Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ordered a new piston and rings for the Craftsman 4.2 I just got and finally got the saw in my hands yesterday. I pulled the cylinder and there was definitely transfer on it from the piston. I got a lot of it removed with 320 grit sandpaper but I was out of 150 which I need so I'll pick up some tonight so I can finish cleaning up the cylinder.

Here is a picture of the cylinder partially done, you can still see spots of transfer below the exhaust port. I'll finish up tonight and should be good to go once the piston and rings show up.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Here are a few more pics from after I got it wiped down and cleaned up pretty good, minus the muffler and cylinder. Really good shape cosmetically and nothing is broken. It will need a carb kit and new fuel lines as well. It still has the original fuel line on it that has the red paint overspray on it.

IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0869.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0871.JPG

I've ordered a new piston and rings for the Craftsman 4.2 I just got and finally got the saw in my hands yesterday. I pulled the cylinder and there was definitely transfer on it from the piston. I got a lot of it removed with 320 grit sandpaper but I was out of 150 which I need so I'll pick up some tonight so I can finish cleaning up the cylinder.

Here is a picture of the cylinder partially done, you can still see spots of transfer below the exhaust port. I'll finish up tonight and should be good to go once the piston and rings show up.

View attachment 531923

Here are a few more pics from after I got it wiped down and cleaned up pretty good, minus the muffler and cylinder. Really good shape cosmetically and nothing is broken. It will need a carb kit and new fuel lines as well. It still has the original fuel line on it that has the red paint overspray on it.

View attachment 531936
View attachment 531937
View attachment 531938
View attachment 531939
Feels good doesn't it [emoji41] [emoji88]

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I've tried many different muffler mod on these style of poulans over the years. But after watching the hot pattern on this 365 for awhile now I wanted to try this one.

365 just had baffle drilled out and no screen with oem exit.

I have done removed baffle with just 5/16 (thinking that maybe one smaller) holes drilled along the bottom rectangle indention. That one allowed front to be over tightened at times and if you were right on dry wood the exhaust was right on the wood.

I have tried the dual port on right side with and without the baffle. But still would see that hot area in center of front muffler with baffler even drilled out.

New one I am trying.

365 now has a front dual port in middle exiting to the right. Seems to be working perfect and not blowing forward in testing. You can see where the white hot area is in center of the front muffler cover even with the baffle drilled out.
Later on I will paint the muffler cover and see if it takes away that hot area now. Like the flow the muffler is giving me now too.

mufflermodpoulan 002.JPG mufflermodpoulan 004.JPG mufflermodpoulan 006.JPG

like this?

d36d8cc55426e9d3011439817dddfb2d.jpg

or more like a dremel but better. I want to make a couple but I think jigsaw would be slow so your method interests me.

Brian

Yes, just like that except that I have a 90 degree head to make cutting easier. On the base of the scallops I used a sheet metal router bit and then smooth everything out with a 3M sanding pad. I have access to everything I need at work, as I work with sheet metal.
nice, a sheet metal router bit. never thought of that, I have a router.

Brian

I've tried many different muffler mod on these style of poulans over the years. But after watching the hot pattern on this 365 for awhile now I wanted to try this one.

365 just had baffle drilled out and no screen with oem exit.

I have done removed baffle with just 5/16 (thinking that maybe one smaller) holes drilled along the bottom rectangle indention. That one allowed front to be over tightened at times and if you were right on dry wood the exhaust was right on the wood.

I have tried the dual port on right side with and without the baffle. But still would see that hot area in center of front muffler with baffler even drilled out.

New one I am trying.

365 now has a front dual port in middle exiting to the right. Seems to be working perfect and not blowing forward in testing. You can see where the white hot area is in center of the front muffler cover even with the baffle drilled out.
Later on I will paint the muffler cover and see if it takes away that hot area now. Like the flow the muffler is giving me now too.

View attachment 531976 View attachment 531977 View attachment 531978
Interesting alternative. I've always used the side gill but willing to try new ideas.

Interesting alternative. I've always used the side gill but willing to try new ideas.

Been thinking about it for awhile. If you look at the double side exits with baffle in. They still show the hot area in the front.
I always think back to DP covers that stihl has.

So I thought hmmm get it out of there faster and maybe run cooler too. Plus being louvered it is blowing to the right, not straight forward.

Same reason I went with this DP cover I made for my 084. If I did it now I would louver it.

s084dpcover.jpg

what's on the bench these days guys? i have a P51F that i will be putting together once the 2 remaining parts get here. The saw looks to be very clean. I also have 4000, 401A, 245A, 2300, etc i have playing with as well. i also have 6 oak trees needing to be dropped and cut up but just have not found the time yet.

Hey guys. Picked up a poulan tonight. It is dressed in craftsman gray. No other markings. I managed to get a good picture of the craftsman model number on top. To dark tonight for more pics. Can anyone tell me what I got? Thanks guys.

IMG_20161018_192026435.jpg

Back