Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, that lever is big, looks like a mail box flag. I'm glad the ones I have don't have that on them.

Steve

Yeah, but the top handle on the saw pretty tall, and that's where 'paddle' needs to reach.

I find these comments about some Poulan saws that are generally considered to be "so-so" interesting.

A couple of weeks ago my 15 year old Poulan wt4018 finally wheezed to a stop and upon inspection, it has a nicely scored piston.

I have cut a couple of full cords a year with it since buying it new.

I paid the same money for this pp5020 as I did for that wild thing back in 1999. It is 10x the saw!

...after getting about 15 years out of a Poulan 2150...sort of a Wild Thing.

My initial impression of the 2150, upon opening it as a wedding gift, was that "so-so" was too kind. I was used to my grandpa's Partner 5000+. But that little Poulan did me right for, as I said, 15 years of light firewood cutting and general tree maintenance on our partially wooded property (mostly cutting up storm-damaged silver maples and bug-killed elms). I had to pull the limiter caps to keep it jetted right, and at some point I added a purple chain brake off a dead wild thing. Other than that, its upkeep over 15 years of regular use included fuel lines twice, one carb kit, one recoil spring and rope, one clutch drum/spur, and one muffler. Two bars. Various chains. Always ran 32:1 mix with whatever two-stroke oil was cheap/available. I think that is pretty good.

What made me decide to retire it was, the coil worked loose and grooved the flywheel, and it was about time for another fuel system tuneup, and the compression had gotten pretty low judging by feel on the pull rope. I found a Craftsman version, in gray, of it on CL for $25 that needed a bar but had good compression so the 2150 became the Craftsman's parts donor. The Craftsman is still my small-tree-and-fencework saw.

I am embarrassed to say that I scrapped it after seizing it. If I'd have known about AS at the time I'd have tried to find another piston and jug, or at least offered its good parts to other Partner owners as trade stock or something.

I liked that saw a lot. Smooth and revvy.

I picked up a little grey craftsman model 358.356330. It looks like it could be a 3000 or close to it can anyone tell me what it is for sure?

Which model is it?
Here is a pic

No brake so I guess it's a US model.

If I recall, a while back there was a thread where someone stuck one of the bigger Stihl jugs on the 3700 series. Anyone have the link?

Back