Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe 530010829 is for the bar clamp (clutch cover assy) for the 3800. The two numbers I posted are for the outer bar plate. The 530002603 PN was used on the 2XX , 306, 3400 - 4000 and the 530025924 was the 4200, 5200 outer plate with an adjuster slot added which fits the 3400 - 4000 series. I guess they they superceded the early plate to make the one fit all. The 530025924 plate is a little larger but works fine.
Tightwad that I am, I just made a set of bar plates for my 4000 rebuild. Traced outline of both plates on appropriately thick sheet metal (happened to be galvanized) and cut it out with my Dremel. Drill holes with drill and smoothed the edges with grinder. Fits and works great. Done others in the past. Took about an hour for both. No muss, no fuss. Just sayin

Tightwad that I am, I just made a set of bar plates for my 4000 rebuild. Traced outline of both plates on appropriately thick sheet metal (happened to be galvanized) and cut it out with my Dremel. Drill holes with drill and smoothed the edges with grinder. Fits and works great. Done others in the past. Took about an hour for both. No muss, no fuss. Just sayin

Damnit, I knew I owed you something else.. Bar plates..

Unfortunately not new, that I know of, but havn't really looked. Yes, there is a duckbill valve that goes in the cap, thats what the star washer is for.

Gregg,

Thought I hit the jackpot, but just a bit too small of diameter. Nice how Homelite built a holder for the valve. The 2nd was too big.

caps 001.JPG caps 002.JPG caps 003.JPG caps 004.JPG caps 005.JPG

Thought I hit the jackpot, but just a bit too small of diameter. Nice how Homelite built a holder for the valve. The 2nd was too big.

View attachment 497546 View attachment 497547 View attachment 497548 View attachment 497549 View attachment 497550

Don't know how many Poulan saws you might have, but those duck bill vent valves are used in a lot of them. Some of the older saws like 306 & 245, the 25's, have them in the cap. Saws like the 3400/3700/4000 use them on the inside of the fuel tank vent line. The bigger Poulans , like the 4200, 5200 etc. use them also on the inside of the screw in vent screws. They are fairly cheap, so might get several. ;)

Gregg,

I believe 530010829 is for the bar clamp (clutch cover assy) for the 3800. The two numbers I posted are for the outer bar plate. The 530002603 PN was used on the 2XX , 306, 3400 - 4000 and the 530025924 was the 4200, 5200 outer plate with an adjuster slot added which fits the 3400 - 4000 series. I guess they they superceded the early plate to make the one fit all. The 530025924 plate is a little larger but works fine.

I just took another look at the IPL. You're right, 530025924 is the bar plate I need. Sure wish someone would chime in and say they've got a used one they can part with.

Don't know how many Poulan saws you might have, but those duck bill vent valves are used in a lot of them. Some of the older saws like 306 & 245, the 25's, have them in the cap. Saws like the 3400/3700/4000 use them on the inside of the fuel tank vent line. The bigger Poulans , like the 4200, 5200 etc. use them also on the inside of the screw in vent screws. They are fairly cheap, so might get several. ;)

Gregg,
The duckbills not really the problem. Problem is I've got a saw coming in without a fuel cap.

Usually lack of fuel. I've never had one surge that had an air leak but it wouldn't four stroke. Any chance your fuel line is soft? it could be collapsing under high fuel demand. Blocked tank vents may do that as well. easy to check that. Just loosen the fuel cap to let air in while it's running.
You may have a partially blocked high speed circuit in the carb or the metering lever may be too low. I'm assuming you put a carb kit in.
Maybe a dirty fuel filter.

What make and model is the carb?
Didn't get to check much on it Saturday but tried to run it with the cap off and it still surged at wot. Its a Tilly carb, didn't get the chance to pull it for the numbers. Had the carb apart and cleaned before I put it back in. Didn't put a kit in, everything felt good and soft, not stiff. Maybe next Saturday, we had to rebuild a PTO clutch PAC assm on one of the tractors so we had a busy day.

Steve

Didn't get to check much on it Saturday but tried to run it with the cap off and it still surged at wot. Its a Tilly carb, didn't get the chance to pull it for the numbers. Had the carb apart and cleaned before I put it back in. Didn't put a kit in, everything felt good and soft, not stiff. Maybe next Saturday, we had to rebuild a PTO clutch PAC assm on one of the tractors so we had a busy day.

Steve

If it's an HS carb, check the throttle shaft for wear on the spring side. That can cause an air leak that's not consistent.

Took a few pics of the saw with the muffler mod.

Started with a flat piece of metal in the pic and used that for my muffler mod.
I have to say out of all the 60 cc saws I have when these Poulans are modified they will out run everything else hands down. Just puts a smile on my face.

IMG_0881.JPG IMG_0884.JPG

"I have a potty mouth"!

So you're calling me tight azzed?

I did the same thing for a half dozen inners & outers of S25DA plates last month, but I used the hydraulic Whitney punch at work that does slots & rounds too.

The plates are normally the same, but I eliminated the oiler slot in the custom outers. Even press broke the corners....

image.jpeg

Steve
Had a surging problem. It was the spark plug. Go figure

May have to check that also. Got to glue air filter cover together, this thing has goobs of compression, it will snatch your arm out of socket without the compression release on. Handle snatched out of my hand and smacked the cover.

Steve

Latest posts

Back