Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you guys do for clutch bearings for the 4200, 5200 and 306/245 saws? They're nla............

Ok, so Dad picked up the Craftsman saw I bought for $30 a week ago that I was waiting on. I knew it was either a 4.2 or a 5.2. Well it's a 4.2 and it's in good shape, except for the most important part, the top end. Here are some pictures he sent me. It runs but the piston is scored pretty good. I'm going to try and save the cylinder and see if I can get a piston/rings for it and hopefully save it cause it really looks like it's in good shape besides that.

View attachment 531438
View attachment 531439
View attachment 531440
View attachment 531441
View attachment 531442

Ordertree still has 4200 pison assy's in stock
http://www.ordertree.com/poulan/partfinder/results/?src=ari&ProductID=530022125&ProductQlfr=PLN

What do you guys do for clutch bearings for the 4200, 5200 and 306/245 saws? They're nla............

Have it matched up at a bearing shop. Lots of caged needle bearings out there.

I would measure the ID on the clutch drum and the OD of the crank bushing as well as the length of the bearing and have that on hand as well.

I never looked but the bearing may have a PN stamped on the cage. You would likely need to look with a magnifying glass

Just got in the new to me 3500 and checking a few of the saws before the game tonight.

3500 pulled 160psi and my rebuilt 365 with the old scored cylinder cleaned up best I could by hand and new piston kit pulled 150psi.

The new to me 3450 pulled 180psi.
shocked.gif
Think I saw 185 but went back to 180.

Ok, so Dad picked up the Craftsman saw I bought for $30 a week ago that I was waiting on. I knew it was either a 4.2 or a 5.2. Well it's a 4.2 and it's in good shape, except for the most important part, the top end. Here are some pictures he sent me. It runs but the piston is scored pretty good. I'm going to try and save the cylinder and see if I can get a piston/rings for it and hopefully save it cause it really looks like it's in good shape besides that.

View attachment 531438
View attachment 531439
View attachment 531440
View attachment 531441
View attachment 531442
That's very nice Nate. I picked up a 3400 in Craftsman colors the other day.

Thanks Brian. I ordered a piston and rings tonight from ereplacementparts and hopefully I clean any transfer off the cylinder and I'll be good to go!
Have you or anybody else tried ordering Poulan parts from a Husqvarna dealer?

I stopped at mine this morning to pick a few things up. And was wondering after I left if they can order parts.

Does the opening on the 2300 oil diaphragm/filter face up or down? Dose the hose just hook from there right to the discharge hole? I'm all done just need to know the orientation, didnt know there was one when I took it out, oops.

The hose goes from the filter to the discharge port. By the hole on the filter I assume you mean the plastic piece that holds the foam filter? I would put the hole to the bottom so it's immersed in oil until almost empty. There's no diaphragm in there.

Back