Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of those but it won't fit on the clutch

I have that but it doesn't my clutch. There aren't holes for it. I have the three shoe or leg clutch.

Hmmm. Thats strange. Mine has two half moon "notches" on the edge of the center section of the clutch. These pins just fit in those notches. This is a different tool that is used for a 5200, that has holes on the clutch.

Gregg,

Hmmm. Thats strange. Mine has two half moon "notches" on the edge of the center section of the clutch. These pins just fit in those notches. This is a different tool that is used for a 5200, that has holes on the clutch.

Gregg,
No notches on the clutch at all. I tried the clutch tool and it wouldn't fit. Do you have a two or three shoe clutch?

Well...Ya learn something new all the time. I didn't know they had different clutches for them saws. Mine is a two shoe I guess. :) Went out and took a pic. At least you can see the two notches I was talking about.

100_0030_zpstfnhs8bq.jpg

Well...Ya learn something new all the time. I didn't know they had different clutches for them saws. Mine is a two shoe I guess. :) Went out and took a pic. At least you can see the two notches I was talking about.

100_0030_zpstfnhs8bq.jpg

Thought it was counter clockwise to get the clutches off? Do I have a Chinese built PP375?

Thought it was counter clockwise to get the clutches off? Do I have a Chinese built PP375?

All clutches are the same that I have ever seen anyway, or can remember. LOL Turn clockwise to loosen, just the opposite from screws or bolts you would normally see. Its so the clutch doesn't loosen up on ya while running.

Gregg.

All clutches are the same that I have ever seen anyway, or can remember. LOL Turn clockwise to loosen, just the opposite from screws or bolts you would normally see. Its so the clutch doesn't loosen up on ya while running.

Gregg.

Doesn't your pic show clockwise to get it off? Sorry if it was mentioned in this thread previously. I wasn't getting post notifications for this thread so thought it went to an early grave. Had no idea you guys were still posting so there's a few pages I need to read over.

Freaking bull crap luck. In my search for a certain craftsman 3.7 I turn up another 4000 and 3.3 so far. The 4000 I cant pass up even though not a saw to my liking even though they cut great like a mule and any 65cc out there. Owned a nice running 4000 before and sent it down the road, will do the same with this one once in my hands. I just prefer the newer 415 425 3750 380 etc saws.

I have a pic but will wait till in my hands.
I will trade you a Craftsman 3700 for the 4000!!

Doesn't your pic show clockwise to get it off? Sorry if it was mentioned in this thread previously. I wasn't getting post notifications for this thread so thought it went to an early grave. Had no idea you guys were still posting so there's a few pages I need to read over.

YES!! Thats the only way I have ever seen them. Your PP375 is the same way. All my Poulans are the same way. Left hand thread is another way to say it, or look at it. :)

Gregg,

YES!! Thats the only way I have ever seen them. Your PP375 is the same way. All my Poulans are the same way. Left hand thread is another way to say it, or look at it. :)

Gregg,

Oh man you're right! lmao. I don't know what I was thinking.

I haven't seen many saws, but the crank on my Pioneer 3270sc has a right hand threaded nut and lock washer holding on the clutch. The problem was the threads were not proud of the nut enough . So, I am thinking standard left-hand.

Boy oh boy did I get that clutch snugged down big time.

Yup. Three shoe clutch. Think I'm going to get an old socket, like 1.25" and cut it out to fit the shoes. Problem is I've broken two off the shoes trying to loosen it so it may not work as well. Time will tell.

Scratch the clutch tool the 3 shoe 380 clutch should have the hex right on it. Like this.. 100_4951 (Custom).JPG

Since this 16" nos Poulan bar I got for the s25cva is the wrong mount, I'm going to get one that is right for the saw. Does anyone have any interest in this bar, I don't see myself using for anything.
20150201_000643.jpg

Help with points please. I have the repair manual thanks to a fellow member for the 141 and have the ignition apart. The points are the 2 small round contacts that open and close with the shaft rotation right? What should I clean then with and what exactly am I setting at .015".

I'll end up pulling the whole ignition housing off eventually. When I place it back on and have to set the gap to the flywheel and coil can I use the " business card" method. (lightly tighten bolts on housing, slide flywheel on and do not bolt down, set gap with business card, slide flywheel back off and tighten down- gap now set) Tell me if I'm wrong in my thinking. Thanks in advance.

Set and tighten the points with the flywheel OFF. Yes, the points are the two small round contacts that open and close. The points on most saws that I know of are opened/closed by an eccentric on the crankshaft. Turn the shaft until the points are as open as they're gonna be. Place your 0.015" feeler gage between the points and adjust the points (using the built-in slot and a screwdriver) until there is very SLIGHT contact between the two points and the gage. Remove the gage. Without opening the points try to insert the gage between the points. There should be microscopic movement of the points and should still be light contact. Put the cover back on the points. Place the flywheel and torque it down to the torque given in your manual. Voila!

Many opinions on how to dress the surface of the points. I use a points file (can be acquired at NAPA Auto parts). Be sure that the surfaces of the two points are in full contact when closed. Be SURE to clean the points off before setting gap. I use carb cleaner and a CLEAN business card. Turn the crank until the points are totally closed. Open the points with your fingers or screwdriver. Insert business card. Let the points snap shut and drag the card out. Repeat this until you're sure there's no more residue on the points (2 - 3 snaps should do it but more doesn't hurt.

Very important that no crap remains in point case. Also, be sure to LIGHTLY oil the piece of fabric that rubs against the crank. Don't want oil oozing out but do want enough to lub the eccentric. The oil keeps down the friction between the points arm and the shaft. Keeping friction down keeps heat down and extends the life of your points.
Think about what and why you're doing this. Educate yourself as to how this all works. Probly a write up in your manual.
Lastly, go forth and conquer

Back