I don't think that bar you pictured is gonna work on a S25DA. That looks to be a bar for a larger midsize Poulan, like a 3400, 306, etc. The S25 usually uses LP chain on a A041 type bar. Been so long since I fiddled with a S25...LOL

Gregg,

Freaking bull crap luck. In my search for a certain craftsman 3.7 I turn up another 4000 and 3.3 so far. The 4000 I cant pass up even though not a saw to my liking even though they cut great like a mule and any 65cc out there. Owned a nice running 4000 before and sent it down the road, will do the same with this one once in my hands. I just prefer the newer 415 425 3750 380 etc saws.

I have a pic but will wait till in my hands.

Here ya go Bob. Went out and got mine, took a few pics. The pins on the tool, fit in those notches on the center of the clutch.

100_0028_zpsdlq1s41n.jpg

100_0029_zpsdsefsa4u.jpg

100_0027_zpspjyr4zlx.jpg

Gregg,
I have one of those but it won't fit on the clutch

100_0028_zpsdlq1s41n.jpg

100_0029_zpsdsefsa4u.jpg

100_0027_zpspjyr4zlx.jpg

Gregg,
I have that but it doesn't my clutch. There aren't holes for it. I have the three shoe or leg clutch.

Your 380 has that 3 shoe clutch? Dont think those tools work on them. Then again I never removed the 3 shoe on a 3450 I had.

Yup. Three shoe clutch. Think I'm going to get an old socket, like 1.25" and cut it out to fit the shoes. Problem is I've broken two off the shoes trying to loosen it so it may not work as well. Time will tell.

Latest posts

Back