Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started the 3000 last night! Runs awesome like I expected it would coming from Bob. Also started all the other saws just since it'd been a few weeks since any had run, sure the neighbors loved that haha!

I need to bite the bullet and buy something to check for air leaks though on the saws I work on. I believe it was Poge or JeremiahJohnson that suggested I get a Mity Vac, don't remember which model, but what do you all suggest I get to use for checking for air leaks?
I really need vac gauge also

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

All I can tell you is it says EASY for a newbie!! Thats me! Probably turn out to be skunk urine, but who knows..LOL
I was never into "craft beers", although many guys are. Some of the fellows from here that frequent are chainsaw GTG's are. I got another "kit" here that is American Pale Ale. Whatever that is..LOL Might try that one next, if this comes out drinkable. The one I just did is a Brewer's Best kit.

I'm thinking it is a lot easier and cheaper to just stop at the store and get a 12 pack of Miller High Life, that is what I drink..LOL

:cheers:
Gregg

Gonna be off topic, but oh well. For cheap and easy homebrew, you can do "ghetto cider", which is to buy some 1 gallon jugs of apple cider, some champaign yeast from the homebrew store, and a bunch of vapor locks. You can add some extra corn sugar to the stuff, spices, etc. But the basic thing is, pitch in your yeast, pop in the vapor lock, 3 days later pour the cider into a clean jug and leave the yeast layer behind, fridge it, and enjoy. ;P
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/cider.jpg

For some reason this old thing blew up in the survival/prep circles. I used to do it in the early 90s just to get glass jugs to brew beer in. But since the cider was there, and I had the yeast, oh well. Back then, effective cost was $1.39 for a glass 1 gal jug of cider, and 1 champaign yeast packet for 59 cents. The later you only need for the first jug, and then you can use that once it gets going as started culture if you have, say, 50 1 gal jugs. :D

Pricewise, you couldn't beat it. 5-7% alcohol booze for less than $2 a gallon. Freeze the result in a plastic jug in the freezer, pour off the liquid, and you got less booze, but higher octane. :D Poor mans MD 20/20.

...don't remember which model, but what do you all suggest I get to use for checking for air leaks?

MityVac 8500. All metal. All parts are replaceable. Does both vac and pressure with just the flip of a knob. Comes with a ton of fittings, plugs, etc. 'Bout 65 bux and worth every penny the first time it finds a leak.

MityVac 8500. All metal. All parts are replaceable. Does both vac and pressure with just the flip of a knob. Comes with a ton of fittings, plugs, etc. 'Bout 65 bux and worth every penny the first time it finds a leak.

That's what it was, thank Poge! It will save me lots of time, I know that.

Agree I bought one several years ago and I use it religiously. Think prices have gone up but it's indispensable.

Got my new to me 3700 going after a real good cleaning. Has a chain brake but I'm not sure I like it. May just put a regular clutch cover on it. Runs good but Missing something. Have a new chain coming so maybe it will improve. In the interim I picked up an Echo 600 P real cheap. Have to replace the piston but I hear good things about them esp. With a muffler mod and retuning.

Got my new to me 3700 going after a real good cleaning. Has a chain brake but I'm not sure I like it. May just put a regular clutch cover on it. Runs good but Missing something. Have a new chain coming so maybe it will improve. In the interim I picked up an Echo 600 P real cheap. Have to replace the piston but I hear good things about them esp. With a muffler mod and retuning.

Did you post a pic of your new 3700? What is compression on it? Mine is at almost 130 which I think is low but it runs good.

Did you post a pic of your new 3700? What is compression on it? Mine is at almost 130 which I think is low but it runs good.
Nate here it is. Notice the black tape on the handle. Cracked left side half. Figure I'd just tape it. Comp was 150 and I flipped the rings around I.e. Top to bottom. Notice the sawdust? Poor chain.image.jpeg

Nate here it is. Notice the black tape on the handle. Cracked left side half. Figure I'd just tape it. Comp was 150 and I flipped the rings around I.e. Top to bottom. Notice the sawdust? Poor chain.View attachment 477461

Nice, looks like it has a double slit muff mod on it. You do that one? Chain break is cool too. You think if flipped the rings on mine compression would increase some? Started the 3000 last night for the first time with the new bar and chain on it. Runs and sounds awesome!

Flipping the rings might help as the upper ring wears a bit more than the lower one, or maybe it's the other way around. Anyway other than another tear down it won't hurt. Yea, I did the double muff openings. Not perfect but it works.

Flipping the rings might help as the upper ring wears a bit more than the lower one, or maybe it's the other way around. Anyway other than another tear down it won't hurt. Yea, I did the double muff openings. Not perfect but it works.

Cool, I may try that with the rings then. Any reason for the 2 openings on the muff mod instead of one or you just like the look better than one?

Where do you get spark plug adapter
Nice, looks like it has a double slit muff mod on it. You do that one? Chain break is cool too. You think if flipped the rings on mine compression would increase some? Started the 3000 last night for the first time with the new bar and chain on it. Runs and sounds awesome!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nate here it is. Notice the black tape on the handle. Cracked left side half. Figure I'd just tape it. Comp was 150 and I flipped the rings around I.e. Top to bottom. Notice the sawdust? Poor chain.View attachment 477461

Nice Bob! You don't see many brakes in the US on that series.

Those brakes add a pound to the saw and that pound is very noticeable. There are lots of them on the saws up here.

Tim, by chance do you have any extra Poulan Countervibe chain brakes available for sale? I have one on a Poulan 4000 and love it. I'd really love to add more to my fleet in the interest of safety for myself and my oldest Daughter who cuts with me occasionally. Or, do you have a recommendation of how to round some up down here in the CONUS? Thanks for your time, Max.

No spares Max. I will keep my open for a junker for you if you like and strip the brake off if I see one. It may take a long time.

I guess the bad part is the saw would be at least $35 - 45 and shipping the brake to the US would be $15-$18 $55 or so to ship the whole saw.

I'm not even sure about the price anymore as the saw prices are high right now. I'm not sure if it's the time of year or people are just asking and getting more.

Max, I picked up a couple NOS brakes for the 4200 and up Countervibes of e-Bay a couple of years ago. I think Bryce was selling them and they were around $23 each. Not sure if he had any for the smaller chassis saws.

Back